Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Re: Recommended Reading

literature wrote:
My grandmother used to fry cut up pieces of fat from, I believe, some cut of beef and it was delicious.  As a child I never knew what it was or where it came from but hum good.  She also used to simmer the unfertilized chicken eggs in chicken soup and those were good too.  She was from a section that was considered Russia in the 1890's.  Knowing the origins of these foods now, I would never eat them.

Wow--I sort of blanch at the thought of fried fat, but I bet it was delicious. And there's something wonderful of making use of every last bit of food. I suppose that back in the days when most people did hard physical labor all day, lots of calories were necessary.

Learn more about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Discover all Annie Barrows titles.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Annie_Barrows wrote:
Your recipe for potato-beet mash sounds substantially superior to the authentic potato peel pie. Frying is far too fuel-prodigal for a World War II recipe.  No, for an authentic experience, you must simply boil the potato and beet together for the shortest amount of time that will permit them to be mashed, and then dump the mash into a pan lined with uncooked potato peelings. You then cook it in the oven, again for the shortest amount of time possible, about fifteen minutes in my case.  It's very gluey and filling, but there's not much nutrition in there. I can't imagine that it's good for the arteries either. And believe me, it's not worth breaking your diet for.

You're right, the "authentic experience" does not sound very inviting. Besides, I'm always a little afraid of the "color intensity" of beets (and pomegranates). A little dribble or splatter can ruin a t-shirt instantly.

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Annie_Barrows wrote:
Your recipe for potato-beet mash sounds substantially superior to the authentic potato peel pie. Frying is far too fuel-prodigal for a World War II recipe.  No, for an authentic experience, you must simply boil the potato and beet together for the shortest amount of time that will permit them to be mashed, and then dump the mash into a pan lined with uncooked potato peelings. You then cook it in the oven, again for the shortest amount of time possible, about fifteen minutes in my case.  It's very gluey and filling, but there's not much nutrition in there. I can't imagine that it's good for the arteries either. And believe me, it's not worth breaking your diet for.

You're right, the "authentic experience" does not sound very inviting. Besides, I'm always a little afraid of the "color intensity" of beets (and pomegranates). A little dribble or splatter can ruin a t-shirt instantly.

I know, I know. Every time I make beets (for my kids, not for me!), it looks like I've murdered someone on the cutting board.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

Annie_Barrows wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

I've saved all of our favorite children's books too so that my nieces and nephews can read them now and then someday my grandchildren will be able to. I still have some of my own favorites from when I was a kid!

Certain people who shall be nameless (clue: I'm married to him) keep trying to get me to throw out all the baby books, but I REFUSE. That's not a baby book, I say, that's an icon of our daughters' youth. He says how can it be an icon when the pages are stuck together? And I say that makes it a personalized icon. This argument has been going on for years. I'm winning. 

Don't give up the fight! I'll stand beside you all the way. I did have to thin out our books because we had a basket of them in every room besides the ones on bookshelves. I gave those to family and a kindergarden class but I still have a lot left. I saved the hardbacks, the autographed copies, the gifts and the favorites - even the sticky ones. Those are usually the ones that have been read and loved the most. The personalized icons.

Remind he who shall be nameless of Juliet's first fiance and his big mistake!

My mother saved all my books from my childhood and they were my niece and nephews favorites to read.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

Annie_Barrows wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

I've saved all of our favorite children's books too so that my nieces and nephews can read them now and then someday my grandchildren will be able to. I still have some of my own favorites from when I was a kid!

Certain people who shall be nameless (clue: I'm married to him) keep trying to get me to throw out all the baby books, but I REFUSE. That's not a baby book, I say, that's an icon of our daughters' youth. He says how can it be an icon when the pages are stuck together? And I say that makes it a personalized icon. This argument has been going on for years. I'm winning. 

Don't give up the fight! I'll stand beside you all the way. I did have to thin out our books because we had a basket of them in every room besides the ones on bookshelves. I gave those to family and a kindergarden class but I still have a lot left. I saved the hardbacks, the autographed copies, the gifts and the favorites - even the sticky ones. Those are usually the ones that have been read and loved the most. The personalized icons.

Remind he who shall be nameless of Juliet's first fiance and his big mistake!

My mother saved all my books from my childhood and they were my niece and nephews favorites to read.

Good point! He who shall be nameless does have a few hideous trophies on his desk, too--hmmm . . . 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

http://www.guernsey-society.org.uk/bookshop/index.htm

The Guernsey Society now shows "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" on the top of their bookshop web page. It is featered in the summer edition of the "Review." I couldn't get a single copy from the website but I will try to get the Review while I am in Guernsey. If there is stil post-bookgroup traffic here when I get back I will report on it.

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

http://www.guernsey-society.org.uk/bookshop/index.htm

The Guernsey Society now shows "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" on the top of their bookshop web page. It is featered in the summer edition of the "Review." I couldn't get a single copy from the website but I will try to get the Review while I am in Guernsey. If there is stil post-bookgroup traffic here when I get back I will report on it.

You're our group detective. Thanks

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

If not, can you post it on your website and we'll just keep checking.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

literature wrote:
If not, can you post it on your website and we'll just keep checking.

I don't have a website just a blog that I kept up while I was knitting 100 Bears for Africa. I could post it there so look for it on http://purlingantonia.blogspot.com when I get back during the last week of October. I will be knitting bears for Mother Bear Project while abroad, working on my second hundred.
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but I sent an email off today to an acquaintance that lives around the London area and asked her to see if she could get a copy of the Review and just email it to me.  If she does do it in time, I will post it on this site.  If not, I will email it to Annie.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

literature wrote:
I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but I sent an email off today to an acquaintance that lives around the London area and asked her to see if she could get a copy of the Review and just email it to me.  If she does do it in time, I will post it on this site.  If not, I will email it to Annie.

These threads will still be here even if people have moved on to other clubs by then. We can either keep checking back or bookmark it so a notice will come up whenever anything new is posted.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. 
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Your teddy bears are just precious.  I just did a presentation on teddy bears at work (no, teddy bears are not work related, I just had to do a presentation) and I will email it to your blog after you return from your trip.  Have a great trip.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Tyana J LittleString and I thank you for "presenting" teddy bears and we are looking forward to your email. T. is my travel companion, an eighteen-inch bear with a large wardrobe and even larger portfolio of glossy 8x10s. She is featured on my blog on May 20, 2008 under "Time Out" as we get ready for an Alaska Cruise.

literature wrote:

Your teddy bears are just precious.  I just did a presentation on teddy bears at work (no, teddy bears are not work related, I just had to do a presentation) and I will email it to your blog after you return from your trip.  Have a great trip.

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Cool. I can put it up on www.guernseyliterary.com, which is the website run by my cousin and me. Thanks.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Annie, the following is the reply I received from my business contact in the London area:

Of course I will help out if I can. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to track down a copy of the Guernsey Society Review yet, but will keep trying over the next few days and will let you know if I can get a copy.
However, to be going on with, below are the web addresses of some of our UK newspapers' reviews of the book you are interested in - hope these are of some help.
www.entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article4484639.ece

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Bloomsbury Publishing also had a representative (Kate Tindal)in Guernsey at the Guille Alles library and celebrated the book's publication with a discussion session and events (entertainment and music) in Market Square. I saw a clip from the interview with Kate Tindal on channelonline.tv

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Annie, the following is the reply I received from my business contact in the London area:

Of course I will help out if I can. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to track down a copy of the Guernsey Society Review yet, but will keep trying over the next few days and will let you know if I can get a copy.
However, to be going on with, below are the web addresses of some of our UK newspapers' reviews of the book you are interested in - hope these are of some help.
www.entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article4484639.ece

Ah, thank you. That's lovely. Reviews are strange, though, aren't they? One paper says it's jarringly modern and NOT BRITISH and the other congratulates Mary Ann on her grasp of the period. I suppose it's not fair to take the bits you like and dump the rest, but then you're left with utter confusion. In any case, thanks to you and your friend.  Annie

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Bloomsbury Publishing also had a representative (Kate Tindal)in Guernsey at the Guille Alles library and celebrated the book's publication with a discussion session and events (entertainment and music) in Market Square. I saw a clip from the interview with Kate Tindal on channelonline.tv

Oh, I met Kate when I was in England. She didn't tell me that there was an interview. I'll look it up.

Thanks. Annie

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I'll try to give you the web site, don't know if it works, since it is a video.

Channel Online | Guernsey News - Bestselling book launches in Guernsey: Video