Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lacey_girl

No "Back" button

I read in your Community Manager post that you would forward Nook Color product feature requests to the engineers. I have been meaning to make this suggestion/request since I bought my NC about a month ago.

I really like the tablet-ish features of the NC, i.e., web browsing, email, MS Word, PDF reading etc.

There is one feature that is sorely missing - a Back button. I know that there is a Back button now, but it only stays on the screen for a few seconds. I often read technical books on my NC and bounce around from chapter to chapter and also follow internal hyperlinks. Without a Back button that allows me to read for more than a few short seconds, the only way that I can return to where I was reading is to go the Table of Contents, go to the chapter and then page through the text to find where I was reading. The search feature isn't really a viable alternative either.

I sincerely hope that an improved Back button will be included in the next software update and that that update is coming soon! :-)

Thanks for passing this request on to your engineers,

Mary

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: No "Back" button

I agree that having the back button on all the time would be extremely helpful.  In the meantime, you can swipe the black status bar on the bottom from right to left (between the menu icon and the book icon) to go back a step.

Hope this helps!

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Lacey_Girl, I have added this to our list of requests for future firmware updates. In the mean time, Nallia's suggestion above should help you out (Thanks, Nallia!)

Reader
Mick33
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, swiping the bottom bar on Zonderman's NIV study bible does not take you back one step but rather exits out of the whole book to the home screen. Therefore, a back button would be a great addition to the next firmware update

New User
Nethingham
0 Kudos

I use NOOK for PC and Netbook and now Droid-RAZR. In spite of several updates that I have downloaded to my PC and Netbook, this simple feature of a back button is still unavailable. It means that I don't check the hyperlinked end notes because I can't remember where I was when I clicked. I iguess I could make a note each time but that takes longer than writing down the page# on a piece of paper. I hope the next version/update will remedy this oversight and hopefully soon.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

lacey_girl wrote:

>  I read in your Community Manager post that you would forward Nook Color product feature requests to the engineers. I have been meaning to make this suggestion/request since I bought my NC about a month ago. <

I just stumbled across this, but isn't it in the wrong Forum?  I.e., Nook vs. NookColor?

Nallia suggested:

> In the meantime, you can swipe the black status bar on the bottom from right to left (between the menu icon and the book icon) to go back a step. <

Unfortunately (as Mick pointed out), the back swipe is more of an inter-App navigational aid.  (Which would be better served by a visible Back button than an invisible gesture than many aren't aware even exists.)

What Lacey was talking about though is something I've found exasperating for a long time.  When you leave your current context in any book or document, by following a hyperlink, Bookmark, or Search result, you have a brief few seconds to 'cancel' the operation and go back.  Then that option button evaporates.  It's like having a lifeline, that gets cut before you have any chance to use it.  Getting back to where you just came from, or even knowing where that was, is a major PITA.  Simply put, there's no History.

This should not be this way!  Especially on a reading-centric device, which should do everything possible to make that experience not only pleasant, but efficient.  Being able to rapidly navigate through a document, or even between documents, should be a prime objective.  On any kind of reference document (think PDFs) this is especially annoying, but even within books it's a big deal.

I think Lacey's suggestion was a really excellent one, and long overdue.

- Mark

BTW, I did discuss this deficiency directly with the head of their Developer group, and suggested it be remedied, about 10 months ago.

New User
OSNOVA
0 Kudos

I agree with the above posters, the lack of a simple Back button that can handle not one but many back steps is like having a car without steering: you can drive forward for as long as you wish but you won't do it long.  This is beyond exasperating. For this reason, my Nook C is gathering dust while I use ereaders with their Back buttons intact.

I see that BN tried to introduce "Go Back" but it is always grayed out for me on my NC. Funny, I installed Nook on my Kindle Fire and the "Back" works there but only for one step back.

The back swipe?..  It has never worked. It always exists the book I read.

Another huge gripe.  When I follow a link, I expect to see the target text at the top of the page.  That's where my eyes go.  I don't want to be fishing for it at the middle somewhere.  Do BN software engineers read on Nooks themselves?

New User
bubbadawg
0 Kudos

I don't understand why there's no back button.  There is a button on the Nook for Mac app that allows me to check out a footnote and then go back to where I was reading.  Not being able to get back means I have to make a note of where I was so that I can find my way back.  So far that seems to be the only thing I really don't like about the Nook Color.