Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Raisa

In some ways, Raisa's cool self-reliance and survival instincts mirrored Leo's physical strength and military experience--she seems almost superhuman in her ability to simply endure! This is a woman who regarded her own beauty as a vulnerability rather than as an asset.

Is she a different person at the end of the novel?

Also, did you think she was in love with Ivan?
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Raisa

rkubie wrote:
In some ways, Raisa's cool self-reliance and survival instincts mirrored Leo's physical strength and military experience--she seems almost superhuman in her ability to simply endure! This is a woman who regarded her own beauty as a vulnerability rather than as an asset.

Is she a different person at the end of the novel?

Also, did you think she was in love with Ivan?

Raisa is a fascinating creation... I can see why the author loves her. ...

The scene where the doctor blackmails her... we see her at her most vulnerable, when her beauty is  used as a weapon against her... she examines her own actions. In typical victim mind-set...  she wonders, was it something SHE said or did that prompted these sordid advances?

In this world of shadows, she wonders what is real and what isn't... she is under the delusion that Leo is responsible for the capture of her best friend...  she lies about being pregnant hoping that Leo would not denounce her..... the hollow coin in her possession,  a symbol of the physical abuse in her early years...

With her personal history of physical abuse at the hands of men, I don't wonder that she may have sought  what she perceived as comfort in Ivan's world...  he convinced her with his pretense.... he tried very hard to symbolize everything that Leo was not...

However, with her low tolerance for unrealistic expectations...  her well-developed sense of survival... I don't think she would fool herself into falling in love with Ivan...

It was only when the veils dropped from both their eyes, when they finally saw each other for who they genuinely were, did Raisa allow herself to love Leo.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 468 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: