Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what lead you to read America America.

Be careful not to post any spoilers!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Known on these boards as "Pepper" or "P", I am an avid reader of almost anything within sight or reach.  But, the email blurbs and the announcement of Mr. Canin's upcoming participation on these boards enticed me enough to actually spring for a newly released hardcover!

Given immersion in War and Peace and some other reading commitments at the moment, I will confess to a scanning first read of America, America, but I do hope it shall be possible to return to it during the period of the author's visit with us.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Hi!  I am Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine.

The great reviews of America America caught my eye and I thought it sounded like an interesting book, one containing a subject matter I do not normally read about --- politics.  I read the book a few weeks ago.  It brought me back to another time and place, a time I don't remember, but I bet many of you do.

I am looking forward to talking with you all about it.

Hi Pepper and Ethan!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
New User
KarenS
0 Kudos

My name is Karen, and I live in Stratham, NH.  My husband is one of Mr. Canin's fans, and I bought the book for him.  Usually we do not read the same books, but America, America was an exception.  I have almost finished the book and am really enjoying it...
Contributor
sheshe703
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Sheila and I live in Alexandria, Virginia.  I picked up this book at Barnes and Noble the other weekend because it was a Barnes and Noble recommendation.  The last Barnes and Noble recommendation that I read was Child 44 and I loved that book so I am excited about reading another recommendation. 

I read anything I can get my hands on.  I have two or three books going at the same time, there is the one at the office to read during lunch if I need to take a break, there is the one on the bedside table that I read before I go to sleep and there is the one that I keep in the car so that I am never without something to read in case i get stuck somewhere with time on my hands.

Author
Ethan_Canin
0 Kudos

Great. Sheila. I wish there were more people in the world like you!

Learn more about America America.

Discover all Ethan Canin titles.

Contributor
Vitin
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm Vitin, Victor's nickname in Spanish. I have not read America America, but I'm heading to the book store this week to buy it. Won't tell you where, since there is no Barnes and Noble in Puerto Rico. Too bad! But what lead me to read it, is all the wonderful remarks I've been reading.  
New User
MJane
0 Kudos

I am MJane.  I am part of a book discussion group at B&N.  America America is our book for the month of August.
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 681 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: