Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Welcome from the Author

[ Edited ]
In a way, you have now become a member of two book clubs: The Barnes and Noble Book Club and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  And that's a good thing, because the more book clubs, the better. Reading itself is usually a solitary pursuit, which is fine and even pleasant, but there's always that dismal moment when you've finished the book and you glance around the room, hoping to find another reader. At that point, you have several options: You can discuss the book with yourself, which is not much fun, as well as alarming to your loved ones. You can force the book on your friends and relations, but this can backfire -- you may discover that they have insipid opinions and then be obliged to disown them.  No, your best chance for satisfaction is to rush out and find yourself a community of fellow readers -- a book club.

A book club is a marvelous thing. Tucked inside The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a belief that my aunt Mary Ann and I hold dear: reading creates communities. The members of the Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society find in reading what they never would have discovered otherwise:  their true selves, their true friends, and the strength to transcend the dark days of the Occupation. What's more, reading led the Society's members to the world beyond the island, with wondrous results.  The same holds true for the Barnes and Noble book club members. You now have a connection to readers all over the county; perhaps they are allies whose opinions coincide with your own, or foes who dare to disagree with you, but regardless, you have something to talk about, and that, as Amelia Maugery, one of the founding members of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, says, is a great delight.  

In most cases, the author is not part of the book club, but sits alone, stewing and fretting and biting her fingernails. The Barnes and Noble Book Club has given me a unique opportunity to emerge from authorial seclusion and become part your community. It's a great pleasure to join you, and I hope to prove my club-worthiness by answering any questions you might have.  As you may know, The The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society originated with my aunt, Mary Ann Shaffer, and I began to work on the book after she fell ill.  Though she did not live to see the finished book, she would have been delighted by The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society's inclusion in the book club and by the chance to participate in these discussions. There was nothing Mary Ann loved like a good, juicy conversation about books. From my aunt I have inherited a lifetime of eccentric stories, a lot of research about the Occupation of Guernsey, a half-dozen early drafts of the manuscript, and a taste for talking books. I hope that you will indulge me by indulging your own curiosity-ask me lots of questions, anything you like! After all, you have the right : you're a member of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society now.
Message Edited by Maria_H on 08-27-2008 02:21 PM

Learn more about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Discover all Annie Barrows titles.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from the Author

How beautifully stated, Ms Barrows. I loved the book very much and I look forward to discussing it with you and other readers.  This is one of those books that after I finish it, I am sad that I can't ever again experience the pleasure of reading it for the first time. I didn't want the book to end. But I wil re-read it and have already recommended it to several friends.

I am very sorry about your aunt.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Annie, (Do you mind if we use your first name or is that too familiar? What are you most comfortable with?)

This story is so interesting and so is the way it was created. I am so sorry to hear about your aunt passing away. You both did an excellent job with this book and I hope she was able to enjoy it.

~Debbie 

Contributor
Tonya
0 Kudos

My condolences to you and your family about your Aunt. -- I gobbled this book up in one day. Who couldn't? Def one of my favorites this year and although I don't want to give out my copy, I recommend it to everyone I come in contact with!

Look forward to the discussions.

Tonya

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

Annie, (Do you mind if we use your first name or is that too familiar? What are you most comfortable with?)

This story is so interesting and so is the way it was created. I am so sorry to hear about your aunt passing away. You both did an excellent job with this book and I hope she was able to enjoy it.

~Debbie 

Hi Debbie,

(Anyone who likes the book gets to call me by my first name.)

I wish that Mary Ann had lived to see how much people love her book, and I can't help but feel that she is watching from afar and enjoying this. I hope so.

Annie

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

How beautifully stated, Ms Barrows. I loved the book very much and I look forward to discussing it with you and other readers.  This is one of those books that after I finish it, I am sad that I can't ever again experience the pleasure of reading it for the first time. I didn't want the book to end. But I wil re-read it and have already recommended it to several friends.

I am very sorry about your aunt.

I hate coming to the end of a good book myself. One of my daughters just flops the book over and starts it again, but it's not the same as the first reading. Thanks for your kind words. Annie

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Tonya wrote:

My condolences to you and your family about your Aunt. -- I gobbled this book up in one day. Who couldn't? Def one of my favorites this year and although I don't want to give out my copy, I recommend it to everyone I come in contact with!

Look forward to the discussions.

Tonya

Thanks for writing. I'm glad to hear that you liked the book. Annie

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I just ordered my two-day ticket to the San Jose Book Group Expo for October 25 and 26, and when I looked at the schedule I saw your name in one of the Saturday Salons. Great. I am looking forward to this event all year. This will be my third year at the expo and I consider it a wonderful way to listen to as many authors as possible and to immerse myself in the book group experience. And eat chocolate. I'm with Will Thisbee, can't discuss a book without food.

http://www.bookgroupexpo.com

Annie_Barrows wrote:
In a way, you have now become a member of two book clubs: The Barnes and Noble Book Club and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  And that's a good thing, because the more book clubs, the better. Reading itself is usually a solitary pursuit, which is fine and even pleasant, but there's always that dismal moment when you've finished the book and you glance around the room, hoping to find another reader. At that point, you have several options: You can discuss the book with yourself, which is not much fun, as well as alarming to your loved ones. You can force the book on your friends and relations, but this can backfire -- you may discover that they have insipid opinions and then be obliged to disown them.  No, your best chance for satisfaction is to rush out and find yourself a community of fellow readers -- a book club.

A book club is a marvelous thing. Tucked inside The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a belief that my aunt Mary Ann and I hold dear: reading creates communities. The members of the Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society find in reading what they never would have discovered otherwise:  their true selves, their true friends, and the strength to transcend the dark days of the Occupation. What's more, reading led the Society's members to the world beyond the island, with wondrous results.  The same holds true for the Barnes and Noble book club members. You now have a connection to readers all over the county; perhaps they are allies whose opinions coincide with your own, or foes who dare to disagree with you, but regardless, you have something to talk about, and that, as Amelia Maugery, one of the founding members of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, says, is a great delight.  

In most cases, the author is not part of the book club, but sits alone, stewing and fretting and biting her fingernails. The Barnes and Noble Book Club has given me a unique opportunity to emerge from authorial seclusion and become part your community. It's a great pleasure to join you, and I hope to prove my club-worthiness by answering any questions you might have.  As you may know, The The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society originated with my aunt, Mary Ann Shaffer, and I began to work on the book after she fell ill.  Though she did not live to see the finished book, she would have been delighted by The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society's inclusion in the book club and by the chance to participate in these discussions. There was nothing Mary Ann loved like a good, juicy conversation about books. From my aunt I have inherited a lifetime of eccentric stories, a lot of research about the Occupation of Guernsey, a half-dozen early drafts of the manuscript, and a taste for talking books. I hope that you will indulge me by indulging your own curiosity-ask me lots of questions, anything you like! After all, you have the right : you're a member of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society now.
Message Edited by Maria_H on 08-27-2008 02:21 PM

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

I just ordered my two-day ticket to the San Jose Book Group Expo for October 25 and 26, and when I looked at the schedule I saw your name in one of the Saturday Salons. Great. I am looking forward to this event all year. This will be my third year at the expo and I consider it a wonderful way to listen to as many authors as possible and to immerse myself in the book group experience. And eat chocolate. I'm with Will Thisbee, can't discuss a book without food.

I really like their emphasis on chocolate at bookgroupexpo. I'll look forward to seeing you there.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Annie_Barrows wrote:

I really like their emphasis on chocolate at bookgroupexpo. I'll look forward to seeing you there.

Ah, and while I nibble on my chocolate I will tell you how I liked my trip to Guernsey. I booked a flight for October 9 and will be back home just a few days before the book group expo. I might even still have jet lag.

If I remember correctly, you said in an interview that you first saw the island from the water. Does that mean you took the ferry? I would love to do that but think that it will be easier on me to fly from Gattwick to Guernsey. I wanted so much to be there during the Walking Festival during the last week in September but couldn't get an airline ticket for that time. I printed out the brochure and will attempt to take at least some of the walks on my own.  

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Annie_Barrows wrote:

Ah, and while I nibble on my chocolate I will tell you how I liked my trip to Guernsey. I booked a flight for October 9 and will be back home just a few days before the book group expo. I might even still have jet lag.

If I remember correctly, you said in an interview that you first saw the island from the water. Does that mean you took the ferry? I would love to do that but think that it will be easier on me to fly from Gattwick to Guernsey. I wanted so much to be there during the Walking Festival during the last week in September but couldn't get an airline ticket for that time. I printed out the brochure and will attempt to take at least some of the walks on my own.

Sun, I'm so envious of both of your trips! They each sound so amazing and you will be able to get so much out of them. I hope you will be back here somewhere to tell all of us about it. And I agree about the chocolate. I try not to do anything without chocolate. :smileyvery-happy:

Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Annie_Barrows wrote:

If I remember correctly, you said in an interview that you first saw the island from the water. Does that mean you took the ferry? I would love to do that but think that it will be easier on me to fly from Gattwick to Guernsey. I wanted so much to be there during the Walking Festival during the last week in September but couldn't get an airline ticket for that time. I printed out the brochure and will attempt to take at least some of the walks on my own.  

Yup, I took the ferry because I wanted to do as Juliet did, but flying will be a lot easier--and less nauseating. I bet you can do most of the walking trips on your own; be sure to walk along the cliff path at the southern part of the island. It's lovely. And don't forget the Occupation Museum!

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Your so lucky! That sounds like an amazing trip! Are you going to take the book with you??

Sunltcloud wrote:

Annie_Barrows wrote:

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:
Your so lucky! That sounds like an amazing trip! Are you going to take the book with you??

I bought myself the "kindle"  reader for my 70th birthday and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one of the first books I loaded into it. And I told the "manageress" of the Bed and Breakfast in an email that I am coming to Guernsey because I received a postcard with a picture of St. Peter Port and because I loved the book. It will be interesting to see what people on the island have to say about it.
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I, too, am envious of both of your trips.  I checked out the website groupbookexpo and it looks so great.  I will check into it to see if the east coast has anything like that.  A friend of mine had visited Guernsey a few years back and said it was amazing.  I was telling her about the book and she said she will have to read it.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I have started re-reading the book. It's just as wonderful as the first time!
Author
Annie_Barrows
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

debbook wrote:

I bought myself the "kindle"  reader for my 70th birthday and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one of the first books I loaded into it. And I told the "manageress" of the Bed and Breakfast in an email that I am coming to Guernsey because I received a postcard with a picture of St. Peter Port and because I loved the book. It will be interesting to see what people on the island have to say about it.

I'd love to know what they think of the book--be sure to keep me posted.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Annie_Barrows wrote: 

I'd love to know what they think of the book--be sure to keep me posted.

Annie,

I'm surprised you haven't heard from anyone at all from the island yet. I would think they would be very happy with your book since you both told such a great story. You also made Geurnsey sound so interesting and beautiful. Maybe a resident or two will write to you, a famous author, and you can all be pen pals. Then after you all become friends you can go visit them and have a great time. Hmm...that sounds like it could be a great book. Maybe somebody should write about it.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-19-2008 08:23 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

No matter what they think about the book in Guernsey - and I will ask them - you and your aunt are a total success in my neck of the woods. I just had a call from my 97-year old mother-in-law who has macular degeneration and hasn't read a book in many years; she heard so much about it on the radio, at the beauty parlor, from family and others, that she started to read it. She usually spends a couple of hours in the morning putting the newspaper into her magnifying machine (I don't know what that thing is called) and manipulating the pages is hard since she has no feeling in her fingers, and eye strain prevents her from reading for longer periods. But she is curious about "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and when my sister-in-law left it behind after a visit this weekend, she put it under the magnifier. She said she's only read a few pages so far, but Dawsey and Charles Lamb have come up and she is hooked. 

So I thank you for giving us this book; its humor and humanity give us something to cling on to. Mother and I discussed the effects of WWII and of the Depression Years and we agreed that human beings are quite "durable." The citizens of Guernsey, as they are portrayed in your book, show us how one survives.  

Mother talked about her younger years, getting married during the Depression, sharing an ice cream cone with her new husband on a Saturday night and feeling lucky. I told her about my mother taking apart one of her own old dresses and sewing a coat for my doll at Christmas. And how I finally got a new pair of shoes that was so big that I had to stuff it with newspaper for a whole year. How, as a six-year old, I stole a piece of bread from the garbage can and was banned from the kitchen by the French Colonel who occupied our house.

Gisela

Users Online
Currently online: 68 members 295 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: