Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what lead you to read Belong to Me.

Be careful not to post any spoilers! :smileywink:

Message Edited by Jessica on 04-28-2008 01:27 PM
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi!  My name is Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine.  You can read more about me in my profile.

I have read both of Marisa's books and cannot speak highly enough of them.  The characters are outstandingly portrayed.  Honestly, when I finished Belong to Me, I was ready to drive to the neighborhood to visit everyone and see what had been going on with them since the book was written.  I look forward to discussing these neighbors and their lives with all of you.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hi,its me Vivian, from Oklahoma. Hi there Fozzie, (laura). I hope we see a lot of familiar faces in this club. OK, two things lead me to this book because I have not read any of the author's books before. One reason, was because I love the clubs with the authors here, we get some great interaction with some wonderful people. Its a unique experience that I have come to love over the last year. I chose this book too because, after reading the cover and just a bit of the first chapter, I just fell in love with her writing style, her descriptions of things and thoughts. I am not finished with the book but I am really enjoying it very much. Hope to see people coming in by Monday. Weekends are so dead in the clubs lol. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hi Viv, Sorry I will be just in and out most of this month because of a trip.  But the book so far is really a well written book. The characters emotions are portrayed so vividly. I love Claire and Dev. They are so much fun.
Oh! by the way to newbies and the author, I am Linda from Va. and I am a avid reader and member of the bookclubs. Love love love to read all books.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I'm IBIS and am happy to see familiar names in this club.

I've read Love Walked In when it first came out, enjoyed getting to know the characters, and knew that I would enjoy meeting Cornelia Brown again in Belong to Me...

I'm a professional violinist, and as Joyce Carol Oates once wrote, good prose is like music... they create moods. The moods in Belong to Me reminded me so much of the yearning I feel when I play my music.. the universal human desire to belong ... to someone, somewhere .. to find a home...

I love the poetry and the imagery in Marisa de lost Santos' writing. It'll be very rewarding to discuss this book with fellow B&N readers.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Hello from High Point, NJ

Hi,

I am Doug from High Point, New Jersey. This is a Wonderful novel. I enjoyed everything about it. I especially appreciated how well written it was. :smileyhappy:doug
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

introduce yourself

Hi I'm Debbie from NY state where I live with my husband and teenagers. I've participated in these clubs for a few years now and I also especially like the clubs where the authors join us. I've been waiting for the whole month of April to get this book from the library, I was even the one who requested they order it, and I'm still waiting! I've been #1 on the list for weeks! I even requested the audio version and I'm #2 on that list! I love to read and I make good use of my library and used books sales. Unfortunately my limited income prevents me from purchasing many new books. I hope I receive this book very soon. I'm so anxious to read it since I've heard such good things about it. I hope I get to join you all this month but I will still be reading this book no matter when I finally get it.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: introduce yourself

Wrighty wrote:
Hi I'm Debbie from NY state where I live with my husband and teenagers. I've participated in these clubs for a few years now and I also especially like the clubs where the authors join us. I've been waiting for the whole month of April to get this book from the library, I was even the one who requested they order it, and I'm still waiting! I've been #1 on the list for weeks! I even requested the audio version and I'm #2 on that list! I love to read and I make good use of my library and used books sales. Unfortunately my limited income prevents me from purchasing many new books. I hope I receive this book very soon. I'm so anxious to read it since I've heard such good things about it. I hope I get to join you all this month but I will still be reading this book no matter when I finally get it.

Darn Debbie, give me your library systems name LOL. This is a must book! and you are a MUST participant in the clubs. I sure hope it comes soon. I don't see any threads yet tho to start discussing it, just the intros so, maybe you wont get too far behind. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
MarisadelosSantos
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone--

This is Marisa de los Santos, and I just wanted to welcome all of you and to let you know that I am eager to answer any questions you might have for me about my books or the process of writing or anything at all. So glad to see you here!

Yours,
Marisa
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

MarisadelosSantos wrote:
Hi, Everyone--

This is Marisa de los Santos, and I just wanted to welcome all of you and to let you know that I am eager to answer any questions you might have for me about my books or the process of writing or anything at all. So glad to see you here!

Yours,
Marisa

Marisa, its so wonderful to have you here with us. I know more are coming. I don't want to ask too much right yet, since some are just starting the book. As the discussion threads for the book opens up for us to discuss along the way, I hope you will join us on those threads too. Sometimes we have questions for authors about things up to that point. Or you might just like to see what we are saying about your book lol. :smileywink: Without giving any spoilers to anyone, let me just say now, you write MARVELOUS characters!!
Vivian
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi all!

Glad to see lots of familiar names posting, and I'm hoping to meet some new book club members, too! I'm Rachel, your moderator for the month, and my reactions to the novel were very similar to what I'm reading so far--I just loved the characters, the story, and the writing style in this novel--when I put it down I couldn't wait to get back to it. It was definitely the quality of the sentences that snagged me first--that wry, delicate, observant, self-effacing candor. I would sneak it open on the reference desk and then, instead of being stealthy about it, I'd find myself snorting and reading passages to my coworkers--who seem to suppose themselves capable of choosing and reading their own books. (But this is "Reader's Advisory"--which is a totally legitimate part of library work.)

I'm excited about Marisa being here, and I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone's questions and comments.

Rachel

Frequent Contributor
ROSIE
0 Kudos

I have not read the book yet.  BUT I saw that Marisa is from Baltimore and decided to join in.

rosie
from Baltimore
New User
ban1
0 Kudos

Hi!
I am a stay at home mom of two who loves to escape into a book--Belong to Me, was a perfect one! I love when I am able to read a chapter and set the book down, tend to the family, and pick it up again later--my own personal time amongst the chaos. The characters and the story are wonderful--i am off to the book store today to find Love Walked In. Marisa, thank you for the lovely storytelling!
Reader
june
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm June and I am a Barnes & Noble bookseller.  This book has been on my "to read" list for about a month now.  I started reading it 2 days ago and I'm more than 200 pages into the book and really enjoying it.  Other employees at my store are also reading and enjoying this book.
New User
FitMolly
0 Kudos

I picked this book from the front table at B&N because I liked the boots on the cover ... and when I saw it was about suburban life I had to buy it. I moved to the suburbs with my husband about a year ago and have felt like I was dying among the stay-at-home moms and families and desperately missed urban life ... I thought I was the only one! Ha, I guess not. I have been in graduate school, so I haven't read many fiction books for a while ... and it's especially to find a good one on a fluke ... I am on chapter 8. It's an awesome book! What cool names .. Lake, Piper, Cornelia ...
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx
Author
MarisadelosSantos
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone--

So great to have you all here and to hear that some of you are reading and enjoying the book! I'll be popping into the different threads as often as I can and would be so pleased to answer any questions you might have for me!

Yours,
Marisa
Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

Hi all.  I'm Sandy from Lake Minnetonka, MN (just west of the Twin Cities).  This book intrigued me as it was on the B&N Recommended List.  I have read most of the Recommended Books and have not been disappointed.  And again, I was not disappointed.  I look forward to sharing thoughts about this book and its magnificent characters.

New User
SMhelen
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what lead you to read Belong to Me.

Be careful not to post any spoilers! :smileywink:

Message Edited by Jessica on 04-28-2008 01:27 PM

Greetings! My name is Helen and I live in Los Angeles, California. I wanted to read Belong to Me, when I heard the author say: this book is about someone who got everything they wanted. Her words intregued me so I decided to start reading it.

Since I just bought the book, I have not read anything yet. Got to start reading. BTW, I have never been part of any book club. This is a dream come true.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

SMhelen wrote:

Greetings! My name is Helen and I live in Los Angeles, California. I wanted to read Belong to Me, when I heard the author say: this book is about someone who got everything they wanted. Her words intregued me so I decided to start reading it.

Since I just bought the book, I have not read anything yet. Got to start reading. BTW, I have never been part of any book club. This is a dream come true.

Hi Helen,
Glad to see you here. There are several people just getting started on the book so no worries. Well except one of my friends shows that her book was delivered UPS yesterday from B&N and she says its not there, so she can't even start and hasnt come in the club yet. These clubs can be fun and all you have to do is join in and just watch for one thing, dont post beyond where the thread says, in other words be careful not to write "spoilers" for those who have not read that far yet. This is a month long club and it will pick up next week more I think. The new books, it takes the firsts week or so for everyone to get their books and get enough read to talk about. Also, weekends are notoriously bad, slow that is. Hardly anyone posts on weekends, I know I am always here, the rest have a life I guess LOL. So Its a good reading time.

Also, Marisa, if you are reading this, its true about weekends, not much posting and I know of three people trying to get some reading in this week besides those of us who have introduced ourselves, so please don't think this club is going no where. It should pick up about midmonth, so next week probably. We do love having the authors here so please bear with us. :smileywink:
Vivian
New User
SMhelen
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

SMhelen wrote:

Hi Helen,
Glad to see you here. There are several people just getting started on the book so no worries. Well except one of my friends shows that her book was delivered UPS yesterday from B&N and she says its not there, so she can't even start and hasnt come in the club yet. These clubs can be fun and all you have to do is join in and just watch for one thing, dont post beyond where the thread says, in other words be careful not to write "spoilers" for those who have not read that far yet. This is a month long club and it will pick up next week more I think. The new books, it takes the firsts week or so for everyone to get their books and get enough read to talk about. Also, weekends are notoriously bad, slow that is. Hardly anyone posts on weekends, I know I am always here, the rest have a life I guess LOL. So Its a good reading time.

Also, Marisa, if you are reading this, its true about weekends, not much posting and I know of three people trying to get some reading in this week besides those of us who have introduced ourselves, so please don't think this club is going no where. It should pick up about midmonth, so next week probably. We do love having the authors here so please bear with us. :smileywink:

Thank you Vivi for the warm welcome. I wish I had more time to read. I am excited to get through this one.
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 279 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: