Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Mark_Frobose

A Word About Idioms from Mark Frobose

Queridos alumnos = Dear Students

Please bear in mind that languages cannot be translated word for word.  Here are some examples to illustrate this point:

1. 'Dar un paseo' is an idiom.  It literally means 'to give a stroll' but the actual meaning is

'to take a walk'.

You may avoid this idiom by simply saying 'caminar'.  Voy a caminar.  I'm going to walk.

2. Sacar buenas notas is also an idiiom. In the whole it means to get good grades.  One cannot translate idioms word-for-word.

For example ....  Imagine you are teaching a Spanish speaker how to speak English.  The student asks you what 'I'd just as soon' means.  You try to explain that is has nothing to do with the word 'soon', or 'just'.  Together the meaning of 'just as soon' is 'prefer'.

I'd just as soon go to the store = I'd rather go to the store

The same rule applies to Spanish.  Idioms cannot be translated word for word, but must instead but seen as having an entirely new meaning when these seemingly disparate words are used together.

I hope this helps.

Happy language learning.

Mark Frobose

Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C

Re: A Word About Idioms from Mark Frobose

I will have to admit that when I heard these 2 phrases on the CD I was "thrown for a loop".  Now I know this is just one of those things you have to accept. 

I guess that is another benefit of listening to Spanish programs on the radio and TV.  You will be introduced to the more natural language as opposed to a text book.

Thank you Mark for "clearing things up".

Bonnie

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Estoy de Acuerdo Contigo/I Agree With You Bonnie/Re: A Word About Idioms from Mark Frobose

Hola Bonnie,

Estoy de acuerdo contigo Bonnie - I agree with you Bonnie.

Thanks for the feedback.

It is so important to hear and read the language in context so that you can experience how the words are put together first hand.

Con ese fin en mente, vamos a seguir escribiendo a todos en español.  ¿De acuerdo"

With that end, in mind,  let's keep writing to everyone in Spanish.  Alright?

Hasta pronto - Until soon

Mark Frobose

Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

Re: Estoy de Acuerdo Contigo/I Agree With You Bonnie/Re: A Word About Idioms from Mark Frobose

Mark_Frobose wrote:

Hola Bonnie,

Estoy de acuerdo contigo Bonnie - I agree with you Bonnie.

Thanks for the feedback.

It is so important to hear and read the language in context so that you can experience how the words are put together first hand.

Con ese fin en mente, vamos a seguir escribiendo a todos en español.  ¿De acuerdo"

With that end, in mind,  let's keep writing to everyone in Spanish.  Alright?

Hasta pronto - Until soon

Mark Frobose

Hola Mark,

Tiene razón.  Necesito hablar y escribir en español.  Me gusta aprender y estudiar español contigo.

Gracias.

Bonnie

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Hola Bonnie - A Mí También Me Gusta

Hola Bonnie,

A mí también me gusta. 

Eres una alumna excelente.

Abrazos,

Mark

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Re: Hola Bonnie - A Mí También Me Gusta

Hola!

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 61 members 258 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: