Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

"Belong to Me"

So many readers have commented on the title! How do you read it?

How do each of these characters expect or make or find (by surprise?) their own sense of belonging?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: "Belong to Me"

rkubie wrote:
So many readers have commented on the title! How do you read it?

How do each of these characters expect or make or find (by surprise?) their own sense of belonging?

We all seek someone to belong to. Someone we can always trust, depend on being there for us. Some more than others rely on other people for their happiness. But truly belonging to another takes the love of self I feel. No matter, the suburbs, the city, the country , whereever you wonder, to truly belong, you have to be true to yourself. Everyone is looking for happiness and some seek the peace in one's self that provokes happiness in self and others.

I feel all the characters were seeking someone or something to belong to. Part of their self was lost and they needed to find the other half in something or someone else.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

As I said before (under the Love Walked In thread), I love the meaningful titles of Marisa's books!

The message I received is that everyone belongs to everyone else in some way.  We are all interconnected, in obvious ways, and in ways unknown and unimaginable.  Best of all, even when it seems that life has made it such that we can't belong to those closest to us anymore, all that has to be done is some adjusting because some people just belong to each other no matter what.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
MarisadelosSantos
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:
As I said before (under the Love Walked In thread), I love the meaningful titles of Marisa's books!
The message I received is that everyone belongs to everyone else in some way. We are all interconnected, in obvious ways, and in ways unknown and unimaginable. Best of all, even when it seems that life has made it such that we can't belong to those closest to us anymore, all that has to be done is some adjusting because some people just belong to each other no matter what.

I love this discussion, particularly as Belong to Me wasn't the title I began with. For about half of the time I was writing, I called the book You Are Here, which is what the galaxy poster over Dev's bed says and which are words that sometimes appear inside circles on maps of malls or parks. But as the novel became, in my mind, less about location and dislocation and more about the complex relationships between the characters, I began to call it Entanglement. Electron entanglement is something Dev thinks about in the book--a concept from quantum physics that has to do with two particles being "together" outside of space and time. I still love this title, but the problem was that no one else did! Then, toward the end of the book, when I wrote the part in which Cornelia looks at Teo and thinks, "Belong to me," I knew I had the title!
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Marisa,

I love hearing that this was your back and forth over the title! I am finding that the ideas of placement and belonging that are so central to the book, also fight with each other a bit in each of the characters. As bright as she is, Lake had no clue how her decision to pick up and head across country was going to entangle her in the very situation she was aiming for. And that choice to move into a "home" in a "neighborhood" and "become" a family that was somewhere in the recesses of Cornelia desire, also meant exposing herself to a culture of linen slacks and raised eyebrows that can come with the best intentions in suburbia. It is simply impossible to predict what's around the corner from our choices!

The characters seem to each begin by putting themselves down somewhere, find themselves entangled, wind up with belonging.

And it also seems each of us relates very strongly to the characters, to their very different living situations and life choices.

I have also enjoyed the conversation in the "early chapters" thread where readers are talking about our own sense of belonging--easily or uneasily--to whatever community we find ourselves in--because the novel certainly brings that out in us.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

MarisadelosSantos wrote:

Fozzie wrote:
The message I received is that everyone belongs to everyone else in some way. We are all interconnected, in obvious ways, and in ways unknown and unimaginable. Best of all, even when it seems that life has made it such that we can't belong to those closest to us anymore, all that has to be done is some adjusting because some people just belong to each other no matter what.

I love this discussion, particularly as Belong to Me wasn't the title I began with. For about half of the time I was writing, I called the book You Are Here, which is what the galaxy poster over Dev's bed says and which are words that sometimes appear inside circles on maps of malls or parks. But as the novel became, in my mind, less about location and dislocation and more about the complex relationships between the characters, I began to call it Entanglement. Electron entanglement is something Dev thinks about in the book--a concept from quantum physics that has to do with two particles being "together" outside of space and time. I still love this title, but the problem was that no one else did! Then, toward the end of the book, when I wrote the part in which Cornelia looks at Teo and thinks, "Belong to me," I knew I had the title!

As several have said, we all want someone to belong to, and somewhere to belong. I think besides wanting to belong to someone, be loved by them, there is the other part of that too, and that is, we want them to belong to us! A person who says they are never jealous about anyone, either is kidding themselves or maybe is not in love. We may share our loved ones with others but there is a part of us, that needs to know, they belong to us in some ways, not to anyone else. The idea makes us insecure and maybe a bit lonely to think they don't. I mean,look at Cornelia, all the women swoon over Teo, she says shes not jealous, she either gets bored with it or gets a kick out of it, mainly because of how Teo takes it. He is cool, he is not stuck on himself and doesnt take all this and shove it in her face in any way at all. All the time, you hear how Cornelia is fine with other women's reactions to Teo, until she hears about Lake and Teo. She was never jealous before because she had total trust in Teo and this shook it, even tho it was during college and he didnt know about Dev. But the idea that he had a son, family, that was not with her, was too much sharing and yeah so that line, Belong to me, was a great line Marisa and a great title because it goes beyond the idea of us wanting to belong, or the title could have been, I Want To Belong! (That may be more Dev's title.) Belong to me, goes deeper into the relationships, it has deeper meaning and says something about that desire we all have, need to know about someone, even when we think we are not jealous or don't think in those terms. We need to know someone belongs to us in a way they do not to anyone else.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 528 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: