Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Dev

Is it possible not to love Dev? I found one of the great early satisfactions of the novel to be that Dev finds himself at home in his surprise new home. Which also wins Lake great affection from me as a reader, too!

What do you make of our Wiz Kid? Are his motivations, emotions, friendships any more simple than those of the adult characters? Do you trust his instincts?

What do you make of his relationship with his mother?

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Dev

Dev is an amazing kid! He is way too smart (IQ wise) for his age, but he has some real maturity in handling it. I love his relationship with his mother and hers with him. Thats pretty amazing in and of itself too. That they can sit at the table and have such open discussions about things he is interested in and she can join in without making him feel weird about it, or that its not of interest to her, or all those things kids worry about, talking to their parents about their interests, is pretty special.

He is a kind boy too. He knows Lyssa has some problems, but never makes her feel uncomfortable about it, even though he is often uncomfortable with her! He has a great relationship with Aiden. This is not one of those genius kids who shies (sp) away from other kids his age. And oh, Clare. I am so tickled by reading his reactions to her and his reactions to his reactions lol. Is there anything better than those first budding feelings? Or as scary and fragile?

At the same time, he is a kid who has a child's needs. He wants a father, his father. He wants to know him, be loved by him. I can relate. I found out at 15 that the father I had known, who had abused me in many ways, was not my father and I was SOOO relieved, that all I wanted to do was find my real dad. I did get to meet him a year later and it was like a missing piece to a puzzle. I never really felt I fight with my brothers and sister, but I felt an instant sense of belonging with him. And he had been looking for me. I found someone with my eyes, my skin coloring, my crooked grin and he even compared our hands. I loved him about instantly. So I feel for Dev and his hunt and sometimes worry if he should look or not. I think for me, it was two things that made it important. One, I needed to fill that sense of belonging, that I wasnt feeling and didnt know why and two, to know it wasn't my real father who could hurt me so badly, that I had a real father out there who loved me, and he did!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Is it possible not to love Dev? I found one of the great early satisfactions of the novel to be that Dev finds himself at home in his surprise new home. Which also wins Lake great affection from me as a reader, too!

What do you make of our Wiz Kid? Are his motivations, emotions, friendships any more simple than those of the adult characters? Do you trust his instincts?

What do you make of his relationship with his mother?

As you said, who could not love Dev.  He is mature beyond his age, as is Clare, so they make a great pair.  Both Dev and Clare felt the need to care for their parents, which, I think, made them grow up quickly.  Dev does show his vulnerabilty though when it comes to his longing for his Dad.  We, as readers, needed to see that vulnerability, otherwise I would have thought him too good to be true or realistic.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Dev is such a great character. He has the brain of a genius but he still has the wide-eyed wonder of a child. His curiosity is so innocent and so is his desire to find his father. Everyone wants to feel wanted and to know where they came from. We often take that for granted if we have it but long for it if we don't.

I do think that Lake is an amazing mother and they have a very close relationship. I envy how well they communicate with each other. She has certainly had her challenges as a single parent of a child with special abilities. She does handle it well and gives her son all of the attention and opportunities that she can provide.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Oh! I was fastinated with Dev also. He didn't seem real but with expert writing, the author with her uniquc writing made him as real as the others.
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 722 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: