Rachel-K
0 Kudos

First Impressions?

This is a thread for those who've started the novel and don't want to risk spoilers, but are anxious to post their early impressions of the characters and the story. I seem to be finding that most of us are keeping our noses in the pages until the story's over, and that says pretty good things about it, huh? Is anyone just getting started?

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions?

rkubie wrote:
This is a thread for those who've started the novel and don't want to risk spoilers, but are anxious to post their early impressions of the characters and the story. I seem to be finding that most of us are keeping our noses in the pages until the story's over, and that says pretty good things about it, huh? Is anyone just getting started?

I know one in here just getting into reading it now and two who are getting their books this week, and will be in to introduce themselves but won't have it all read, so we really really need to watch about spoilers. I LOVE these characters and I don't want what I am learning about them as I go along spoiled either.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I started to write some about my first impressions here and I got so carried away, that it ran into all of chapter one, so I put it on that thread with a header of chapter ONE only.

The thing is, I was hooked from the beginning, for reasons I mention there. One thing I can say here, about first impressions, is just how wonderfully Marisa has captured the voices and thoughts of real women! You may like them, you may hate them, but you have to admit those thoughts and voices are real. Cornelia and Piper say the kinds of things, you only say in your own head, or to your very best friend, over a quiet cup of something. And the things they say out loud to each other are real things you see in neighborhoods, when people are "established" and "newbies" move in. There is a pecking order and I am excited to see how it plays out and who gets pecked the most lol. First impressions? Hooked on the book!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

She also has captured the personality of Dev perfectly.  I know this boy!

vivico1 wrote:

One thing I can say here, about first impressions, is just how wonderfully Marisa has captured the voices and thoughts of real women!

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I read Love Walked In immediately before reading Belong to Me, so I felt that I was picking up with friends who I hadn't seen for a couple of years, but was eager to catch up with.  I love Cornelia's voice and Marisa writes her in such a way that I feel she is really talking to the reader in a familiar way, like you would to a friend. 
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
This is a thread for those who've started the novel and don't want to risk spoilers, but are anxious to post their early impressions of the characters and the story. I seem to be finding that most of us are keeping our noses in the pages until the story's over, and that says pretty good things about it, huh? Is anyone just getting started?

Rachel, you're absolutely right. I am one of those readers who kept my nose in the pages of the book until it was over. I've always been one for immediate gratification... I was so under the thrall of Cornelia and the others, that I couldn't stop reading.

I started Belong to Me on a Friday night, and read it all weekend... between rehearsals... between matinee and Saturday evening performances....between errands... between laundry....while cooking dinner.... before bedtime.... until I finished it late Sunday night.

I'm afraid of posting spoilers.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I'm only a few chapters into the book so I'm still meeting the characters but I love it! I wish I had time to read Love Walked In first because I like to start the story from the beginning. I will definitely read that later but I really don't feel like I'm missing anything either by starting with this one. I feel the same way that other people have mentioned about how colorful the characters are and how clever this is written. Marisa, I love your sense of humor! I can't wait to find out more and will be reading this every chance I get (which doesn't seem to be nearly often enough lately!).
Author
MarisadelosSantos
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
I'm only a few chapters into the book so I'm still meeting the characters but I love it! I wish I had time to read Love Walked In first because I like to start the story from the beginning. I will definitely read that later but I really don't feel like I'm missing anything either by starting with this one. I feel the same way that other people have mentioned about how colorful the characters are and how clever this is written. Marisa, I love your sense of humor! I can't wait to find out more and will be reading this every chance I get (which doesn't seem to be nearly often enough lately!).

You know, I've been getting the question a lot: do I need to read the books in order? And what I always say is that you definitely do not need to have read Love Walked In in order to read and enjoy Belong to Me. However, if you think you might want to read both, it might be a nice idea to do it in order, mainly to preserve the surprises in the first book. Personally, though, I don't think it would make much of a difference to me if some of the surprises were spoiled, since mostly when I read, it's just all about the characters. It's not that I don't like plot. I do, and I get impatient with books that feel plotless to me (although there are certainly some with very little plot that WORK). However, if the characters feel real and interesting to me, then I don't mind knowing what will happen. I've read books after they've been out a while, after everyone's already been buzzing about them so much that I know basically what will happen (and reviewers can be so careless about leaking secrets), but I still loved the books and the experience of reading them because I just wanted to be part of the journey of the characters, even if I knew where they'd be at the journey's end.

I guess this explains how I could be such a huge re-reader. I just want to be in the company of the characters in books I love.

I'd love to hear you all weigh in on this!

Marisa
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

MarisadelosSantos wrote:

You know, I've been getting the question a lot: do I need to read the books in order? And what I always say is that you definitely do not need to have read Love Walked In in order to read and enjoy Belong to Me. However, if you think you might want to read both, it might be a nice idea to do it in order, mainly to preserve the surprises in the first book. Personally, though, I don't think it would make much of a difference to me if some of the surprises were spoiled, since mostly when I read, it's just all about the characters. It's not that I don't like plot. I do, and I get impatient with books that feel plotless to me (although there are certainly some with very little plot that WORK). However, if the characters feel real and interesting to me, then I don't mind knowing what will happen. I've read books after they've been out a while, after everyone's already been buzzing about them so much that I know basically what will happen (and reviewers can be so careless about leaking secrets), but I still loved the books and the experience of reading them because I just wanted to be part of the journey of the characters, even if I knew where they'd be at the journey's end.

I guess this explains how I could be such a huge re-reader. I just want to be in the company of the characters in books I love.

Marisa

Some books are such good stand alone books, that you don't need to read them in order. They are not necessarily serial books just because they have the same characters. I have not read the other book but sure didnt hurt the enjoyment of this one. I didn't feel like, ok what am I missing here??? And I do intend on going back to read Love Walked In. I don't think this one will spoil that one either for the reasons mentioned, its about the characters. If this was a serial plot book then yeah, it might be like seeing the last hour of a movie and then going back and trying to enjoy the first hour of it after. There is an adventure writer I have come to know that I really liked the book I read and want to read others of his, but I want to do the ones with the same characters first, because thats why I enjoyed the book and I want to see what else they had been into before. Same thing with a Harlan Coben suspense thriller, I fell in love with his books and the genre because of him. Like I said before, I never used to read fiction, starting to get hooked on some authors or some genres. But I picked up another one of his books and it had this one female police detective in it, that the one I read did, it was her in an earlier case and I LOVED knowing her already. It didn't change the book for me at all and didnt help me solve it either lol.
Vivian
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

MarisadelosSantos wrote:

I am the opposite.  When I found out that your second book contained some of the characters from your first book, I knew that I had "hurry up" and read Love Walked In first before I started Belong To Me.  I am an orderly person and don't like to know too much about a book before I read it.  I like to be surprised and I read books more for the stories than anything.

Would I have gone back to read Love Walked In after Belong To Me if I hadn't known ahead of time that the stories are sequential?  Probably, but Love Walked In wouldn't be the same at all having read Belong To Me first.  Moreover, while I could certainly follow the story in Belong To Me without having read Love Walked In, I could not have as fully appreciated the characters and what people and circumstances mean to them in Belong To Me without having read Love Walked In first.
Laura

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

characters

vivico1 wrote:

MarisadelosSantos wrote:

You know, I've been getting the question a lot: do I need to read the books in order? And what I always say is that you definitely do not need to have read Love Walked In in order to read and enjoy Belong to Me. However, if you think you might want to read both, it might be a nice idea to do it in order, mainly to preserve the surprises in the first book. Personally, though, I don't think it would make much of a difference to me if some of the surprises were spoiled, since mostly when I read, it's just all about the characters...

Marisa

Some books are such good stand alone books, that you don't need to read them in order. They are not necessarily serial books just because they have the same characters. I have not read the other book but sure didnt hurt the enjoyment of this one. I didn't feel like, ok what am I missing here??? And I do intend on going back to read Love Walked In. I don't think this one will spoil that one either for the reasons mentioned, its about the characters.

That's how I feel about these books too. It's about the characters. I know these aren't serial books and I don't  have to read them in order although I probably would have if I had time. I like the flow of it better when it's possible. I don't feel like I've missed anything doing it this way but I've enjoyed these characters and the writing style so much that I want more. Marisa, you have created a world that draws me in and I absolutely am a fan now. I hope you have more books on the way because I will be waiting for them. (and I haven't even finished this one yet!)
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

I am the opposite. When I found out that your second book contained some of the characters from your first book, I knew that I had "hurry up" and read Love Walked In first before I started Belong To Me. I am an orderly person and don't like to know too much about a book before I read it. I like to be surprised and I read books more for the stories than anything.
Would I have gone back to read Love Walked In after Belong To Me if I hadn't known ahead of time that the stories are sequential? Probably, but Love Walked In wouldn't be the same at all having read Belong To Me first. Moreover, while I could certainly follow the story in Belong To Me without having read Love Walked In, I could not have as fully appreciated the characters and what people and circumstances mean to them in Belong To Me without having read Love Walked In first.

Hey Fozzie, Laura. You know I still like calling you Fozzie and have to do the Fozzie Bear laugh when I see your name hehe. Hey old club buddy, one favor please? I know from you guys now that Cornelia is in the first book, but please don't mention too much about how she is or stuff like that, in Love Walked In, unless its on that Love Walked in Spoiler Thread ok? I am staying away from that thread, so I dont get the book spoiled for me because I am going to go back and read it. I know you have not posted any real spoilers here, so not saying that really ok, but telling us on these threads that reading this first and then going back to read the first, that the first just wouldnt be the same, kind of sets us up, ya know what I mean? I noticed you have mentioned Cornelia in the first book several times in talking about this book and I always worry about doing a club that has a return character and running into too much information about them from another book I haven't read yet. I know you would never purposely write a spoiler on any book :smileywink: but other than that thread for Love Walked In, would it be ok to just talk about the Cornelia the way we are learning about her in this book? I don't want to get a preconceived notion of her before I read the other, other than my own from reading this book of course, but since these are character books, a spoiler could slip in.

Aren't character books interesting to discuss with people you meet online? We have been in a bunch of clubs together now and I found a couple of things interesting about our posts. In talking about Lake, I would love to be her friend, you can't see hanging out with her. And for these comparisons I am talking about the first of the book only ok? So those things could change and we should come back and compare again at the end of it, that would be cool. The other thing is, talking about the burbs. You said "I think Piper lives where she does because it is best for the entire family --- good schools for the kids, appropriate playmates nearby, and like minded parents with the right degrees and jobs all striving for the American dream.. OK so, are you saying this would be Piper's thoughts about it, or is this how you see it? Not sure. Or mostly I guess I figured it was both, what you think Piper would feel and what you believe to be true. If so, then yeah, I am probably more the Lake person and you more the Piper one, in the first part of the book anyway. Thats just comparing us to the characters thus far tho. Character books are some of the funnest to discuss with others! I think Piper is definitely the orderly one too, and Lake the more laid back one, maybe with an agenda, but generally a more laid back fun person.
OH, got a question then for you or anyone in here come to think of it. Where you are in your life now, not back when we were kids, if you went to a big amusement park, would you prefer to ride the roller coaster or the merry-go-round with the horses? :smileywink:
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Character books are some of the funnest to discuss with others! I think Piper is definitely the orderly one too, and Lake the more laid back one, maybe with an agenda, but generally a more laid back fun person.
OH, got a question then for you or anyone in here come to think of it. Where you are in your life now, not back when we were kids, if you went to a big amusement park, would you prefer to ride the roller coaster or the merry-go-round with the horses? :smileywink:

That's an interesting question. I like to ride both although I can't always ride the fastest and most dangerous like I use to. I still like the adventure but I need the slower pace mixed in too. I did notice that I became much more careful when I became a parent. I don't want to leave them without a mother so I'll have to wait until they are grown and on there own before I try skydiving - just like my mom did!
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Aren't character books interesting to discuss with people you meet online? We have been in a bunch of clubs together now and I found a couple of things interesting about our posts. In talking about Lake, I would love to be her friend, you can't see hanging out with her. And for these comparisons I am talking about the first of the book only ok? So those things could change and we should come back and compare again at the end of it, that would be cool. The other thing is, talking about the burbs. You said "I think Piper lives where she does because it is best for the entire family --- good schools for the kids, appropriate playmates nearby, and like minded parents with the right degrees and jobs all striving for the American dream.. OK so, are you saying this would be Piper's thoughts about it, or is this how you see it? Not sure. Or mostly I guess I figured it was both, what you think Piper would feel and what you believe to be true. If so, then yeah, I am probably more the Lake person and you more the Piper one, in the first part of the book anyway. Thats just comparing us to the characters thus far tho. Character books are some of the funnest to discuss with others! I think Piper is definitely the orderly one too, and Lake the more laid back one, maybe with an agenda, but generally a more laid back fun person.

The stuff you have in bold is what Piper thinks.  She is very concerned about her kids attending the particular school, the one where the parents are at an orientation meeting early in the book.  Also, from other comments Piper makes, I could tell she is very concerned about who she and her family associate with and how they are perceived.

I am more like Piper than Lake in that I do live in what is essentially a suburb, in a sterotypical family of mom, dad and two kids, and moved here to have a better place to raise a family with good public schools for the kids to attend.  I am a stay at home mom too, and did attend a big name college but chose to leave the work force for my family's sake.  However, I am by no means the queen bee of some town clique.  Nor am I emotionally empty (Well, Piper is not completely empty, but not full).

I have no idea why you are asking about amusement park rides, but I will humor you.  I would have to pick the roller coaster.  Rides that go round and round make me ill.
Laura

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

The book held my attention first page also. It did confront the many issues that concern most women right away. I read it in about two days. Each woman had real life issues in their life. So loved this book!
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

I have to chime in that I live in the sentence when I read, which means that usually, I couldn't care less about spoilers. Maybe in the movie "Sixth Sense," but I'm not sure I can think of a book that I loved that would have been ruined for me by knowing the ending. That said, I was also glad to be new to the big surprises here, but the great pleasure of this novel for me was in the language and in the smallest realizations on the page--the small motions and details unfolding with such clarity and freshness. The characters were painted in this sort of fine detail, and not just in the large events and decisions. So, I have no problem with reading out of order!

And I have to admit that I thought, on the very first page, "Well of course she has a leg up--she's a poet!"  I was also interested to hear Marisa talk about her composition process, which seems like it might be more typical of poetry than fiction maybe.

And, as an argument for sliding over spoilers, I will point out that when you pick up a novel like Anna Karenina, you pretty much know she has an affair and that the whole thing turns out badly, which is basically the whole book, top to bottom, except the writing itself, which is what you're really in it for, right?

Rachel

Users Online
Currently online:117 members 732 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: