Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Love Walked In (Spoilers!)

Hi All,

Thought we could use a thread for those who've already read Love Walked In, Marisa's first novel, which  also included Cornelia, Clare, and Teo. I'd like to hear how you feel about looking back at the earlier novel now that you are also following these characters into new terrain.

Do you have favorite passages from LWI that you want to share?

And a BIG warning--spoilers are totally okay here, so if you are browsing because you are thinking of picking up the book--turn back now!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Love Walked In -- "The Philadelphia Story"

[ Edited ]
In an interview, Marisa de Los Santos admitted that she loves classic movies, especially the romantic comedies from the 1930s and 1940s...  the elegance, the dialogue, the dazzling wit. In Love Walked In, Cornelia thinks that that the men like Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart are great.

However, the women are more intriguing... how smart they are, how bright and changeable their faces are. The way they talk...Katharine Hepburn... Irene Dunne,,, Jean Arthur, Barbara Stanwyck, Rosallind Russell....these  actresses know how to move their bodies and how to turn up a corner of their mouths at just the right moments.

So when I read Love Walked In, Cornelia's love for these classic movies charmed me immediately. Ms de los Santos  pays homage to the romantic comedy Philadelphia Story with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart and Katherine Hepburn.

Here are some of my favorite old classic movie passages from Love Walked In...

Cornelia is 30-something, managing a coffee shop in Philadelphia.... she falls for a customer who looks exactly like Cary Grant... dimpled chin and all.

"...the door of Café Dora opened, and Cary Grant walked in. "

She makes comments about characters that are right out of the movies:

"...  there was something backlit and sudden about his walking through the door of the café I managed. If the floor had been bare and not covered with tables, chairs, people, and dogs, the autumnal late-morning sun would have slung his narrow shadow dramatically across the floor in a real Orson Welles shot...."

When he leaves the coffeeshop, she flirts with him...."Then, I gave him a look so worthy of Veronica Lake, I could almost feel my nonexistent blond tresses falling over one eye. "

There is some of referencing to classic movies in Belong To Me. Cornelia and Lake discuss old movies in  and they mention George Cukor's  The Women. Their initial friendship springs from theis mutual love of this classic old movie.

IBIS

Message Edited by IBIS on 05-08-2008 02:30 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Re: Love Walked In (Spoilers!)

I so enjoyed the story line of "Love Walked In."    I am blessed to have in my life the stepdaughters that became partly 'mine' when I married their father many years ago.   And this despite the fact that he died, before the age of fifty, only 15 years later.   The girls and I have remained family, in every sense of the word, as they finished their educations, entered young adulthood, married, and had children of their own.   I really recognized the bond that grew between Cornelia and Clare regardless of Clare's father's presence or absence in Cornelia's life.  And in the same way, I love the title of the new book, "Belong to Me."    It expresses so simply that very real connectedness that occurs often because of blood or marriage, but also that which develops from strong friendship or the growing sense of recognition of someone's importance in your life, the desire to cherish and protect them, help them grow, and maintain emotional closeness.  In short, to love them. 
Author
MarisadelosSantos
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:
I so enjoyed the story line of "Love Walked In." I am blessed to have in my life the stepdaughters that became partly 'mine' when I married their father many years ago. And this despite the fact that he died, before the age of fifty, only 15 years later. The girls and I have remained family, in every sense of the word, as they finished their educations, entered young adulthood, married, and had children of their own. I really recognized the bond that grew between Cornelia and Clare regardless of Clare's father's presence or absence in Cornelia's life. And in the same way, I love the title of the new book, "Belong to Me." It expresses so simply that very real connectedness that occurs often because of blood or marriage, but also that which develops from strong friendship or the growing sense of recognition of someone's importance in your life, the desire to cherish and protect them, help them grow, and maintain emotional closeness. In short, to love them.

I find the idea of "found" or "created" families intensely interesting, so much so that I seem to be writing about them in every book, including the one I'm writing now. At one point in Belong to Me, Cornelia says, "Love can be a decision." I know some people would disagree, but I see it over and over, in books but also in life: people looking around at the various people life has given them (whether they're the people they'd originally wanted or not) and just saying, "All right, these are the people I've been given to love, so I better get to it!"

Marisa
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:
And in the same way, I love the title of the new book, "Belong to Me."    It expresses so simply that very real connectedness that occurs often because of blood or marriage, but also that which develops from strong friendship or the growing sense of recognition of someone's importance in your life, the desire to cherish and protect them, help them grow, and maintain emotional closeness.  In short, to love them. 

I, too, think the titles of both books are outstanding.

I marveled, upon reflection, at the many different types of love that are present in Love Walked In:
Martin and Cornelia
Cornelia and Teo
Cornelia and Clare
Clare and her mother (I can't remember her name)
Cornelia and her brothers
Cornelia's mother and her sons
Martin and Clare's mother
(I know I am not listing some)

The same is true of the title Belong To Me.  Think of how all the characters wanted to belong in some way to all the other characters!  Love that!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 509 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: