Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Lisbeth or Mikael?

Do you think of Lisbeth or Mikael as the novel's "main character"? Can you explain why you think so?
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Lisbeth or Mikael?

Do you think of Lisbeth or Mikael as the novel's "main character"? Can you explain why you think so?

The fact that you asked this question makes me wonder... initially I thought it was Mikael, but since you ask the question, I may have to rethink that.... can there be more than 1 main character in a book?

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

At the start of the novel, I thought Mikael was more the main character but as I read further on Lisbeth started to take more prominence.  It seems they both share the weight of the book.  The narration is third person omniscient and it doesn't privilege either character over the other; the reader is privy to the motivations for both Lisbeth and Mikael.  The novel is Mikael's story to begin with but along the way Lisbeth finds herself (and she's pretty cool); the title also very clearly favors Lisbeth.

Perhaps it is Lisbeth's story - the whole Millenium trilogy, that is.  When do we get the other two? :smileyvery-happy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I think they could both be main characters, but she is definitely the more interesting one. I would be more disappointed if she were not in the sequels than if he weren't. But I liked the part where they were together. Interesting team!

rkubie wrote:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Like everyone else I am not sure either. At the beginning it seemed like it was Mikael.
Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
New User
lovesjournaling
0 Kudos

If memory serves, the story is told mainly in Mikael's voice. He could not have solved the mystery without Lisbeth's story, though, and the author gives her credit in the title and leaves us wondering and worrying about her at the end. I think the author deliberately chose to have two main characters. His story is strongest when their lives intersect. Of course this is only one reader's opinion. What's yours?

Lovesjournaling

www.writeradvice.com 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 1,029 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: