Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author



amanda10390 wrote:
I just finished the book last night, and I could not put it down! I had to pick a choice book for an English project, and I saw Child 44 on this website on the 'recommended' list, and thought I'd pick it up. When I brought it home I was at first reluctant to read it because of the very short time I had, but as soon as I picked it up I literally could not stop. I read for 4 hours straight because if I stopped, I feel like I would lose the moment that I was captured in. I probably enjoyed this book mostly because of my background knowledge of Soviet Russia (my AP European History class has drilled this into my head). That definitely let me make connections, and enabled me to appreciate the book so much more.
I felt like I was there with Leo and Raisa on their whole journey watching as they ran from peril.
To wrap it up my class had to do a project on this book where we had to write a poem about it, and choose 2 other writing assignments. I chose to write about the title's meaning, and I wrote a letter from Leo Demidov to Jay Gatsby.
This book is the best page turning and historically connected (and accurate!) book I can honestly say I've ever read.
I see it's being made into a movie (2010?) ...I'm always scared to watch movie versions of books.
And do I see a sequel coming too?!
Thank you very much for writing this book for all to enjoy!
Amanda





Hi Amanda,

So great to hear from you. I know exactly what you mean when you describe that shift from feeling slightly unsure about a book to being sucked in. It's a wonderful feeling.

I should throw my hands up and admit that I'm certainly no historian and my first loyalty was always to making scenes exciting. Luckily I have a stack of amazing books and some very good Russian reader friends of mine who went through the whole thing very carefully. They pointed out a couple of mistakes, quickly erased.

That's really tremendous that the book gave you enough to spin off your own creative work. Books have always sparked ideas for me.

As for the movie, don't be scared! It's in the best possible hands, Richard Price (LUSH LIFE & CLOCKERS) is writing the script. Ridley Scott will direct. I think it's going to be tremendous!


Learn more about Child 44.
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

Wow, Amanda. What a wildly creative choice! I'm really curious to hear a bit of this--have you finished your assignment yet?
 
Rachel
Contributor
amanda10390
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

[ Edited ]
Yes I have completed the assignment! I'll just choose some excerpts from each category.
 
poem:
As they begin to accept the Lies as Truth
the brainwashed robots turn in their friends
preserving themselves in the end [...]
 
letter to Jay Gatsby from Leo
[...]You may be unaware, but your love interest, Daisy Buchanon may very well be a German spy. You must denounce her at once. If you turn her over to authorities now you will not be harmed. [...] Also Mr Gatsby, I must tell you that Myrtle Wilson's death was not a murder. You must accept it as accidental, and no other way. If anyone asks you tell them it was an accident. Between you and me, I personally believe Mytle's death was homicide, but we cannot announce this under Stalin's rule. Your friend Nick Carroway will also be interrogated soon. You might want to inform him so he knows that the truth will be the only thing to save him.[...]
 
meaning of the title:
on a literal level Arkady is Child 44. However, going a step further, Arkady is the one who leads to Leo's, and the reader's realization that Leo is the heroic figure in the book despite his weak aura at the beginning. Arkady is the catalyst to Leo's monomythic journey. We follow him from his departure/serparation to his initiation, and to his return along with everything in between (i.e. call to adventure, apotheosis, and the rescue from without). Fyador, Arkady's husband enables Leo to realize that even an MGB officer will let love and emotions get in the way of a case that should be dismissed as an "accident"[...]
 
Well, there's a little sample for you!
 
 
Thanks to my English teacher this year, I was able to make so many of these connections and complete this project. Unfortunately, and somewhat ironically, she is moving to London in August. I'll tell her to look out for Mr. Smith..haha.
 
Oh and very good and insightful videos on Youtube of Mr. Smith discussing his inspiration for his book. Also a little chat about the sequel!


Message Edited by amanda10390 on 06-12-2008 06:17 PM
Contributor
amanda10390
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

I will trust you about the movie being in good hands.
Can't wait to see it!
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author



amanda10390 wrote:
Yes I have completed the assignment! I'll just choose some excerpts from each category.
poem:
As they begin to accept the Lies as Truth
the brainwashed robots turn in their friends
preserving themselves in the end [...]
letter to Jay Gatsby from Leo
[...]You may be unaware, but your love interest, Daisy Buchanon may very well be a German spy. You must denounce her at once. If you turn her over to authorities now you will not be harmed. [...] Also Mr Gatsby, I must tell you that Myrtle Wilson's death was not a murder. You must accept it as accidental, and no other way. If anyone asks you tell them it was an accident. Between you and me, I personally believe Mytle's death was homicide, but we cannot announce this under Stalin's rule. Your friend Nick Carroway will also be interrogated soon. You might want to inform him so he knows that the truth will be the only thing to save him.[...]
meaning of the title:
on a literal level Arkady is Child 44. However, going a step further, Arkady is the one who leads to Leo's, and the reader's realization that Leo is the heroic figure in the book despite his weak aura at the beginning. Arkady is the catalyst to Leo's monomythic journey. We follow him from his departure/serparation to his initiation, and to his return along with everything in between (i.e. call to adventure, apotheosis, and the rescue from without). Fyador, Arkady's husband enables Leo to realize that even an MGB officer will let love and emotions get in the way of a case that should be dismissed as an "accident"[...]
Well, there's a little sample for you!
Thanks to my English teacher this year, I was able to make so many of these connections and complete this project. Unfortunately, and somewhat ironically, she is moving to London in August. I'll tell her to look out for Mr. Smith..haha.
Oh and very good and insightful videos on Youtube of Mr. Smith discussing his inspiration for his book. Also a little chat about the sequel!


Message Edited by amanda10390 on 06-12-2008 06:17 PM





Hi Amanda: thanks so much for sharing that with us. It's a tremendous honor to inspire a creative and critical response. I used to edit a magazine at university which published student creative and critical responses. I always felt the two reactions to a text had a lot in common. You cover a wide range of themes of the book, using an equally broad range of responses - letters, poems and an essay, love, truth and realization.

In many ways once a book is written the author hands it over to the reader - for that reason I particularly loved reading what you made of the title. As it happens it took me a while to decide upon it... I'm very glad it made so much sense to you.

English teachers are wonderful! It is a great job. I taught English in Nepal for a while and loved the experience. I've had many, many wonderful teachers (not just English teachers) to whom I owe a lot to. Your teacher sounds like a knock-out! Pass on my best wishes! I hopes she enjoys London.


Learn more about Child 44.
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author



amanda10390 wrote:
I will trust you about the movie being in good hands.
Can't wait to see it!





Nor can I!


Learn more about Child 44.
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author



amanda10390 wrote:
I will trust you about the movie being in good hands.
Can't wait to see it!





By the way Amanda: did you post a completely adorable review on youtube?

I've shown it to everyone at Grand Central: my publishers, we think it's amazing! I'm also posting it on my facebook page. It is without a doubt my favorite review ever.

If you message me your postal address via the private mail function I'll send you a CHILD 44 goody bag - with a signed first edition and some other fun stuff. Only if you want... of course...

Hopefully we can post that review on this website. If not it is here at...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7BfLPERiDM


Learn more about Child 44.
Contributor
amanda10390
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

[ Edited ]
I just read over what I wrote about the title symbolism and I noticed a pretty big error...I said Fyador was Arkady's husband (NOO!!) it's obviously his dad.
haha sorry about that...That's a little bit embarrassing, and that will teach me to proof read before submitting any of my work!
But once again thank you, Tom for publicizing by book review in multiple places!


Message Edited by amanda10390 on 06-14-2008 11:49 AM

Message Edited by amanda10390 on 06-14-2008 11:49 AM
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author



amanda10390 wrote:
I just read over what I wrote about the title symbolism and I noticed a pretty big error...I said Fyador was Arkady's husband (NOO!!) it's obviously his dad.
haha sorry about that...That's a little bit embarrassing, and that will teach me to proof read before submitting any of my work!
But once again thank you, Tom for publicizing by book review in multiple places!


Message Edited by amanda10390 on 06-14-2008 11:49 AM

Message Edited by amanda10390 on 06-14-2008 11:49 AM




I think I must have corrected that slip automatically... I certainly didn't notice it. I would make a terrible copy-editor!

As it happens, I'm not much of a speller. I really struggled with spelling and grammar at school, I remember one time not being sure which side of the page to write from, left to right, or right to left. It also used to take me forever to learn new vocabulary when I was studying foreign languages.


Learn more about Child 44.
Contributor
amanda10390
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

Well, that definitely would have been quite the puzzle trying to read your book backwards!
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author



amanda10390 wrote:
Well, that definitely would have been quite the puzzle trying to read your book backwards!





I never tried to read a book backwards. It was when I was faced with a blank page I wasn't sure which side of the page to start writing on.

By the way, I just put your CHILD 44 goody bag, which is entirely improvised with items off my shelf, into the post. I hope you like it.


Learn more about Child 44.
Contributor
amanda10390
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

Yes I understand that, but if you continued to write the way you used to your book would be somewhat backwards.
 
Trust me, whatever comes in the mail from you I will love!!
 
I cannot thank you enough!!!
Amanda
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author



amanda10390 wrote:
Yes I understand that, but if you continued to write the way you used to your book would be somewhat backwards.
Trust me, whatever comes in the mail from you I will love!!
I cannot thank you enough!!!
Amanda





Oh... I get it.

Well, you'd have to hold it up against a mirror, it would add to the fun of it I'm sure.


Learn more about Child 44.
Contributor
amanda10390
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

That is the way I perfer to read my books.
 
Question! Did you have any inspiration for the characters' names?
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author



amanda10390 wrote:
That is the way I perfer to read my books.
Question! Did you have any inspiration for the characters' names?





Hi Amanda - my rule for names was simple... keep them as a short as possible!


Learn more about Child 44.
Contributor
amanda10390
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

[ Edited ]
I recently received 2 different editions of Child 44 from Tom Rob Smith (the U.K. edition and Dutch), and here is what I thought about them.
Seeing the different covers is really interesting. The U.K. and U.S. ones are very similar, but I think I prefer the U.K. one over the Dutch one because the U.K. cover represents more the plot of the book whereas the Dutch cover shows what I think it just a moment in the book...in that shack where Andrei tries to sexually harrass that girl. It may imply a broader symbolism, but in my opinion it does not.
 
Anyone else have thoughts on the different covers??


Message Edited by amanda10390 on 06-22-2008 05:58 PM
Author
TRS_Old
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎05-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

[ Edited ]
If you want to check out the different covers for yourself you can at

www.child44book.com

I'm really enjoying seeing how different countries, different publishing houses generate completely different front covers. The UK / US / Dutch covers make interesting comparisons. The Dutch cover looks like a kind of menacing fairytale... really beautiful.

Anyway, I'm glad you received the books Amanda. Your interpretation of the covers is interesting, your spin on the Dutch cover is different to mine. I saw it being the man in the woods at the beginning of the novel, the man who steals Pavel for food.

Message Edited by Tom_Rob_Smith on 06-23-2008 06:32 AM


Learn more about Child 44.
Contributor
amanda10390
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

That too would make sense. I guess it's up to the readers interpretation! I never looked at the child44 website until now and it's really well put together...very nice - even though the quiz told me i was 'undefined' in Stalin's Soviet Russia.
Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 1,110 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: