Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
MarisadelosSantos
0 Kudos

Re: The first encounter, from PIPER's viewpoint!

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Ok, if you can stick with this lol. This is the first encounter of Piper and Cornelia, if told by Piper,instead of Cornelia. I didn't spend all day on it, so take it for what it is lol. Oh and Marisa, I did use a few actual lines from that scene too lol :smileywink:

Good one Viv! I think you may have a new career on your hands. It really does make you realize that everyone's perception is different. Even at the same event no two people will recall it exactly the same. That being said - I can't imagine it ever happening that way! I do think that Piper thinks that it happened that way though. I'm sure that she sees every exchange as an opportunity to share her wealth of knowledge with the world. She is singlehandedly saving mankind from bad hair, wrinkled clothes and poor table manners. Hey, somebody's got to do it. :smileysurprised:

Well i have to admit, I was giggling on the part about "professional people". And with a place to put in her take on the no handshake Cornelia mentioned and making it about it must be the prof. peep's secret handshake she didnt get, I did crack up at my own writing, hehe. Hey as long as I amuse myself I guess lol. :smileywink:

I love this! I'm wondering if Vivian felt the way I felt when I wrote the Piper sections: why am I not having more trouble channeling this narrow-minded, snobbish, judgmental, and deeply angry woman??!!

Marisa
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

MarisadelosSantos wrote:

I love this! I'm wondering if Vivian felt the way I felt when I wrote the Piper sections: why am I not having more trouble channeling this narrow-minded, snobbish, judgmental, and deeply angry woman??!!

Marisa

LOL Marisa! I think most of us could channel her well, but just don't want to admit it lol. I really think thats about how Piper would see that meeting, that she was not the one being snobbish, just polite and proper and thinking CORNELIA was the one being stuck up or stand offish! But I had to add what she might be thinking about it inside, just as how we laughed at how Cornelia was thinking about it on the inside, or how she would describe it to Teo. If we wrote the story from Piper's side that way for several chapters, keeping humor on her side too, and not hearing Cornelia's thoughts, just her actions, we might be inclined to think Piper was the cool one and Cornelia was the stuck up "professional" from the city who wasnt even trying to fit in or something.

We said before that we trust Cornelia's voice as a reliable narrator, and I think we can, but after doing this little fun exercise, I would have to say, we can trust her as reliable given the facts as she knows them and given her personality to put them into her perspective. Just as you can't step in the same stream twice, no two people see the same thing the exact same way, because our own personalities, experiences and beliefs will color what we see.

Heck, its like, did you ever think that if you and I both were standing side by side, looking at a green (or any color) piece of paper, with nothing else on it, there is absolutely no way to know if we are seeing the same color. You can have a 1000 people see the same green, and have them match it to another piece of paper lined up in a row of various greens, and if all 1000 pick the exact same paper to match it to, that STILL doesn't mean, they are seeing what you do. It means they are still seeing in it what they saw in the first one with you, and what you pick matches what YOU saw when you both looked at the first piece of paper. All we prove is that we agree we both see the same things in that second piece of paper that we both saw in the first when we knew that we were both looking at one piece of paper. We see the same thing we saw before, but theres no way to prove we ever saw it exactly the same as each other did the first time, we just know we saw it together. Ok, did that just give anyone brain freeze, or make them snore? LOL. We both saw a green piece of paper. Maybe I saw it more of a bluish green and maybe you saw it more as a lighter green. When we see the one in the line of papers that matches it exactly. It doesn't prove I saw what you saw, your lighter green, or that you saw what I saw, the bluish green, it just means that we agree its the same color as the first. Ok, anyway, not much to do with this story, I am just getting off on one of my "did you ever think?" thoughts that used to drive my mother nuts! LOL. I think Dev and I could have some great deep convos LOL! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

LOL Marisa! I think most of us could channel her well, but just don't want to admit it lol. I really think thats about how Piper would see that meeting, that she was not the one being snobbish, just polite and proper and thinking CORNELIA was the one being stuck up or stand offish!

We said before that we trust Cornelia's voice as a reliable narrator, and I think we can, but after doing this little fun exercise, I would have to say, we can trust her as reliable given the facts as she knows them and given her personality to put them into her perspective. Just as you can't step in the same stream twice, no two people see the same thing the exact same way, because our own personalities, experiences and beliefs will color what we see.

Kiakar wrote: Maybe it was Cornelia's writing but it seemed Piper was a bit stuck up.

Hah! Linda you are very diplomatic but I think that Piper is the very definition of stuck up! :smileyvery-happy: The more I read the more I see that she is a complex and caring person but that is still a good word for her.

Vivian wrote: I think most of us could channel her well, but just don't want to admit it lol

That's sometimes true but she's also a person who speaks up and says what we might wish we could say. I don't think she always intends to be harsh or mean, she just thinks she's always right. I don't get the impression that she ever censors herself either.  I agree that perspective makes a difference but their personalities also lead us to believe that these characters are pretty close to the way they were described. Cornelia is more bubbly, friendly and possibly likeable where Piper is proper, reserved and doesn't seem as approachable.
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 259 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: