Rachel-K
0 Kudos

The Literary Society

Does reading about this particular "Literary Society" reflect you own experiences of being in a book club? Who are your favorite characters? Which tastes and reading personalities best reflect your own?

New User
BlueMoonBeam
0 Kudos

Re: The Literary Society

I've never been in a book club before, but have been interested in joining one.  The timing of my reading of this book is very interesting, because after talking about it for some time, my neighbor just invited everyone on the street to start a book club. 

We had our first organizational meeting last week.  I suggested Potato Peel Pie as what I believe would be a great first read for the group, but it was passed over - for now - because some members don't want to buy books, and it would be too long a wait to get a few copies from the library because of how hot is is right now.

Looking forward to re-reading with a group in the future, though.  I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this book.

Bobbi - Ohio

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

Does reading about this particular "Literary Society" reflect you own experiences of being in a book club? Who are your favorite characters? Which tastes and reading personalities best reflect your own?

Oh yes. I belong to a book group and a writing group and though we don't eat potato peel pie, we are as complicated and as diverse as the characters in the novel.

My favorite is Isola Pribby; if ever there is a movie made, I would like to see Judy Dench in the role. Wild hair, goat, and parrot, and herb garden, and all.

I like Isola's inquisitiveness and the quaint ideas she has. "Do yo live by the river? I hope so, because people who live near running water are much nicer than people who don't." Or, "I see it that you cared to know about us, so I guess you would like us to know about you - only you just didn't happen to think of it first."

Isola is a good vehicle for soliciting information about Juliet because of her slightly eccentric behaviour. If you have a goat named Zenobia who eats the head off the little bird in the cuckoo clock you are allowed to ask personal questions.

All through the novel I marveled at the way the letters are shortcuts to characters but at the same time they allow Juliet to be indulgent. The author is putting together a jigsaw puzzle of happenings, pausing, sipping on a cup of tea, speeding up the action with a new chunk of information, using difficult pieces like Adelaide Addison, questionable pieces like Mark Reynolds, seemingly pale pieces that ultimately become colorful, like Dawsey Adams. Wonderful.  

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

I only participate in online book groups, so the society's experience is nothing like mine.  And none of the characters or their reading tastes are like mine either!  Actually, I think that is great!  I don't want to read a book about people like me.  One of the best things about books for me is that they let me get to know people, places, and situations I would never have the opportunity to experience in real life.

My favorite character was Dawsey.  I wrote about him in another thread.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I liked the approach of the Guernsey book club. Rather than assigning one book for every member to read and discuss, each member chose a title to read and then report on, telling the group what they took from their choice. That seemed to open up the discussion in which everyone could participate.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:
I liked the approach of the Guernsey book club. Rather than assigning one book for every member to read and discuss, each member chose a title to read and then report on, telling the group what they took from their choice. That seemed to open up the discussion in which everyone could participate.

Yes, I like it too--it allows each member to read whatever he or she wants. But I wonder if there would be much discussion if the other members hadn't read the book? The way I see it, there's the report on the book and then there's cake. Hmm. Sounds good to me.

Learn more about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Discover all Annie Barrows titles.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Sometimes the group seems to get into lively discussions on various philosophical ideas, no?
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:
Sometimes the group seems to get into lively discussions on various philosophical ideas, no?

Yes, definitely--predestination, Stoicism, etcetera. 

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

A book club is a great experience, especially if there is a lot of interaction.  If you don't have one readily available to you, check your local Barnes & Noble as they have all sorts of monthly book clubs.
Contributor
cobalt-blue
0 Kudos

literature wrote:
A book club is a great experience, especially if there is a lot of interaction.  If you don't have one readily available to you, check your local Barnes & Noble as they have all sorts of monthly book clubs.
I have been in one book club with co-workers. We briefly talked about the book, but quickly got side tracked by socializing while eating the food. I would definitely join a B&N book club again for the detailed discussions and interactions. Also, the author's involvement is definitely a bonus!

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

cobalt-blue wrote:

literature wrote:
I have been in one book club with co-workers. We briefly talked about the book, but quickly got side tracked by socializing while eating the food. I would definitely join a B&N book club again for the detailed discussions and interactions. Also, the author's involvement is definitely a bonus!

Thanks!

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I've saved a lot of the comments from this discussion group in a word document.  Once the book is more readily available from the library and/or out in paperback, I would like to suggest this book for my book group and  I don't want to forget any of this.  Besides, I'm going to read it again after the book club is over because then I will know every thing about every body.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

literature wrote:
I've saved a lot of the comments from this discussion group in a word document.  Once the book is more readily available from the library and/or out in paperback, I would like to suggest this book for my book group and  I don't want to forget any of this.  Besides, I'm going to read it again after the book club is over because then I will know every thing about every body.

No two clubs will be alike either so there are always new experiences to be had even after you've already read the book. My favorites by far are when the authors are here with us. We get to have discussions with other readers but we also get to pick the author's brain and get responses back. And how generous you have been Annie. Thank you!

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I've done on line book clubs and classes before with the authors and, truthfully, very few authors are like Annie.  Usually their answers are just to the point and that's it.  They don't cross the line and make themselves human.  I agree, this book club has been a lot of fun.
Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

literature wrote:
I've done on line book clubs and classes before with the authors and, truthfully, very few authors are like Annie.  Usually their answers are just to the point and that's it.  They don't cross the line and make themselves human.  I agree, this book club has been a lot of fun.

Thanks, I appreciate your nice words. But do consider that most authors are suited to become authors because they can sit alone in a room without talking to anyone for days at a time. It's hard for a lot of them to chat comfortably, even with such friendly book-lovers as you guys.

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

literature wrote:

No two clubs will be alike either so there are always new experiences to be had even after you've already read the book. My favorites by far are when the authors are here with us. We get to have discussions with other readers but we also get to pick the author's brain and get responses back. And how generous you have been Annie. Thank you!

You are welcome to my brain--it's full of extraneous information! Thank you.

Users Online
Currently online:72 members 562 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: