Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tommyraz
0 Kudos

Simple touch enhancement request

I'd like to request some future enhancements.  If any of these are actually available and I'm just ignorant, let me know :smileywink:

1. How many people fall asleep while reading in bed?  I do.  I wish I could set the device to power off instead of running the screen saver which exercises the battery for no good reason.  Alternatively, an option to put the nook in power save mode by turning off touch sensor and wireless and leaving screen as-is until user hits the "n" button.  I currently have my screen saver on maximum wait which is only 1 hour.
  2. It would be nice to be able to delete a book from the device instead of having to use a computer accessing the bn site to delete it.
  3. The shelf idea is better than nothing, but hard to deal with lots of books.  When editing a shelf, I wish it just showed me books that were not on any shelves and books on that shelf.  Then it would be easy to put a book I just downloaded or sideloaded on a certain shelf.  It would be easy to remove a book from one shelf and then put it on a different one.  I wouldn't have to scroll through the entire library.  Maybe some people don't want this filter, so you could make it optional.
  4. Why do I have to "purchase" a free book?  This is kinda scary.  I'm wondering "did I get charged a fee or something?"
  5. Some information looks better in landscape.  For example, a table with lots of columns.  This would be a great addition to the text options.
  6. Images can be hard to see.  Zoom and pan would be useful, perhaps via a pop-up form.  Like... touch and hold to select image, a form opens with the image and some controls.  Close the form to go back to reading the book.
  7. Being able to name a bookmark would be nice.
  8. Make it easy to flip between 2 books.  For example, you're in the kitchen following 2 recipes from 2 cook books.  Or you're reading a history book and want to consult an encyclopedia.  How?  Maybe add a button for "previous book" in the goto form.
Correspondent
Byteguy

Re: Simple touch enhancement request

1) The Simple Touch doesn't "run the screen saver."  It shows it and then goes to sleep.  YOU DO NOT NEED TO TURN OFF THE SIMPLE TOUCH.  It can run forever showing that screen because the e-ink doesn't use ANY power to show; only to change.  I haven't turned mine off since I turned it on (ok, I rebooted ONCE) and I'm only on my second charging.  All you're doing by turning it off is wasting your time waiting for it and wearing out the power-button.

4) Because even free books have DRM applied so they need your card to lock the copy.  I've "purchased" a bunch and they all show $0.00.  But, be careful to really read the screen.  There's been issues lately where a free book shows a cost at the final checkout.  Constant Vigilance!   And, always check after.  Call support if you get a shock.

Contributor
MikeF_NJ

2. It would be nice to be able to delete a book from the device instead of having to use a computer accessing the bn site to delete it.

I've been told by B&N reps in the store that this one came about because of people deleting books and then wanting to go back and read them again.  Deleting the book from your account means that you are deliberatly giving up your rights to read the book again without repurchasing it.  If you just want it off your Nook, but want to retain your rights to it, archive it.  (I don't know how archiving appears on the Simple Touch.  On my first Gen Nook, there is a setting to either display the archived books -- they appear grayed out -- or not display them.

I know, "Free Samples" are where this caues the most pain, because you can't archive them.

New User
tommyraz
0 Kudos

1) "It can run forever showing that screen because the e-ink doesn't use ANY power to show; only to change."

I understand that, but the screensaver changes photos on the screen.  The only options as far as I can tell are a slideshow of authors or a slideshow of nature or a slide show of photos I load from my computer (I haven't tried this yet).

4) "There's been issues lately where a free book shows a cost at the final checkout.  Constant Vigilance!   And, always check after.  Call support if you get a shock"

Thanks for the warning.  I will definitely keep an eye on it :smileysurprised:

Correspondent
Byteguy

tommyraz wrote:

1) "It can run forever showing that screen because the e-ink doesn't use ANY power to show; only to change."

I understand that, but the screensaver changes photos on the screen.  The only options as far as I can tell are a slideshow of authors or a slideshow of nature or a slide show of photos I load from my computer (I haven't tried this yet).

It shouldn't change.  Mine doesn't.  Try turning off the wi-fi (touch the little symbol) and let us know if that helps.  There's no reason to leave it on all the time while you're reading.  It just drains the battery.

Yes, you have the two sets and whatever you add yourself.

New User
tommyraz
0 Kudos

"If you just want it off your Nook, but want to retain your rights to it, archive it.  (I don't know how archiving appears on the Simple Touch.  On my first Gen Nook, there is a setting to either display the archived books -- they appear grayed out -- or not display them."

I tried it but it was still there.  But... I figured out what the deal was.  If I archive something that is on a shelf, it still shows up on that shelf until I edit the shelf and uncheck it.  Unfortunately, to edit the shelf and find the book requires dealing with a list of every freakin' book on the device.  If it allowed searching or filtering it would be manageable.

The solution for me, for now, is to just keep a small number of books on the device until a more organized system version is released.  So, archive all those freebies from my download spree.  Make a spreadsheet on my computer to keep track of archived stuff I've read or not yet read.  Don't download anything else unless I want to read it right now, otherwise wishlist it.

New User
tommyraz
0 Kudos

"It shouldn't change.  Mine doesn't."

Oh wow, you are right!  I don't know why I thought differently.  It just picks one at random and keeps it.  I guess my brain was wired to equate screensaver with slideshow from years of computer use.  I don't know.

Anyway, thanks!

And yeah, I do keep the wireless off unless I need to sync or shop or perhaps when I'm visitting a store (haven't tried that yet).  Thanks again

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

tommyraz wrote:
I guess my brain was wired to equate screensaver with slideshow from years of computer use.  I don't know.

And, we get used to thinking that "something being displayed on the screen means power is being used to display it."

Look at this link:

Simple Touch Teardown

Even when they take the screen entirely out (no battery, no case, NOTHING) it still displays the image.

Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

Actually the screen saver changes if there's interaction with the device, for example, let's say you hit the n button on accident when it removes the unlock swipe bar (because you didn't unlock it) it'll choose a new screen saver to display instead of just using the one already there, and while the e-ink may use no power when in sleep mode the truth of the matter is it's still a sleep mode, it's still using some sort of battery, but it should be months of standby before the device dies, unless you leave your wifi on.