Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Whitecat5000

Tell the Publisher Button Missing

[ Edited ]

Is there a reason the "tell publisher you want this book in nookbook format" button dissapeared?

Can we petition to bring it back? Pretty please!

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

Re: Tell the Publisher Button Missing

Whitecat5000 wrote:

Is there a reason the "tell publisher you want this book in nookbook format" button dissapeared?

Can we petition to bring it back? Pretty please!

I was wondering about this as well.  What happened to the link?  Is there a reason it was removed?  I liked having that available- unless of course, it wasn't doing any good at all.  I would like to to know why it's no longer there.

Thanks.

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Sam previously said it should be there. Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. You may be seeing a cached version of the page stored on your computer.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deemure wrote:
Sam previously said it should be there. Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. You may be seeing a cached version of the page stored on your computer.

Thanks for the suggestion deemure!  (I hadn't seen that other thread until just now- I just saw this one and jumped on in:smileyhappy:)

But it didn't work.  I clear my cookies etc just about every day; just did it again and tried IE in addition to Chrome, because sometimes Chrome is funky, and it didn't work on either.:smileysad: 

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I haven't recently tried it on my pc with firefox, but when I first saw posts about this, I checked using my NC and the link was there, now it is gone-using my NC again. Sam did say it was supposed to be there so I guess we will have to keep checking and hope it comes back.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
SLevine
0 Kudos

Hi all- As deemure said, the link may temporarily disappear as our web dev teams continue to update our homepage. We *are not* removing this link for good!   

Inspired Contributor
rvingmillers
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if this feature will be available again soon?  I really like having this option to let publishers know we would like the Nook Books.

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

rvingmillers wrote:

Does anyone know if this feature will be available again soon?  I really like having this option to let publishers know we would like the Nook Books.

yeah, they aren't telling us when it will be back. It has been gone since they shut down everything for an update, and all we hear is that they are fixing it, and should be back soon. Personally I want to know where to look once it is back. They keep moving things around and it gets harder to know where to look. But then again, maybe I am just stuck on how things used to be ordered.

naylorchic
0 Kudos

I just thought I would add that I still don't have the "Tell the Publisher Button" back. I have tried several different browsers and several different computers. Are they still working on this Sam?

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

tabascobaby wrote:

rvingmillers wrote:

yeah, they aren't telling us when it will be back. It has been gone since they shut down everything for an update, and all we hear is that they are fixing it, and should be back soon. Personally I want to know where to look once it is back. They keep moving things around and it gets harder to know where to look. But then again, maybe I am just stuck on how things used to be ordered.

tabascobaby wrote:

rvingmillers wrote:

No, it's definitely frustrating.  Things that are truly broken are being ignored, yet they keep making all these changes...like this ultra-white harsh background that hurts my eyes and makes me not want to be on these boards for more than a couple of minutes...but then, maybe that's the point.   I like some of the aesthetic changes being made to the site, but not this awful blinding white!  And I don't see the point of chaning the colors around when actual functional things (like the notify the publisher feature) are still broken!

Sorry to be a bit on the crabby side, but I am very frustrated with the way things are being handled over here.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Sarah3973 wrote:

tabascobaby wrote:

rvingmillers wrote:

tabascobaby wrote:

rvingmillers wrote:

No, it's definitely frustrating.  Things that are truly broken are being ignored, yet they keep making all these changes...like this ultra-white harsh background that hurts my eyes and makes me not want to be on these boards for more than a couple of minutes...but then, maybe that's the point.   I like some of the aesthetic changes being made to the site, but not this awful blinding white!  And I don't see the point of chaning the colors around when actual functional things (like the notify the publisher feature) are still broken!

Sorry to be a bit on the crabby side, but I am very frustrated with the way things are being handled over here.  

While I agree that they do sometimes at least appear to ignore things, I also know, from maintaining webpages at work, that when something isn't working, it can take a while to figure out why and how to fix it without breaking something else.  I looked at the code for the book page, the option is in the code, but something is apparently blocking it from displaying.  I have had instances at work where something isn't working or displaying properly, and when I fix it, something completely unrelated stops displaying properly.  It's extremely frustrating.  But I'd rather they take the time and fix it right, than rush in and have something else stop working as a result of the fix.

Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
0 Kudos

I've tried from work and from home and I am not able to see the button either.  I really liked this function.  I have had a lot of older books I have voted on that are now coming available so it does work.  I'm resorting now to going onto Amazon's website to vote for a book to come out in Kindle form and hope that the publisher will also release the Nook form also.  B&N really needs to get this feature back up and running for everyone.

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

suzatm07 wrote:

I've tried from work and from home and I am not able to see the button either.  I really liked this function.  I have had a lot of older books I have voted on that are now coming available so it does work.  I'm resorting now to going onto Amazon's website to vote for a book to come out in Kindle form and hope that the publisher will also release the Nook form also.  B&N really needs to get this feature back up and running for everyone.

What is really frustrating for me is that the books I want to notify the publisher about, are ebooks available for the kindle! I thought it might take a week or maybe two for it to come here.  It has been like 2 months and it still isn't available as a nook book

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

It's probably like the crosswalk buttons in my town.  You push them, they make a nice clicking noise, and you wait for the light feeling that your request has been noted but they aren't actually ATTACHED to anything.

Tabasco... there ARE ways of de-kindling books.  I would NEVER suggest that one google "Apprentice Alf's Blog" and find those ways if they really wanted to read a book they were still waiting on and were willing to pay for but need in another format.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

tabascobaby wrote:

suzatm07 wrote:

What is really frustrating for me is that the books I want to notify the publisher about, are ebooks available for the kindle! I thought it might take a week or maybe two for it to come here.  It has been like 2 months and it still isn't available as a nook book

Did you check inkmesh.com to see if it is available anywhere in an epub format?  You can purchase books from other sources, like Kobo and Sony, you just can't purchase from Amazon or the iBookstore.  If it is only available at Amazon, it may be one of the publisher exclusives that Amazon has, but check inkmesh first.

Correspondent
tabascobaby

i Would but I have the gift cards for bn and use those instead of the cc to limit my spending. If I get used to trying other locations I would go over my book budget.

Thanks though!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

tabascobaby wrote:

i Would but I have the gift cards for bn and use those instead of the cc to limit my spending. If I get used to trying other locations I would go over my book budget.

Thanks though!

I would still look on inkmesh to see if it is available in epub or only for Kindle.  That would give you an idea of how much chance you have of it being on the BN site.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

tabascobaby wrote:

Thanks though!

I would still look on inkmesh to see if it is available in epub or only for Kindle.  That would give you an idea of how much chance you have of it being on the BN site.

I love inkmesh, but I've had more luck finding things on addall.com.  So I always check both.

Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

Any news on when the button will be bacK?

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Not sure who wrote this, it was replied to several times and I lost track of where it started.

I totally agree with you about the pages being in "bright white" and I agree that it is VERY blinding and very hard on the eye's.  I wish they would bring back the soft color background, this white is horrible!  I doubt they will listen to us considering they never seem to listen to their customers requests.

Wishful thinking,

Pinky:smileyhappy: