Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

Re: Whole Novel

tgem wrote:
Oops! Lost my ability to edit my post. Let me change the very end of it.

tgem wrote:

Its just one of those days
When you don't wanna wake up
Everything is .......
Everybody sux
You don't really know why

Having one of those days? You are on the verge of starvation. You have already eaten any rodents, bugs, and leather that is available. You find yourself chewing on dirt, sticks, and even a piece of furniture. Your father left to look for food and never returned. Your mother sends you out in sub-zero temperatures to catch a scrawny cat for dinner, and instead your brother is taken. Your mother tells you someone will eat him. Not quite that bad? What’s your definition of a bad day?

No human contact
And if you interact
Your life is on contract
Your best bet is to stay away ......
It's just one of those days

Bad day at the office? No loyalty? Telling your co-worker that your son has been murdered is not allowed, because it is the official stance of your country - that murder doesn’t happen. To pursue the truth will only result in you and your family being hunted, tortured, and if you’re fortunate, being executed. No? Maybe your day at the office wasn’t that bad after all.

It’s all about the he says she says bull....
I think you better quit
Lettin' sh... slip
Or you'll be leavin with a fat lip

Family is just letting you down? Your parents advise you to turn in your spouse, to possibly save them and yourself. Three lives for one. The country you’ve dedicated your life to is now testing your loyalty. You really don’t know who might say what to bring an end to all you’ve worked for, and your life. And, there are some fates worse than death. That’s not what’s happening with your family? Maybe they’re not so bad after all.

The scenerios above come from Tom Rob Smith’s, Child 44. Reading it will probably change your definition of a bad day. His book is based on extensive research on the lives led by those in Soviet Russia in the mid 1900s. His book is an awesomely written thriller. You may not want to know the truth of these times, but will not be able to stop reading. Don’t be afraid either - it’s not all darkness.

Lyrics in italic, Break Stuff, by Limp Bizkit

tgem

What an awesome post Tgem! Thanks so much. I love that you guys seem to be responding so creatively to the book - it's very flattering.

On the subject of "bad days" - it is a very difficult thing to do, to contextualize your problems across a global or historical axis. As a general observation we live in extremely prosperous and free times but of course if you're struggling to pay your rent, or your being bullied at school, or whatever, it's very hard to think... well at least I'm not being interrogated by the MGB.

Having said that I was never particularly popular at school and I never really cared all that much because I liked books!

Learn more about Child 44.
Contributor
syost77
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters, Whole Novel

"I'd be a knave, a knight, the one with the sword." (p. 7) Who knew such foreshadowing existed.

Congratulations on such a fascinating and entertaining read. I was hooked from the beginning and on the edge of my seat throughout.

I will forever remember Leo and Raisa, and even moreso, I will remember the minor characters that were so artfully brought to life.

I wish you all the best commercial and critical success. You earned it.
syost77
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

Re: Whole Novel

[ Edited ]
Tom Rob Smith,

I agree with you completely.  You seem to have so much empathy.  Maybe that ties into your ability to write so well and create characters that are so real.  I know that reading about those in much worse situations doesn't work for everyone, especially those who suffer from depression, but it has always been a part of my perspective.  Sometimes when people are having problems they feel alone and isolated, but problems are universal.  Sometimes if we can get out of ourselves and feel for others, our isolation and problems will seem less.  It's the getting out of ourselves that is key I think.  (BT)

I mentioned earlier that I grew up during the cold war.  USSR was the enemy at that time.  In this country we knew very little about the people of USSR; we were led to believe the entire country was evil.  You've given the time and the people substance - most people of the country were suffering under the regime of that time.  Since then we have heard of other "evil empires" and it's convenient for some to throw everyone in a country into this generalization.  Your book is an important reminder not to do so.

tgem

Tom Rob Smith wrote (in part):

On the subject of "bad days" - it is a very difficult thing to do, to contextualize your problems across a global or historical axis. As a general observation we live in extremely prosperous and free times but of course if you're struggling to pay your rent, or your being bullied at school, or whatever, it's very hard to think... well at least I'm not being interrogated by the MGB.

Having said that I was never particularly popular at school and I never really cared all that much because I liked books!

Message Edited by tgem on 06-23-2008 09:58 AM
Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

syost77 wrote:
"I'd be a knave, a knight, the one with the sword." (p. 7) Who knew such foreshadowing existed.

Congratulations on such a fascinating and entertaining read. I was hooked from the beginning and on the edge of my seat throughout.

I will forever remember Leo and Raisa, and even moreso, I will remember the minor characters that were so artfully brought to life.

Thanks so much!

On edge of your seat... those are the words I live for!

Learn more about Child 44.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

syost77 wrote:

Great catch, Syost77!  Your quoting it gave me a chill!

What I was most taken by early on was how intensely precise those portrayals of brotherly love, fury, anxiety, and jealousy all were. I transferred those scenes to my reading of Leo and Vasili's relationship, but didn't realize how completely the novel was an extension of those early scenes!
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 253 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: