Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

ROSIE wrote:
Hi,
I'm rosie. I joined the club because the description of the book sounded so fascinating. I received my book yesterday and will have to read fast because I have eye surgery next Wed.
I had surgery on the other eye during the book club for Belong to Me and did manage to finish it before the surgery!!!!! (I tried to read Austen's Mansfield Park for a concurrent May club but the print was just too small--really!)
By the way, I had a hiatus of a few years from the clubs and returned with the Belong to Me club. I have started back to grad school but am not taking classes for the summer so the clubs seemed like a good idea.
I am from Maryland, originally from NYC, and am a reading fiend (with an eclectic taste in books).
rosie

Hi Rosie - now I'm worried about the size of my font, but I guess you can just blow it up large on your computer. Yes, the classics often have very, very small print, I wonder why that is. Maybe it adds gravitas.

Anyway, a warm welcome! Jane, another reader posting on this club, read the book pretty quickly, I hope you get sucked in by it. It was always intended as a page turner.

Learn more about Child 44.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I thought you might enjoy reading another post I made in another thread... it discussed revising B&N bookclubs. A major consensus is that readers get little lead time finding out what the books will be.

lorien wrote:

I was still curious as to why the Child 44 club didn't take off since everything looked like it should. And I think the overwhelming majority here is right. The biggest problem is the lack of notice on the new books.

I went back to this club and read the introductions. The first post was Monday June 2. Only two of the people who introduced themselves had read the book. The rest had just gotten it, or were going to get it, and were planning on reading it. This was probably the situation with other potential participants..

This should have been a great discussions group. The author is responding to every post and providing very interesting information. It is really too bad. The only thing it lacks is people who have read the book. I don't have it and I don't have time to read it. Hang in there Ibis! Maybe a few other people will get the book read in time!

IBIS wrote:
Lorien, your post is spot-on. This is my example of how rushed reading Child 44 was for me. I found out that CHILD 44 was a B&N Recommended book right before I had to leave for a 2-week tour in Asia (I'm a violinist with a string quartet)...

Luckily our manager scrounged a copy for me and handed it to me as I boarded the outgoing flight... I read the book in multiple sessions.. between rushed practice sessions... intermissions between performances... while waiting for connections... on ten-hour flights in uncomfortable coach seats without leg room... airport terminals with glaring fluorescent lights... hotel beds sized for midgets...

When I returned to the States 2 weeks later, the discussion with the author was well underway... I finished the book this Friday night, June 6... and, thank goodness, have been blessed to be able to contribute to the discussion with Tom Rob Smith... a marvelously generous guest author....

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the genre... Mr. Smith will be with us through June... at least 3 more wonderful weeks of discussion..

IBIS

Edited by Admin for formatting.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 06-10-2008 10:23 AM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

IBIS wrote:
I thought you might enjoy reading another post I made in another thread... it discussed revising B&N bookclubs. A major consensus is that readers get little lead time finding out what the books will be.

lorien wrote:

I was still curious as to why the Child 44 club didn't take off since everything looked like it should. And I think the overwhelming majority here is right. The biggest problem is the lack of notice on the new books.

I went back to this club and read the introductions. The first post was Monday June 2. Only two of the people who introduced themselves had read the book. The rest had just gotten it, or were going to get it, and were planning on reading it. This was probably the situation with other potential participants..

This should have been a great discussions group. The author is responding to every post and providing very interesting information. It is really too bad. The only thing it lacks is people who have read the book. I don't have it and I don't have time to read it. Hang in there Ibis! Maybe a few other people will get the book read in time!

IBIS wrote:
Lorien, your post is spot-on. This is my example of how rushed reading Child 44 was for me. I found out that CHILD 44 was a B&N Recommended book right before I had to leave for a 2-week tour in Asia (I'm a violinist with a string quartet)...

Luckily our manager scrounged a copy for me and handed it to me as I boarded the outgoing flight... I read the book in multiple sessions.. between rushed practice sessions... intermissions between performances... while waiting for connections... on ten-hour flights in uncomfortable coach seats without leg room... airport terminals with glaring fluorescent lights... hotel beds sized for midgets...

When I returned to the States 2 weeks later, the discussion with the author was well underway... I finished the book this Friday night, June 6... and, thank goodness, have been blessed to be able to contribute to the discussion with Tom Rob Smith... a marvelously generous guest author....

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the genre... Mr. Smith will be with us through June... at least 3 more wonderful weeks of discussion..

IBIS

To be honest I had no idea if anyone was going to show up and say hi when I started this book club. So, from my point of view I'm thrilled... I feel like one of those small side show tents, juggling to a small but very friendly crowd.

Anyway, I felt so guilty yesterday when I realized I hadn't responded to CathyB's post... if the number of questions suddenly soared, my second book would go out the window.

And, as IBIS points out, I'm here all month guys... so you have time to read the book and talk to me too.

Edited by Admin for formatting.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 06-10-2008 10:24 AM

Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

Re: Timing, Lack of Lead Time?

Fellow readers and writer,

I, for one, am really enjoying the opportunity to discuss this book with the author, and other readers, before I get a chance to read it.  I'll have much more insight and appreciation for it when I get to it.  I just realized I'll be passing by a B&N on my way to the train that will take me to Portland.  I'll have a great read for the train.  Just hope I don't get too freaked out *thinking of the music and graphics from the website for the book*:smileysurprised:

I don't know if it's so much the lead time for me, as the number of choices.  Most of us get notification of the future reads.  But, since I'm so far from a bookstore, I'm unable to preview the books in a store.  My local libraries (county-wide) either don't have the books or they have a long wait list immediately.  I am working on the local librarians and trying to get them into the B&N BookClub website.  Once of twice, I've read an excerpt from a book, traveled to purchase it, and found I didn't really like it.

There's hope - most of us can probably do some quick and quality reading if need be, put in an all nighter...And, there are many more readers of the post, than posters (I think I just made that word up, it looks funny).

tgem
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

tgem wrote:
Fellow readers and writer,
I, for one, am really enjoying the opportunity to discuss this book with the author, and other readers, before I get a chance to read it. I'll have much more insight and appreciation for it when I get to it. I just realized I'll be passing by a B&N on my way to the train that will take me to Portland. I'll have a great read for the train. Just hope I don't get too freaked out *thinking of the music and graphics from the website for the book*:smileysurprised:
I don't know if it's so much the lead time for me, as the number of choices. Most of us get notification of the future reads. But, since I'm so far from a bookstore, I'm unable to preview the books in a store. My local libraries (county-wide) either don't have the books or they have a long wait list immediately. I am working on the local librarians and trying to get them into the B&N BookClub website. Once of twice, I've read an excerpt from a book, traveled to purchase it, and found I didn't really like it.
There's hope - most of us can probably do some quick and quality reading if need be, put in an all nighter...And, there are many more readers of the post, than posters (I think I just made that word up, it looks funny).
tgem

Great! I think it's fun too, being able to talk to someone before they buy the book.

Trains feature big in CHILD 44... A perfect place to start the book.

New User
sugarsugar
0 Kudos

I just purchased this book today and i can't wait to read it. Honestly, i just started reading book for few months since i decided to stay home with my child... so reading books is new to me but i'm loving it! :smileywink:

Sugar
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

sugarsugar wrote:
I just purchased this book today and i can't wait to read it. Honestly, i just started reading book for few months since i decided to stay home with my child... so reading books is new to me but i'm loving it! :smileywink:
Sugar

Hi there!

I don't think I can quite get away with calling you "sugar": I don't have that Dukes Of Hazard zing to me.

However, I am very pleased you're looking forward to reading the book. I'm excited to hear what you make of it.

Reader
willi1962
0 Kudos

It was the cover of the book that drew me in. I first learned of the book online and didn't think I would read it, but I saw the book (Love the cover) at a B & N and saw that there was a book club and I couldn't resist. I've read about 100 pages and am loving it.
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Tom Rob Smith,

I'm happy to report that your book is displayed front and center in both the B&N in Flagstaff, AZ and a B&N in Portland, OR.  Hopefully, everywhere in between.

I was able to start your book on the train.  I contemplated the timelessness of trains.  They do have a certain atmosphere.  I only got about 100 pages into the book during my trip.  I was sitting next to a wonderful lady who really wanted to talk.  Fortunately, she was brilliant.  I decided to leave off reading at an "oh WOW!"  moment, so I could get back to it uninterrupted.

Then I had some difficulties getting back online.  I'm back.  I will first say - loved it!  You mentioned in one of your posts the possibility of there being a bias concerning certain genres.  I believe your writing crosses over from thriller to literary historic thriller.  Your style is unique and intrigues me - I'll be anxiously waiting for your next novel.

I will post more thoughts later.  Now that I have read it, I want to keep thinking about it.  Your characters soon became so real to me, I have to think about them.

Thank you,

tgem 

"It takes a lot to laugh - it takes a train to cry."  Bob Dylan

Message Edited by tgem on 06-18-2008 07:09 PM
Contributor
syost77
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm new to the Book Club and I just started reading Child 44 this morning.
syost77
Contributor
syost77
0 Kudos

Hello. I'm new to the Book Club. I started reading Child 44 this morning, and it seems fascinating.
syost77
Contributor
syost77
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Book Club and I started reading Child 44 this morning.
syost77
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

willi1962 wrote:
It was the cover of the book that drew me in. I first learned of the book online and didn't think I would read it, but I saw the book (Love the cover) at a B & N and saw that there was a book club and I couldn't resist. I've read about 100 pages and am loving it.

Hi, a warm welcome to the forum.

You're right about the cover, it's wonderful. As I have mentioned in an earlier post, but never get tired of boasting about, those "4"s were specially designed for the book. Another cover which is completely different but also very beautiful is the Dutch KIND 44. They've gone with a sort of menacing fairy tale look, a forest covered in snow, a mysterious figure... it's wonderful too. I think you can see it at www.child44book.com if you're interested in comparing.

I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far!

Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

tgem wrote:
Tom Rob Smith,
I'm happy to report that your book is displayed front and center in both the B&N in Flagstaff, AZ and a B&N in Portland, OR. Hopefully, everywhere in between.
I was able to start your book on the train. I contemplated the timelessness of trains. They do have a certain atmosphere. I only got about 100 pages into the book during my trip. I was sitting next to a wonderful lady who really wanted to talk. Fortunately, she was brilliant. I decided to leave off reading at an "oh WOW!" moment, so I could get back to it uninterrupted.
Then I had some difficulties getting back online. I'm back. I will first say - loved it! You mentioned in one of your posts the possibility of there being a bias concerning certain genres. I believe your writing crosses over from thriller to literary historic thriller. Your style is unique and intrigues me - I'll be anxiously waiting for your next novel.
I will post more thoughts later. Now that I have read it, I want to keep thinking about it. Your characters soon became so real to me, I have to think about them.
Thank you,
tgem
"It takes a lot to laugh - it takes a train to cry." Bob Dylan

Message Edited by tgem on 06-18-2008 07:09 PM

Hi Tgem

I love these names... Flagstaff, I'm going to have a look at it on google earth.

There is something fun about holding off on a book you're enjoying. I often force myself to stop, to try and stretch a book out, just because excited anticipation is such a nice feeling.

Anyway, I am very happy that you enjoyed the book! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

syost77 wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm new to the Book Club and I started reading Child 44 this morning.

Hi there - and welcome. Your three posts include very subtle variations, I was looking for some meaning in them but couldn't come up with any theory.

I hope you enjoy the book. I'm here for a couple for weeks so do come back and let me know.

Contributor
syost77
0 Kudos

Mr. Smith,

Sorry about the three postings. Each time I entered an introduction, after submitting, I didn't see the post, figured I was doing something wrong, and so I continued posting.

I've read 60 pages so far and I love the interview between Leo and Zina. Fascinating and frightening that her statement "He was a good man" could condemn her to prison.
syost77
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

syost77 wrote:
Mr. Smith,

Sorry about the three postings. Each time I entered an introduction, after submitting, I didn't see the post, figured I was doing something wrong, and so I continued posting.

I've read 60 pages so far and I love the interview between Leo and Zina. Fascinating and frightening that her statement "He was a good man" could condemn her to prison.

You could have been posting forever! Anyway, it makes me look extra popular so I don't mind at all.

I enjoyed writing that scene between Leo and Zina. And no matter what doubts might be creeping into Leo's mind about the regime, he clearly, in this interview at least, relishes the power of his position.

Reader
0 Kudos

So far....loving it!  The character development is wonderful.  The beginning has sucked me in, I always love to foreshadow...what will become of the young boy from the first pages of the book.  I have ideas in my head, I can't wait to find out if they are one in the same!  Thanks!
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

2552 wrote:
So far....loving it! The character development is wonderful. The beginning has sucked me in, I always love to foreshadow...what will become of the young boy from the first pages of the book. I have ideas in my head, I can't wait to find out if they are one in the same! Thanks!

That's great - let me know how it pans out for you!

New User
jeannemarie1
0 Kudos

Reading is my passion and working in a small Florida library I get to fully indulge it.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 224 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: