Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Drama of the Burbs

In her welcome, Marisa talks about how compelling she finds the desire to build a "home" that drives so many people to the suburbs. How are Cornelia, Piper, and Lake doing that?

Do you recognize this hunger for the sprinklers and green lawns and the chorus of mothers' voices that Cornelia is driven to find or build in this new home? Or do you need the endless teeming mix of life and adventure in the city? This is a favorite quote along those lines from Frank O'Hara:

"One need never leave the confines of New York to get all the greenery one wishes--I can't even enjoy a blade of grass unless I know there's a subway handy, or a record store or some other sign that people do not totally regret life."

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Drama of the Burbs

[ Edited ]
It's interesting that the characters look for home in the suburbs.

Home is a variable concept... for example, Teo thinks of home as the smalltown where he and Cornelia grew up, and where his parents still live. To him it's a fixed address.

For Piper, her search for home is how appropriately things fit into place... the perfect lawn, the perfect hydrangea bush... the appropriate outfit for a parents' meeting... her trust of what is appropriate is what someone else's trust in God would be... indomitable and absolute.

I can understand how Piper would imagine homelessness to be... as bottomed-out and a desperate state... like a character out of Waiting for Godot by Becket, or that painting The Scream by Edvard Munch.

Cornelia's idea of home is more a search for interconnectedness... raising her family, connecting with the community, wanting to feel enfolded with the protectively familiar, with some sense of belonging.

That's why her initial excitement of moving to a new neighborhood died quickly courtesy of what she perceived was a frosty reception by Piper and other suburban wives. She felt that her search to be connected might be an elusive dream ... thinking that others would be as glad to have her as she was glad to be there.

My idea of home is more along the line of the poet Czeslaw Milosz ... "To find my home in one sentence--concise, as if hammered in metal." 

Home is not always a matter of real estate.

IBIS

Message Edited by IBIS on 05-06-2008 04:36 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Drama of the Burbs

rkubie wrote:

In her welcome, Marisa talks about how compelling she finds the desire to build a "home" that drives so many people to the suburbs. How are Cornelia, Piper, and Lake doing that?

I think Piper lives where she does because it is best for the entire family --- good schools for the kids, appropriate playmates nearby, and like minded parents with the right degrees and jobs all striving for the American dream.  I don't think she ever expected to be anywhere else.

Cornelia and Lake both move to the suburb escaping something as much as working to create something new.  Lake seems to be escaping Dev's bad school experiences and something mysterious (don't want to be a spoiler).  Cornelia seems to be escaping the failed attempts at pregnancy and having a child.  Both Cornelia and Lake seem to be hoping that living in "the right place" will change their luck.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 525 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: