Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Elizabeth

We certainly need a whole thread for this wonderful character! Elizabeth seems both a major and a minor character in this novel. We don't follow her growth as a person, we don't "see into" her head, but she seems such a major force in the book--her easy grace, her terrible suffering, her honesty.

What do you think of her role in the novel? What does Elizabeth show us about the other characters who come into contact with her? How well do you feel you get to know her--her personal history, what she's like as a wife, a friend, a mother?

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth

rkubie wrote:
We certainly need a whole thread for this wonderful character! Elizabeth seems both a major and a minor character in this novel. We don't follow her growth as a person, we don't "see into" her head, but she seems such a major force in the book--her easy grace, her terrible suffering, her honesty.

What do you think of her role in the novel? What does Elizabeth show us about the other characters who come into contact with her? How well do you feel you get to know her--her personal history, what she's like as a wife, a friend, a mother?

This character's story was hard for me to take. I recently lost a sister to cancer. Of course she wasn't as young as Elizabeth and Thank God her children were grown but she had a one year old granddaughter she  wanted so badly to see grown. Elizabeth and my sister were similiar in the respect of being realistic. They planned their death, in some words. Maybe not every detail but it was like they didn't want death, but knew it was a reality. They both were trying to make the path easier for the ones left behind.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth

rkubie wrote:

They say, "Things happen for a reason."  If I had to explain why Elizabeth suffered and died from cancer during the prime of her life, I would say it was so that Piper and Tom could live the lives they were meant to live.  We have talked about how caring for Elizabeth opened Piper up to her own feelings, made her less uptight about things on the surface, and drew out a softer side of Piper that I'm not sure Piper knew she had in her.

What about Tom?  Piper stepped into his life and never really left again.  It was a weird transition after Elizabeth died, wasn't it?  Each taking tentative steps toward one another.  I think it is great that they decided to do what was comfortable for them and their families, ignoring what other might think.  Huge step for both!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online:62 members 476 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: