Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
anonymouseCRS
0 Kudos

nook wish list -- access

Hi -- I have rather large nookbook wish list (~ 300-325 titles). I have not been able to access it today from either my PC or my nook (1st gen). On my PC, I get a message that "the creation has reached the limit." On my nook, I get "unable to complete the operation - please call 1-800-the-book if the problem persists." Since I despise going through the phone, can someone tell me if 1) I have reached some arcane otherwise- not-described size limit, or 2) this is just a temporary glitch at B&N.

If 1), how can I gain access to reduce the size (and what is the limit)? If 2), when is it estimated to be fixed?

Thanks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: nook wish list -- access

I have no trouble from PC, so I'm guessing you've hit some sort of limit. (Why you would need a 300+ item wishlist is beyond me.)

I'd call CS since you are in the catch-22 of too large to access, so you can't access to reduce the size.

Reader 4
LisaLovesToReadLD
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. One customer service chat told me they were aware of the problem and trying to fix it.  Another CS chat told me to clear my cookies and restart my computer and that did not work either.  I get the same message from different computers.  Hope they fix it soon

Contributor
anonymouseCRS

The reason the list has grown is that when I come across a title that sounds intriguing, I add it before I forget about it. Then, when I want to buy a book I can browse the list to see what strikes my fancy on that day. Other items include books that haven't been published yet that I don't want to pre-purchase. Some are books that I think are too expensive and I'm waiting for the price to drop.

I REALLY hope you weren't trying to sound snarky . . . I've got 400+ books on the nook now, and at least double that in hard copy on my shelves. I'm a reader, plain and simple.

Contributor
sfamike1976
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue as well.  And I don't have as many books as you do on my wish list. I think I have 125 books after adding 3 today.  I add books that sound interesting and then check my wishlist each day to see if any are on good deals so I can buy them if they are.  I have even checked mine from different computers as well as my phone, which says I need to create a wishlist. I hope they do fix this problem so I don't have to check for each book daily to see what kind of deals are out there on them.

Contributor
anonymouseCRS
0 Kudos

FYI -- I broke down and called customer service. It appears that they are getting a number of calls today regarding inability to access wish lists. Thus, it appears to be something going wrong at B&N's end. I'll wait until tomorrow to try again.

By the way, I asked about size. She thought there was a size limit on wish lists, but couldn't find a number. However, she also thought that it was unlikely to max out at 300 books.

Reader 2
lannadelarosa
0 Kudos

Just got this error today. It has not been fixed, apparently.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

I just got this issue today as well. I think I only had something like 120 titles. 

Contributor
KayoMO
0 Kudos

I only have about 60 on my Nook wish list. I didn't think that was to much. From the sounds of everyone else, I need to add more.  :-)

RHWright
0 Kudos

anonymouseCRS wrote:

The reason the list has grown is that when I come across a title that sounds intriguing, I add it before I forget about it. Then, when I want to buy a book I can browse the list to see what strikes my fancy on that day. Other items include books that haven't been published yet that I don't want to pre-purchase. Some are books that I think are too expensive and I'm waiting for the price to drop.

I REALLY hope you weren't trying to sound snarky . . . I've got 400+ books on the nook now, and at least double that in hard copy on my shelves. I'm a reader, plain and simple.

Sorry if my comment sounded snarky. I'm a reader, too. With several hundred nook titles and easily 10-20 times that in hardcopy. So I totally understand.

Personally, I find it difficult managing the extensive library of titles I own, let alone a several hundred item of titles I want to read. I tend to keep my wishlists <50 items, max. Beyond that it becomes unmanageable for me. But to each their own.

One way I keep it down is by only putting one book from an author or series on my list. I just need a reminder of which one I need next, not the titles of, say, the next 6 in a series to know what's in the queue. Otherwise I can easily see how you'd end up with so many.

Another tip/tick: I often just download a sample, even if I don't get to it immediately. I let that serve as my "wishlist" in many cases, at least for nook books.

Anyway, good luck resolving your issue.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Goodreads

At the risk of taking this thread completely OT, I'll just mention briefly that Goodreads provides excellent tools for managing your library, including a "to-read" list that you can prioritize however you like. You can also subdivide the list by creating shelves and assigning each book to one or more of them (e.g. "to-read-2012," "to-read-2013," "to-read-fiction"). It's also a very active social site with message boards for many areas of interest.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Goodreads

I finally just signed up for goodreads & I'm in the process of getting my library up and organized. I'll let y'all know when I'm ready to go public. Looks like a really cool sight. I heard so many, well, good things about it that I finally had to check it out.

avid_reader1590

I had about 60 books on my ebook wish list too that have disappeared with the "creation" message. I went into my local B&N yesterday and after much discussion and a couple of phone calls to techical support we were told that it was "something they were aware of and they were checking into it" So I guess that will be the end of it..they will continue to "check" into it and we will continue to get the message and no list. I love my nook but I have not been impressed with how most of the problems are solved....or ignored. 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Frequent Contributor
jesla
0 Kudos

I got the "creation has reached it's limit" message today. According to B&N's "Help"  file, the Wish List limit is 500. I have less than 30 on mine so clearly that is not the problem.

°°° I posted about this on a similar thread before finding this one.

Contributor
SeniorMG
0 Kudos

It's definitely a B&N problem.  I only have ab out 25 books and I got the same message.

Contributor
highlandrose
0 Kudos

I have about 50 and got the same message.

It would be very considerate of them to post a warning that you could lose your wishlist.  I would have gladly made a pen&paper note of the book I was adding, and waited until this was resolved.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

highlandrose wrote:

I have about 50 and got the same message.

It would be very considerate of them to post a warning that you could lose your wishlist.  I would have gladly made a pen&paper note of the book I was adding, and waited until this was resolved.

I really don't think the wishlist is actually lost, it's just currently not accessible.  Unless of course the entire database was destroyed and there's no backup anywhere.  My assumption at this point, is that it's simply missing in action right now and if they ever figure out how to fix the website, it'll show back up.

AikiPen
0 Kudos

I agree I don't think the wish is lost, just how you get to it is messed up on B&N servers. I have 381 books on my wish list. I have reached the 500 limit in the past. When B&N did a wholesale price increase on non agency 6 books I broke all the price increased books out into a list of my own called You've Got To Be Kidding Me. I check this list regularly and have had the occasion to move books back to my wishlist. Lists you create have a 100 item limit.

Contributor
KayoMO
0 Kudos

Its been about a week with no ewish list. Any idea at all when it should be back, or IF it will?

Frequent Contributor
kathybaug
0 Kudos

Today, sometime between 4 and 6pm I lost access to my ebook wishlist.  I can get to all my other wishlists except My Nook Book Wish List.  I had between 30 and 40 books on the wish list.

One peculiar thing I noticed: when I click on the drop-down See My Other Wish Lists button, there is a line consisting of ^^ between the line saying My Wishlist and My Nook Book Wish List.  That line wasn't there before today.

For those of you who had wish list problems, has anybody gotten their wish list back?  Do you think calling Customer Service is useful?  At least to let someone know there is a problem?