Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what lead you to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Be careful not to post any spoilers!


Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I'm a bookseller at the Coralville B&N and I couldn't wait for this one to go on sale!  I loved 84 Charing Cross Road and was very intrigued by the concept of Guernsey - an epistolary novel, something of a rarity these days, about how even the most unassuming book can touch our lives.  I loved it.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
katknit
Posts: 347
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, I'm Linda from  CT. I picked Guernsey the same way I pick other books. I like to read about WWII and people's experiences in that war. I finished it last week, and was absolutely enthralled. Can't wait to discuss it with everyone here.

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi!  My name is Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine.  I first heard about this novel when B&N picked it as a Recommended selection, and I haven't stopped hearing about it since!

 

I read the book over my recent vacation, the format of letters exchanged being perfect for picking up and putting down the book frequently, as I was doing.  I found the book to be noteworthy for the range of emotions I felt while reading it.

 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

I agree Laura - this is the first contemporary novel I read (in many years) that actually made me tear up because I was so invested in the history of one of the characters.


Fozzie wrote:

I found the book to be noteworthy for the range of emotions I felt while reading it.

 


 

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 08-30-2008 09:06 PM
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, I'm Deb from NY and I heard about this book from B&N. I had thought that there might not be enough plot b/c of the format of the book. I was definitely wrong. It was nice to read a book with so many interesting characters that I also liked.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
New User
BlueMoonBeam
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎08-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi,

 

I am about one third of the way through this delightful book, and am enjoying it immensely.  I love the letter format, which is a great style of writing for the way I usually get to read.

 

I am reading this on Kindle, but I do feel that I want to own a hard copy of this book, also.  I don't feel that way about all books.

 

Look forward to discussions.  Off the bed now for some more reading.

 

Bobbi - Ohio

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, I'm Sheil from NJ.  I enjoy reading and learning through reading.  I'm on Barnes & Noble's email list and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one of their recommended books.  After perusing the narrative and especially after reading Elizabeth Gilbert's endorsement, I knew I would enjoy it.   I just finished reading the book and look forward to reading it again.  I know I will get even more out of the book the second time. 
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi I'm Deb from western NY. I'm married with three teens and I've been enjoying the clubs here for a few years now. I saw this book on the Announcement thread for the September reads. That was about the same time I saw it on the best seller lists. Congratulations Annie! I've heard really good things about it and I'm finally getting a chance to really get some reading done. I've just started the book so I'm not very far into it but it's interesting already.
New User
pattyo
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-04-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society understand 84 Cross Road would be recommended reading as well. I also enjoy novels about the WW2 era, Any recommendations from other readers on similar books? Pattyo
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello,

my name is Gisela and I want to go to Guernsey right now, before it gets overrun with book lovers. A friend of mine sent me a postcard from Guernsey (St. Peter's Port) recently and told me that it is a place I would love. Of course I became curious; hadn't ever heard or seen much of the Channel Islands before, but quickly learned. One of the googled items was the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. What a wonderful way to learn about a place. I read the novel in two days, made lots of notes, and am determined to make it one of my next projects to go there.

 

What intrigued me most in the novel is the variety of people introduced through letters. I wrote down more than 30 names and made a list of the books some of them read. One would think that so many characters would confuse a reader, but the opposite is true, I have a rather clear visions of a lot of them. The idea of giving the characters their place in the community by having them tell about their reading material is clever and often humorous.

 

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I agree with you.  I would love to visit Guernsey and take my book with me and all the people who are enjoying the book will be there and so will Annie.  After reading your intro, I googled Guernsey and started reading all about it.  If you go on to the Random House website and put in the title of the book, there is a short video by Annie Barrows with some footage of how you imagined Guernsey and the people to possible look like.  I am reading the book for the second time and am getting so much more out of it.  I find myself reading it with a smile on my face.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]


Sunltcloud wrote:

Hello,

my name is Gisela and I want to go to Guernsey right now, before it gets overrun with book lovers. A friend of mine sent me a postcard from Guernsey (St. Peter's Port) recently and told me that it is a place I would love. Of course I became curious; hadn't ever heard or seen much of the Channel Islands before, but quickly learned. One of the googled items was the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. What a wonderful way to learn about a place. I read the novel in two days, made lots of notes, and am determined to make it one of my next projects to go there.

 

What intrigued me most in the novel is the variety of people introduced through letters. I wrote down more than 30 names and made a list of the books some of them read. One would think that so many characters would confuse a reader, but the opposite is true, I have a rather clear visions of a lot of them. The idea of giving the characters their place in the community by having them tell about their reading material is clever and often humorous.

 


literature wrote:

I agree with you. I would love to visit Guernsey and take my book with me and all the people who are enjoying the book will be there and so will Annie. After reading your intro, I googled Guernsey and started reading all about it. If you go on to the Random House website and put in the title of the book, there is a short video by Annie Barrows with some footage of how you imagined Guernsey and the people to possible look like. I am reading the book for the second time and am getting so much more out of it. I find myself reading it with a smile on my face.

 




 

Geurnsey must be getting so much attention because of this book. I wonder if it has affected their tourism trade. Would you happen to know Annie? Have they contacted you to thank you? (or complain? :smileywink: your book is extremely popular after all. They may have to build onto the island!) Gisela, it's so ironic that you heard about the island first and found out about the book that way. I would think that most people would do the opposite, as I did. How did your friend happen to visit there and did she like it? I also made a list and notes of the characters to help me out in the beginning. I usually do that when I'm reading a book for a club discussion. That's a great idea to also note the books they are reading.

 

I'm almost finished with the book and it's so frustrating that it's taking me so long. I've been busy and have only been able to read in bits and pieces. I hate having to stop although the way it was written made it much easier. I didn't have to leave off in the middle of a chapter. I am also going to be rereading it and this time I'm going to lounge in my hammock and read at my leisure.

 

Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-11-2008 03:30 AM
Author
Annie_Barrows
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎08-14-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


Wrighty wrote:


Sunltcloud wrote:

Hello,

my name is Gisela and I want to go to Guernsey right now, before it gets overrun with book lovers. A friend of mine sent me a postcard from Guernsey (St. Peter's Port) recently and told me that it is a place I would love. Of course I became curious; hadn't ever heard or seen much of the Channel Islands before, but quickly learned. One of the googled items was the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. What a wonderful way to learn about a place. I read the novel in two days, made lots of notes, and am determined to make it one of my next projects to go there.

 

What intrigued me most in the novel is the variety of people introduced through letters. I wrote down more than 30 names and made a list of the books some of them read. One would think that so many characters would confuse a reader, but the opposite is true, I have a rather clear visions of a lot of them. The idea of giving the characters their place in the community by having them tell about their reading material is clever and often humorous.

 


literature wrote:

I agree with you. I would love to visit Guernsey and take my book with me and all the people who are enjoying the book will be there and so will Annie. After reading your intro, I googled Guernsey and started reading all about it. If you go on to the Random House website and put in the title of the book, there is a short video by Annie Barrows with some footage of how you imagined Guernsey and the people to possible look like. I am reading the book for the second time and am getting so much more out of it. I find myself reading it with a smile on my face.

 




 

Geurnsey must be getting so much attention because of this book. I wonder if it has affected their tourism trade. Would you happen to know Annie? Have they contacted you to thank you? (or complain? :smileywink: your book is extremely popular after all. They may have to build onto the island!) Gisela, it's so ironic that you heard about the island first and found out about the book that way. I would think that most people would do the opposite, as I did. How did your friend happen to visit there and did she like it? I also made a list and notes of the characters to help me out in the beginning. I usually do that when I'm reading a book for a club discussion. That's a great idea to also note the books they are reading.

 

I'm almost finished with the book and it's so frustrating that it's taking me so long. I've been busy and have only been able to read in bits and pieces. I hate having to stop although the way it was written made it much easier. I didn't have to leave off in the middle of a chapter. I am also going to be rereading it and this time I'm going to lounge in my hammock and read at my leisure.

 

Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-11-2008 03:30 AM


Wrighty wrote:


Sunltcloud wrote:

Hello,

my name is Gisela and I want to go to Guernsey right now, before it gets overrun with book lovers. A friend of mine sent me a postcard from Guernsey (St. Peter's Port) recently and told me that it is a place I would love. Of course I became curious; hadn't ever heard or seen much of the Channel Islands before, but quickly learned. One of the googled items was the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. What a wonderful way to learn about a place. I read the novel in two days, made lots of notes, and am determined to make it one of my next projects to go there.

 

What intrigued me most in the novel is the variety of people introduced through letters. I wrote down more than 30 names and made a list of the books some of them read. One would think that so many characters would confuse a reader, but the opposite is true, I have a rather clear visions of a lot of them. The idea of giving the characters their place in the community by having them tell about their reading material is clever and often humorous.

 


literature wrote:

I agree with you. I would love to visit Guernsey and take my book with me and all the people who are enjoying the book will be there and so will Annie. After reading your intro, I googled Guernsey and started reading all about it. If you go on to the Random House website and put in the title of the book, there is a short video by Annie Barrows with some footage of how you imagined Guernsey and the people to possible look like. I am reading the book for the second time and am getting so much more out of it. I find myself reading it with a smile on my face.

 




 

Geurnsey must be getting so much attention because of this book. I wonder if it has affected their tourism trade. Would you happen to know Annie? Have they contacted you to thank you? (or complain? :smileywink: your book is extremely popular after all. They may have to build onto the island!) Gisela, it's so ironic that you heard about the island first and found out about the book that way. I would think that most people would do the opposite, as I did. How did your friend happen to visit there and did she like it? I also made a list and notes of the characters to help me out in the beginning. I usually do that when I'm reading a book for a club discussion. That's a great idea to also note the books they are reading.

 

I'm almost finished with the book and it's so frustrating that it's taking me so long. I've been busy and have only been able to read in bits and pieces. I hate having to stop although the way it was written made it much easier. I didn't have to leave off in the middle of a chapter. I am also going to be rereading it and this time I'm going to lounge in my hammock and read at my leisure.

 

Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-11-2008 03:30 AM

I'm guessing that the book will have at least a bit of an impact on Guernsey tourism--and I hope they are happy about that. I thought about calling the tourist board to give them a head's up, but I figured they'd think I was off my rocker. It is a lovely place with so much fascinating history that people can't help but be drawn to it. And if Guernsey gets too crowded, there's always Herm and Sark and--dare I say it?--Jersey. 


Learn more about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Discover all Annie Barrows titles.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


Wrighty wrote in part:

Geurnsey must be getting so much attention because of this book. I wonder if it has affected their tourism trade. Would you happen to know Annie? Have they contacted you to thank you? (or complain? :smileywink: your book is extremely popular after all. They may have to build onto the island!) Gisela, it's so ironic that you heard about the island first and found out about the book that way. I would think that most people would do the opposite, as I did. How did your friend happen to visit there and did she like it? I also made a list and notes of the characters to help me out in the beginning. I usually do that when I'm reading a book for a club discussion. That's a great idea to also note the books they are reading.

 

Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-11-2008 03:30 AM


My friend took a cruise with stops in five or six European countries; one of the stops was in St. Peter's Port. She spent the day there and loved it. She liked the shopping and the walking and mentioned the historical information she received, especially about the German occupation of the Island during WWII and the atrocities that have been committed. Between discussing Todt slaves and looking at a beautiful postcard of the harbor she convinced me to go there, either by myself soon or next year with her. She was so pleased with the cruise that she wants to do the same one again next year. And I, of course, immediately googled Guernsey and spent half the night trying to abosorb the information I saw. Now I'm torn; I am toying with the idea of flying to Germany, to a place named Worpswede, an old artist town, and walking in the footsteps of one of my favorite poets, Rainer Maria Rilke, or should I walk the cliffs in Guernsey and research more war? I just ordered the book "Ebenezer Le Page" by G B Edwards, the "classic Guernsey novel" as it is advertised on "The Guernsey Society" web site. By they way, they do list "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" on their web site as available form Amazon UK.

 

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

After reading your message I went back to the B&N site and looked up "Ebenezer Le Page" by G B Edwards and wound up ordering it.  I look forward to reading it.  Before reading the Guernsey Literary Society, I only knew that the Channel Islands existed and where they were located.  

Contributor
cobalt-blue
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎09-13-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello, I am going to read the book again, too! And, the endorsement by Elizabeth Gilbert attracted me, too. I enjoyed the characters and the story so much, but let me start from the beginning. I joined the book club because this a book that I know I would enjoy discussing. Now that I have finished the book, I look forward to discussing it with the book club.
Author
Annie_Barrows
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎08-14-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


literature wrote:

After reading your message I went back to the B&N site and looked up "Ebenezer Le Page" by G B Edwards and wound up ordering it.  I look forward to reading it.  Before reading the Guernsey Literary Society, I only knew that the Channel Islands existed and where they were located.  


The Book of Ebenezer Le Page is wonderful--I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you knew where the Channel Islands were located, you're ahead of a lot of people (including, until a few years ago, me).

 

 


Learn more about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Discover all Annie Barrows titles.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


literature wrote:

After reading your message I went back to the B&N site and looked up "Ebenezer Le Page" by G B Edwards and wound up ordering it.  I look forward to reading it.  Before reading the Guernsey Literary Society, I only knew that the Channel Islands existed and where they were located.  


You are making me laugh! I had to get out a map and find their exact location; I pictured them near Shetland and Fair Isle, but figured they must be somewhere else since my friend's cruise didn't go that far north. The word "Channel" made me realize that they must be between UK and France.

New User
Angelshimmery
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi I'm Angie and I originally read this book as an advanced reading copy, and raved about it to everyone, I have since bought another copy for myself and re-read it several times and I have given copies as gifts to my mum and my sister. Loved it.  :smileyhappy:
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 697 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: