Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
acabal
0 Kudos

Nook Touch bug reports

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Since I haven't found a specific place to report software bugs in the Nook Simple Touch, I thought I'd leave a message here.  I suspect simply emailing customer service at bn.com would see these reports consigned to the void, and I want to make sure they get into the right hands.

1. Incorrect hyphenation next to opening quotes. I was recently reading a book where there was some dialog near the end of a line: "Castles?" he asked.  (The quotation marks were "fancy" quotes in the epub file--i.e. “ and ” ).  The Nook incorrectly rendered that line as "-(line break)Castles?" he asked.  It seems to have gotten confused and thought that the quotation mark was part of a word that needed hyphenation, and added a hyphen after the quote, a line break, and then continued the whole word on the next line.  I went in to double check that this wasn't an error in the epub file, and it wasn't--it seems Nook is incorrectly hyphenating here.
  2. Cover image not displayed in library when tag in content.opf is in different order.  I ran across this when updating an epub that was created with Sigil 1.3.2, with Sigil 1.4RC1.  I changed something innocuous in the text only to find that after uploading to my Nook, the cover art had disappeared in the library view.  After some closer inspection it appears that the order in which the attributes in the cover meta tag matter.  The tag <metadata><meta name="cover" content="cover.jpg" /></metadata> correctly shows the cover in Nook; however rearranging the attributes to <metadata><meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" /></metadata> makes the cover disappear in the Nook.

And a suggestion: PLEASE let us delete the Nook Manual and Quick Start Guide from the Nook.  I've already read them--do I really need them cluttering my library?

Hopefully these reports will end up in the right hands.  Please email if you need further clarification--I love the Nook Touch and would be happy to help it succeed.  Doubtless you can get my email address from my forums account information.

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch bug reports

Thanks acabal, I've forwarded these along to our dev teams. 

New User
zoonzox
0 Kudos

I have also experienced a few bugs using the Nook simple touch ereader. The nook will not save my page, highlights, notes, or bookmarks for several of the .epub books that i have put on my nook. (using the program calibre)

Contributor
megasuperlexa
0 Kudos

bug: open sideloaded epub on some page, goto Home. Press Reading Now - the book starts from very beginning, no notes or bookmarks.

BUT selecting the very same book from My Library restores it all.

It is now like 2 different books, each with its own highlights and reading position.

Reader 4
fckm0nkey
0 Kudos

I get the same experience too.
Money can't buy you happiness but poverty can't buy you no sh*+.
-Jhonen Vasquez
Contributor
borges
0 Kudos

1. Cover image not displayed in library when tag in content.opf is in different order.  I ran across this when updating an epub that was created with Sigil 1.3.2, with Sigil 1.4RC1.  I changed something innocuous in the text only to find that after uploading to my Nook, the cover art had disappeared in the library view.  After some closer inspection it appears that the order in which the attributes in the cover meta tag matter.
The tag <metadata><meta name="cover" content="cover.jpg" /></metadata> correctly shows the cover in Nook;
however rearranging the attributes to <metadata><meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" /></metadata> makes the cover disappear in the Nook.

I can't begin to describe my frustration that this was not fixed in the last update. It is a clear, easily reproducible issue. It has been brought up multiple times on these boards. It can be found all over various other forums and blogs. Someone recently told me he returned the Nook he got for Christmas and exchanged it for a Kobo in large part because of the covers issue. I wind up apologizing to people that I recommended the Nook to, having to sheepishly mutter, "Oh, right, that. It's a known issue, they're... working on it."

The Nook is clearly the non-compliant one here. Yet months and at least one update later, no change.