Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what lead you to read Child 44.

Be careful not to post any spoilers!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Contributor
Simple1
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello. I am new to the bookclub world and starting Child 44 today. I have always loved reading and I look forward to this new experience.
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

Simple1 wrote:
Hello. I am new to the bookclub world and starting Child 44 today. I have always loved reading and I look forward to this new experience.

Hello Simple One!

Good name, for a novice. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the book. I happen to think Monday is a particularly good day to start this book.

Learn more about Child 44.
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Hi, I purchased this book a couple of weeks ago and added it to my shelves of
books to read (2 shelves --> 32 books).  I just read the June book clubs and
I am excited to see it there.  I will have to start reading this evening.  Looking
forward to the discussion!

Cathy
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

CathyB wrote:
Hi, I purchased this book a couple of weeks ago and added it to my shelves of
books to read (2 shelves --> 32 books). I just read the June book clubs and
I am excited to see it there. I will have to start reading this evening. Looking
forward to the discussion!
Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Wow - you really stockpile books. Most people have candles, batteries, tins of tuna - you have an emergency library. Yes, definitely push those other 31 books aside and start CHILD 44. It would be great to hear what you make of it!

Reader
0 Kudos

Just finished the school year and looking for a good book to dive into!  I believe this is the winner!  Going out today to purchase, I can't wait to read it!  Just finished the book Young Stalin, by Simon Montefiore.
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

2552 wrote:
Just finished the school year and looking for a good book to dive into! I believe this is the winner! Going out today to purchase, I can't wait to read it! Just finished the book Young Stalin, by Simon Montefiore.

Hi there - finishing a school year is a great feeling. I'm biased but I reckon CHILD 44 will make for an exciting vacation read. I remember after I finished my first year exams at university I took a stack of non-text books into the college garden and read in the sun.

Yes, Simon Montefiore is terrific! THE COURT OF THE RED TSAR is also very good.

Contributor
Simple1
0 Kudos

Tom

Thank you for your reply. I think it is wonderful that you have chosen to interact with the members of this book club. This is yet another great experience as a 'newbie' to the book club scene. I am really enjoying the book and it truly is a page-turner.

Simple1
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

Simple1 wrote:
Tom
Thank you for your reply. I think it is wonderful that you have chosen to interact with the members of this book club. This is yet another great experience as a 'newbie' to the book club scene. I am really enjoying the book and it truly is a page-turner.
Simple1

Thanks! I love that Barnes & Noble invited me to do this. I think it's great. And it just so happens that I'm finishing the second book at the moment, nearing the deadline, and this is the pretty much the closest I'm coming to human contact...

Contributor
NamelessHereForEvermore
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello! I've never been part of a book club before, so I'm really excited about this. I just put Child 44 on hold at the library, but I have been reading some of the disscusions about it and it sounds like an amazing book, so I might just go buy it if the library dosn't get any copies back by friday (payday). I'm really excited to start reading and talking about it!

Message Edited by NamelessHereForEvermore on 06-03-2008 09:43 PM
~NamelessHereForNevermore
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

NamelessHereForEvermore wrote:
Hello! I've never been part of a book club before, so I'm really excited about this. I just put Child 44 on hold at the library, but I have been reading some of the disscusions about it and it sounds like an amazing book, so I might just go buy it if the library dosn't get any copies back by friday (payday). I'm really excited to start reading and talking about it!

Message Edited by NamelessHereForEvermore on 06-03-2008 09:43 PM

Hi! I've never been part of a book club either. Although I did once post, as identifiably myself, on a Guardian (a UK newspaper) Book blog.

To borrow, or to buy... In terms of accessibility, one of the great things about books is that they're available in libraries as well as shops. Libraries are wonderful. As a purchase I've always thought books are terrific value. I suppose I would say that. But long before I was published, I'd buy a book and pass it around in my family, particularly to my mother. And she'd do the same...You get these family cycles of books. In that sense the price per hour of entertainment is incredibly low.

I guess I also just love the way books look on a shelf, they're like instant decoration for a home. And, biased once again, I think CHILD 44 as a book, as an object, looks great. My publishers (Grand Central) have done a great job. Did you know that "44" was designed specially for the cover? I have my own 4s!

Contributor
sheshe703
0 Kudos

Hi.  I am Sheila and I live in Alexandria, Virginia.  I was an english and history major in college.  One of my areas of interest was Russian history.  When I went to Barnes and Noble to look for new books to add to my pile of books to read there was a recommendation for Child 44.  I walked by that stack of books and continued walking around the store.  Something just kept drawing me back to the book.  I finally picked it up and read the recommendation and was hooked right then.  I have started reading it and I have to say that just like the book jacket says, it is unputdownable.  I cannot wait for the discussion to start.
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

sheshe703 wrote:
Hi. I am Sheila and I live in Alexandria, Virginia. I was an english and history major in college. One of my areas of interest was Russian history. When I went to Barnes and Noble to look for new books to add to my pile of books to read there was a recommendation for Child 44. I walked by that stack of books and continued walking around the store. Something just kept drawing me back to the book. I finally picked it up and read the recommendation and was hooked right then. I have started reading it and I have to say that just like the book jacket says, it is unputdownable. I cannot wait for the discussion to start.

Hi Shelia! Great to hear from you. And I'm very pleased you did pick up the book! And equally pleased you're enjoying it.

As far as I'm aware, the discussion is open - you can ask any question you like, even if you haven't got to the end.

Contributor
NamelessHereForEvermore
0 Kudos

I love buying books, I love the look of books and the feel of them and even the smell of them. But I like to get them at the library first to see if the story is worth buying.

I agree, the designers did an awesome job on the book. I just graduated with an Advertising and Graphic Design degree so I know how hard it is to design something that looks really good. When I see a good design I like to check it out; so I clicked on the link for this blog because I liked the design of the book. 

~Bekah

P.S. They are really good looking 4's! lol.
~NamelessHereForNevermore
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

NamelessHereForEvermore wrote:
I love buying books, I love the look of books and the feel of them and even the smell of them. But I like to get them at the library first to see if the story is worth buying.
I agree, the designers did an awesome job on the book. I just graduated with an Advertising and Graphic Design degree so I know how hard it is to design something that looks really good. When I see a good design I like to check it out; so I clicked on the link for this blog because I liked the design of the book.
~Bekah
P.S. They are really good looking 4's!

I'll pass on your admiration for the 4s!

Frequent Contributor
carriele
0 Kudos

Hi.  I'm Carrie from PA.  I picked this book up after receiving an email from BN.  I must admit that if I hadn't received the email recommendation I wouldn't have selected the book on my own.  I am so glad that BN picked this selection though.  I loved Child 44 so much that I couldn't put it down.  It is one of the best books that I have read in a long time.  I recommended Child 44 to a friend of mine and she had the same reaction.  We couldn't stop talking about it.  While the story line is great, the background details about Stalin's rule are better yet.  I hope everyone enjoys this book as much as  I did!

Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

carriele wrote:
Hi. I'm Carrie from PA. I picked this book up after receiving an email from BN. I must admit that if I hadn't received the email recommendation I wouldn't have selected the book on my own. I am so glad that BN picked this selection though. I loved Child 44 so much that I couldn't put it down. It is one of the best books that I have read in a long time. I recommended Child 44 to a friend of mine and she had the same reaction. We couldn't stop talking about it. While the story line is great, the background details about Stalin's rule are better yet. I hope everyone enjoys this book as much as I did!

Hi Carrie - great to hear from you. And I'm thrilled you and your friend enjoyed the book.

One of the wonderful things about Barnes & Noble's recommendations are that they cross literary divides. I feel honored to have been selected, particularly looking at the books in whose footsteps I'm following. Going by crude categorization, we would never have been bunched together as a group of books. And I think that's great: it would be a shame if genre boundaries predetermine readership.

Personally, I read anything. But like everyone, I have my preferences so sometimes you need someone to nudge something new at you. I'm very grateful B & N have done that with CHILD 44.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hello, I go by IBIS and am a die-heart crime and mystery fan. I am a professional violinist and very shy in temperament. My close friends are constantly amazed with my attraction to the dark sides of crime and murder mysteries, flawed and troubled detectives, serial killers with inexpicably dark motivations.... all ingredients I found to my immense joy in CHILD 44.

I've just returned from an international tour (to Asia) with my violin-quartet group... on the plane flights and interminable airport terminals, many people were drawn to the cover graphics. I loved telling them about the story...

See you in the book threads....

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
Hello, I go by IBIS and am a die-heart crime and mystery fan. I am a professional violinist and very shy in temperament. My close friends are constantly amazed with my attraction to the dark sides of crime and murder mysteries, flawed and troubled detectives, serial killers with inexpicably dark motivations.... all ingredients I found to my immense joy in CHILD 44.

I've just returned from an international tour (to Asia) with my violin-quartet group... on the plane flights and interminable airport terminals, many people were drawn to the cover graphics. I loved telling them about the story...

See you in the book threads....

IBIS

Hello IBIS,

What a fascinating introduction! Welcome to the conversation.

I'm often asked why have I written about this "dark" subject matter. In a way, if you're writing a thriller, danger is the meat and drink of the material. In this book the source of danger is the State and it offered a fascinating adversary for our hero.

I think that "darkness", for want of a better word, is very different from gore - which doesn't interest me, not out of any moral objection, but simply because there is very little narrative in gore.

Anyway, I'm pleased that once again the cover has lured people in, those 4s are behaving like a venus fly-trap.

Frequent Contributor
ROSIE
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm rosie.  I joined the club because the description of the book sounded so fascinating.  I received my book yesterday and will have to read fast because I have eye surgery next Wed.

I had surgery on the other eye during the book club for Belong to Me and did manage to finish it before the surgery!!!!!  (I tried to read Austen's Mansfield Park for a concurrent May club but the print was just too small--really!) 

By the way,  I had a hiatus of a few years from the clubs and returned with the Belong to Me club. I have started back to grad school but am not taking classes for the summer so the clubs seemed like a good idea.

I am from Maryland,  originally from NYC, and am a reading fiend (with an eclectic taste in books).

rosie
Users Online
Currently online: 87 members 1,044 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: