Rachel-K
0 Kudos

The Nesterovs

I found the Nesterovs--once we see them together--to be wonderful characters. I sickened by Nesterov targeting "outsiders"  for the murders, and his change of heart was a great relief--a kind of turning point--Leo and Raisa would have someone fighting with them instead of against them.

I also loved how their relationship gives us something to contrast with Leo and Raisa. They seem quite hardened, but they also seem to deeply trust each other and rely upon each other. Nesterov will have a knock-down-drag-out with a man on the front stoop, then change his mind, drop the poor man in the kitchen, and his wife will patch him up and make him a drink. And when Inessa tells her husband that she knows he's going to say yes to Leo, I suddenly liked them both. It's like they can't deny a basic decency in themselves, although they have tried.

Do you think seeing the worst of Nesterov first, then seeing him with his family--perhaps gives us a warning about meeting the killer? A warning that we will not entirely be allowed to maintain a cool distance?

Author
TRS_Old
0 Kudos

Re: The Nesterovs

rkubie wrote:
I found the Nesterovs--once we see them together--to be wonderful characters. I sickened by Nesterov targeting "outsiders" for the murders, and his change of heart was a great relief--a kind of turning point--Leo and Raisa would have someone fighting with them instead of against them.
I also loved how their relationship gives us something to contrast with Leo and Raisa. They seem quite hardened, but they also seem to deeply trust each other and rely upon each other. Nesterov will have a knock-down-drag-out with a man on the front stoop, then change his mind, drop the poor man in the kitchen, and his wife will patch him up and make him a drink. And when Inessa tells her husband that she knows he's going to say yes to Leo, I suddenly liked them both. It's like they can't deny a basic decency in themselves, although they have tried.
Do you think seeing the worst of Nesterov first, then seeing him with his family--perhaps gives us a warning about meeting the killer? A warning that we will not entirely be allowed to maintain a cool distance?

Nesterov is the character most like the real detective who worked on the Chikatilo case. That isn't to say he's based on him but they're at least vaguely similar (in my view) - which is say decency struggling against conformity.

He is definitely a character that you warm to as the book develops, I think. As a writer, I think the process was the same for me, the more I wrote him, the more I liked him. I always try and find something I love about each character, no matter how different they are to me, or how much I disagree with their point of view.

Learn more about Child 44.
Frequent Contributor
tgem
0 Kudos

Re: The Nesterovs

Pages 427-429 were a brilliant wrap.  My inner voice was cheering, hurray, when Leo asks to work with General Nesterov.

tgem
Users Online
Currently online:33 members 340 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: