Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

First Impressions?

[ Edited ]

What are your early impressions of Juliet Ashton and her friends? Do you get a strong sense of her spirit? Do you get much of a sense of what these characters have been through during the war?

Message Edited by rkubie on 09-02-2008 12:44 AM
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions?

I think from the beginning we get a good sense of who Juiet is. I think that Annie did an excellent job in letting us feel what the characters had been through with the war yet this was not sad book. The characters were strong and likeable.

I never knew anything about the German occupation of Guernsey, so I got an education also. No matter what the islanders had been through the had a strong sense of community and you knew they would be survivors despite the tragedies in their lives.

I think this book had everything, spirit, love, community, humor, tragedy, friendship.

This is a book I have been recommending to many people. However, I am being selfish and not loaning out my own copy. They can go buy their own copy, this is a book to be read and re-read.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

When I first read about the book I wasn't sure if I would be very interested in the subject matter. I don't usually chose this kind of book and I wasn't familiar with Geurnsey at all. Well, from the first page I've been hooked and my only complaint is that I haven't had enough time to sit down and read! I've only had brief time periods to scan through a page or two and it's so frustrating! I also like the letter format and it works well for this story. I have had to take some notes to keep the different people straight. It's been easier for me to keep track of who is writing the letters and what part they play. It's starting to rain here so it's a good day to read. A lot!
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

What are your early impressions of Juliet Ashton and her friends? Do you get a strong sense of her spirit? Do you get much of a sense of what these characters have been through during the war?

My first impression of Juliet was of a person frustrated with her current life, itching to make changes, start anew, but not sure how to do that.  Her friends in the literary society start off as a nice distraction while Juliet looks for inspiration, both personally and professionally.

I immediately picked up on the isolation people on the island felt during the war and the general sense by all of being glad that things can now get back to normal, but they weren't getting back to normal quick enough.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

My first impression of Juliet was of a person frustrated with her current life, itching to make changes, start anew, but not sure how to do that. Her friends in the literary society start off as a nice distraction while Juliet looks for inspiration, both personally and professionally.

I immediately picked up on the isolation people on the island felt during the war and the general sense by all of being glad that things can now get back to normal, but they weren't getting back to normal quick enough.

That's a good point about the residents of the island Fozzie. They went through so much during the occupation that when it was over they just wanted their lives back. But they could never have the old ways back and they needed to find a new normal. That's something they had in common with Juliet.

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 300 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: