Rachel-K
0 Kudos

First Impressions?

America America opens at a funeral, and with a small town newspaper editor speaking confidentially about a past he isn't sure he wants to "bring back."

What are the advantages of starting a story with the funeral of one of its important characters?

What do you make of Corey Sifter, of the inexperienced intern who needles him, of the characters at the funeral? What are you expecting from the novel after this opening?

Please remember not to post spoilers in our early threads!

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions?

rkubie wrote:

America America opens at a funeral, and with a small town newspaper editor speaking confidentially about a past he isn't sure he wants to "bring back."

What are the advantages of starting a story with the funeral of one of its important characters?

"There was no one else alive now who knew."   (pg. 15)

When I read this line, I thought that the narrator, Corey, felt ready and obligated to say what he knew about Senator Bonwiller.  Therefore, I expected a truthful and complete story from him.  Corey felt free to speak since the Senator had died and did not feel the need to protect the Senator from himself, so to speak.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

What do you make of ... the inexperienced intern who needles him ... ?

She annoyed me!

Luckily, she became much less annoying very quickly!  LOL!

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I wanted to add that the setting of the book, upstate New York, and the small town with a rich patriarch, reminded me of Richard Russo's book, Empire Falls.  I assume this is a common first impression. 
Laura

Users Online
Currently online:48 members 557 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: