Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Kristin_Z
0 Kudos

About Behind the Wheel and Mark Frobose

[ Edited ]

Behind the Wheel Express Spanish Level 1 covers beginning to intermediate level Spanish, providing a flexible, solid and universal foundation in speaking, understanding, and creatively expressing yourself in Spanish. The program features an English speaking instructor to guide you through the lessons and two native Latin American Spanish speakers to aid with your pronunciation.

MARK FROBOSE is the founder of the Behind the Wheel series. A foreign language instructor for more than thirty years, he has built a career on “taking the foreign out of language.” He is a nationally recognized foreign language speaker, teacher, and author.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: About Behind the Wheel and Mark Frobose

In digging through my old Spanish stuff I found I had an old version of The Behind the Wheel CDs and I had also gotten the old text for it from Language Dynamics. I think this was about the time when I was taking the old Spanish Course at B&N University. I remember that it had incredible potential but it was also very frustrating in its presentation.

It is really one of the best systems I've seen for getting into Spanish sentence building with a minimum of vocabulary memorization or understanding of grammar. None of the tedium that goes with learning a language. It was all there packed into a 220 page book and 8 CDs. But that was the problem -- "packed." The material in the book was just overwhelming in its dense format. The CDs were direct cassette copies with hardly any time to respond to the prompts. You would have to keep your finger on the pause button and that would not be suitable for driving. The track breaks were at arbitrarily interval so you couldn't easily get to the beginning of anything for reviews of a segment and the breaks were usually in the middle of a dialog segment. It did have a transcript of the CDs in the text but that was in the tiniest of print and very hard to follow. (But at least it is more than you get from Pimsleur.) I probably could have worked with it if I had transcribed portions of the lessons and transcripts out into a more usable form. But then I went into my off-Spanish mode for awhile and never really gave it a chance.

From the reviews I've read of the new published form, Behind the Wheel Spanish has new formatted texts and the CDs have been expanded with more time for responses (I also listened to the audio clip on the B&N site and it is much better) and better track breaks. As I said, the old form did have great potential for getting into Spanish conversation fast (I think better than even Michel Thomas' system for sentence building and Pimsleur's limited sentence and vocabulary capability).

I think its strength is mainly as a conversation learning tool rather than one for reading or listening comprehension, though I honestly did not get deep enough into the old program to really judge that. However, I noticed that there are two more levels in the series now and it looks like they address the listening comprehension skills (maybe reading comprehension) and finer points of grammar more as well as building vocabulary. So I am looking forward to this new product and seeing what it has to offer and maybe continuing on with the Level 2 and 3. It is good to know there is some place to go once I have mastered the basics.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

[ Edited ]
Contributor
SueWho
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

I found this article by Mark Frobose on how to be sucessful learning a language.

And this one on his language learning philosophy

And another about Common Language Learning Pitfalls and their Solutions and some more suggestions

Nadine,

Thanks so much for finding these articles.  I read them all and found them very informative.  Sounds like Mr. Frobose is going to be an excellent instructor!

So says SueWho, another obsessive-compulsive bibliophile
Contributor
peg_loves_books

Thank you Nadine for these articles.  I just now found your post and had read the articles & saved them on my laptop.  I really need to pursue spanish more seriously and not in my well-familiar apathetic approach.  These articles are a good motivation for me.

Peggy

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 234 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: