Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Favorite Passages?

Please share your favorite moments and passages from the novel!
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages? - Page 173 - SPOILER

SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

Juliet said, "A lot of men don't keep mementos, Isola.  Don't want keepsakes.  That doesn't necessarily mean a thing.  What on earth were you looking for?"

"Evidence, like Miss Marple does.  But no, not even a picture of her.  There's lots of pictures of you and Kit, and several of you by yourself.  One of you wrapped up in that lace curtain, being a Dead Bride.  He's kept all your letters tied up in hat blue hair ribbon --- the one you thought you'd lost.  I know he wrote Remy at the hospice, and she must have written him back --- but no, nary a letter from Remy.  Not even her handkerchief --- oh, he found one of yours.  You might want it back, it's a pretty thing."

I found myself wanting to laugh at the absurdity of the situation, to cry with joy over Dawsey loving Juliet, to strangle Isola for her meddling stupidity, and to shout hooray for a happy ending all at the same time when I read this passage.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I liked that we heard about that through Isola. She was quite a character. I thought it was funny when she was reading everyone's head b/c of the book Sidney sent her.

Fozzie wrote:

SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

Juliet said, "A lot of men don't keep mementos, Isola.  Don't want keepsakes.  That doesn't necessarily mean a thing.  What on earth were you looking for?"

"Evidence, like Miss Marple does.  But no, not even a picture of her.  There's lots of pictures of you and Kit, and several of you by yourself.  One of you wrapped up in that lace curtain, being a Dead Bride.  He's kept all your letters tied up in hat blue hair ribbon --- the one you thought you'd lost.  I know he wrote Remy at the hospice, and she must have written him back --- but no, nary a letter from Remy.  Not even her handkerchief --- oh, he found one of yours.  You might want it back, it's a pretty thing."

I found myself wanting to laugh at the absurdity of the situation, to cry with joy over Dawsey loving Juliet, to strangle Isola for her meddling stupidity, and to shout hooray for a happy ending all at the same time when I read this passage.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Well I'm glad you didn't strangle Isola because the more I read about Isola, the more I liked her.  She was a free spirit in her own world, doing her own thing, and she turned out to be my favorite character in the end.  She always had an interest or two to keep herself busy, some funnier than others, and it was her understanding (or luck) of reading bumps on Billie Bee's head that saved her grandmother's letters and exposed Billie Bee and Gilly Gilbert.  Just like Juliet and Elizabeth were the center figures in the book, and all the other writers were more or less normal, the story needed some one just a little different and Isola was that person.  Adelaide was different but she was just your average normal contrary person, but Isola was one in a million.  She definitely kept you on your toes.  

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

many favorites

[ Edited ]
I had so many favorite sections and topics to discuss that my book was full of Post-it notes marking the pages. Unfortunately I have a copy from the library so I've been removing all of them because it's due back now. Eventually I'm getting my own copy and marking all of my favorites again. This is a book that I will (and have already) read again!
Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-26-2008 03:45 PM
Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Well I'm glad you didn't strangle Isola because the more I read about Isola, the more I liked her.  She was a free spirit in her own world, doing her own thing, and she turned out to be my favorite character in the end.  She always had an interest or two to keep herself busy, some funnier than others, and it was her understanding (or luck) of reading bumps on Billie Bee's head that saved her grandmother's letters and exposed Billie Bee and Gilly Gilbert.  Just like Juliet and Elizabeth were the center figures in the book, and all the other writers were more or less normal, the story needed some one just a little different and Isola was that person.  Adelaide was different but she was just your average normal contrary person, but Isola was one in a million.  She definitely kept you on your toes.  

literature wrote:

I too love Isola. I don't think she's dense; I think she sees the world like children do--with perennial interest and not much nuance.

Learn more about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Discover all Annie Barrows titles.
Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Re: many favorites

Wrighty wrote:
I had so many favorite sections and topics to discuss that my book was full of Post-it notes marking the pages. Unfortunately I have a copy from the library so I've been removing all of them because it's due back now. Eventually I'm getting my own copy and marking all of my favorites again. This is a book that I will (and have already) read again!
Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-26-2008 03:45 PM

Personally, I love to see notes in the margins, but librarians tend to frown on that. Very wise to use post-its.

Learn more about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Discover all Annie Barrows titles.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 524 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: