Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
AmyApple
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am reading Jen Lancaster's My Fair Lazy......perfect for light summer reading!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

 

smiley41 wrote:

Hola, I haven't found a book yet in spanish but I'm looking for a "kid" book for beginners, i'm taking spanish because I've always wanted to learn a second language, and I love the spanish soap opera(telenovela?) I know I will enjoy it. thanks.

 

B&N has a whole section of Spanish kid books.

 

 

And this one looked pretty good because it is bilingual. And you can read some excerpts to see if it suits you.

 

 

Habia una vez/Once Upon a Time

  

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

 

¿Que estas mirando? (What are you watching?)

 

I'm ordering a bunch of movies from Netflix either originally in Spanish or Spanish dubbed. This way I can get used to hearing Spanish and they usually have subtitles. Any suggestions on REALLY easy ones?

------------------------------------------

 

I think I have found my beginning movie list and the perfect book for watching them.

 

 

Listen 'n' Learn Spanish with Your Favorite Movies

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is the list of movies:

 

Table of Contents

1. How to Use this Book
2. Essential Vocabulary


3. BEGINNER:
The Fox and the Hound
March of the Penguins
The Absent-Minded Professor
Tarzan


4. ADVANCED-BEGINNER:
Eight Below
Home Alone
Holes
Rocky III


5. INTERMEDIATE:
Eragon
Hoosiers
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Princess Bride


6. ADVANCED:
Anne of Green Gables
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Mary Poppins

 

They have this at my local B&N store so I'm going pick it up tomorrow.

 

New User
chelle523
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Completely new to Spanish, but I recently went to Cozumel on a cruise and it makes me want to learn the language.

 

I'm reading

 

La Hija Del Curandero / the Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan.

 

- Michelle

Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Contributor
hessteria
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎06-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

 

 

The Handmaid's Tale     I actually just finished this book, and it was wonderful!  If you are a conspiracy theory junky... good good good read.  Sorry no big words for me this morning.  yawn.

 

Hessteria :smileytongue:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Spanish Resources

If you need to translate a word or congegate one this is a good resourse:

 

Spanish-English Dictionary

 

And for the record:

 

Google Translator

 

I would put these sort of things together in a Resource thread but we are not allowed to add new threads to this forum.

Contributor
Turner_A
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎04-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I did put English in and translated it into Spanish. I am kinda confused as to why it doesn't look like the same sentences when u put it in the translator. oh well it will still be useful!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

 

Turner_A wrote:

I did put English in and translated it into Spanish. I am kinda confused as to why it doesn't look like the same sentences when u put it in the translator. oh well it will still be useful!

 

 

After all Google is only a machine and far from perfect. I am going to post later on (Spanish posts take a L-O-N-G time for me to prepare).

 

I prepared an English post (which I will post with the Spanish) and first ran it through Google. Then as a human being (with hopefully more intelligence than the machine) I tried to correct the Spanish. Then I translated my Spanish version back into English through Google. I could then see the problems. In some cases I'm fiddling with the Spanish some more and sometimes changing my English original so that it is simpler. I'm actually learning a lot by going through this process. I could try to do it from scratch but Google does get me a lot of vocabulary without my having to look up every word and some ideas on gramatical contruction. Right now I am trying to find the correct word for "master" as in a "master of a dog". Google has selected maestro but I don't think that is the right kind of master, so I am debating over amo, dueño, and patrón. I think the correct choice is amo. The whole process has been a great learning experience and not as tedious as a cold translation. And human beings are still mighter than the machine! :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Spanish Resources

[ Edited ]

Listen 'n' Learn Spanish with Your Favorite Movie

I picked up this book yesterday and I think it will help me to understand spoken Spanish. To me the Spanish I hear sounds like just a jumble of sounds. Occasionally I can hear a word but rarely. I have tried watching Spanish TV and watching Spanish movies but they speak much too fast. I have tried watching movies with subtitles but it has not really helped. I forget to listen to the Spanish and everything moves too fast for my brain to put anything together.

This book with the recommended movies might actually do the trick. First of all they have selected movies that are easier to understand. The list alone is valuable as they are also rated by level of difficulty. First, the book presents a core vocabulary list of some 600 words that represent about 80% of the words spoken in most movies in Spanish. Each word or phrase has an example from one of the represented movies. For instance the first word is a ver - let's see. The example is A ver, déjame pensar. Let's see, let me think. This is from Track 2 of The Fox and the Hound.

For each featured movie there is a general list of commonly used words and phrases in that particular movie. The the movie is divided by track number (with the time length of the track) and common phrases to listen for in that track followed by the vocabulary in the order heard for each scene withing the track. There is even a "check box" where you can check the word or phrase as you hear it. This really forces me to listen and learn the words. The movies all have English subtitles as well as Spanish audio tracks. I can start with the subtitles and then try to go solo.

The movie groupings are different in the book then what is listed in the sample Table of Contents, but the movie difficulty is covered in the narrative about the movie so you can judge your own abilities. In the book the Beginner Movies are:

Eight Below
The Fox and the Hound
March of the Penguins
The Princess Bride

I did buy The Fox and the Hound. I figured I probably would want to watch this many times while learning the vocabulary and then maybe come back to it later again. I did watch it last night and will review it a bit later (once I have worked out my Spanish version of the synopsis).

This book seems like an excellent tool for listening comprehension and the movies seem enjoyable as well.

 

 

Listen 'n' Learn Spanish with Your Favorite Movies

  

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Spanish Resources

Good old Google has some excerpts from Spanish with Your Favorite Movie so you can see exactly how the material is covered. It looks like they have all the introductory material and the core vocabulary plus some brief excerpts from the movies Eight Below and The Fox and The Hound.

 

Spanish with you Favorite Movie excerpt

 

 

 

Nadine wrote:

Listen 'n' Learn Spanish with Your Favorite Movie

I picked up this book yesterday and I think it will help me to understand spoken Spanish. To me the Spanish I hear sounds like just a jumble of sounds. Occasionally I can hear a word but rarely. I have tried watching Spanish TV and watching Spanish movies but they speak much too fast. I have tried watching movies with subtitles but it has not really helped. I forget to listen to the Spanish and everything moves too fast for my brain to put anything together.

This book with the recommended movies might actually do the trick. First of all they have selected movies that are easier to understand. The list alone is valuable as they are also rated by level of difficulty. First, the book presents a core vocabulary list of some 600 words that represent about 80% of the words spoken in most movies in Spanish. Each word or phrase has an example from one of the represented movies. For instance the first word is a ver - let's see. The example is A ver, déjame pensar. Let's see, let me think. This is from Track 2 of The Fox and the Hound.

For each featured movie there is a general list of commonly used words and phrases in that particular movie. The the movie is divided by track number (with the time length of the track) and common phrases to listen for in that track followed by the vocabulary in the order heard for each scene withing the track. There is even a "check box" where you can check the word or phrase as you hear it. This really forces me to listen and learn the words. The movies all have English subtitles as well as Spanish audio tracks. I can start with the subtitles and then try to go solo.

The movie groupings are different in the book then what is listed in the sample Table of Contents, but the movie difficulty is covered in the narrative about the movie so you can judge your own abilities. In the book the Beginner Movies are:

Eight Below
The Fox and the Hound
March of the Penguins
The Princess Bride

I did buy The Fox and the Hound. I figured I probably would want to watch this many times while learning the vocabulary and then maybe come back to it later again. I did watch it last night and will review it a bit later (once I have worked out my Spanish version of the synopsis).

This book seems like an excellent tool for listening comprehension and the movies seem enjoyable as well.

 

 

Listen 'n' Learn Spanish with Your Favorite Movies

  

 

 

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Spanish Movies

[ Edited ]

The Fox and the Hound
El Zorro y el Perro Cazador

This movie is about the friendship between two young animals, a fox, Tod and a dog, Toby. Tod's mother is killed and Tod is left orphaned. The Widow Tweed finds him and takes care of him. Her neighbor, Amos, is a hunter and brings home a puppy, Toby. The two young animals play together and become good friends. But one day Toby is taken into the woods and is trained by his master to be a fox hunter. When Toby returns as a grown dog there develops problems in their friendship because Toby is now a hunter. However, when Toby and his master encounter a bear and are in grave danger, it is Tod that comes to the rescue of his old friend.

With and assist from Google . . . (please feel free to correct my Spanish)

Esta película es sobre la amistad entre dos animales jóvenes, Tod un zorro y Toby un perro. La madre de Tod's es matar y Tod se deja huérfanos. La viuda Tweed lo encuentra y lo cuida. Su vecino, Amos, es un cazador y trae a casa un cachorro, Toby. Los dos animales jóvenes jugar juntos y ser buenos amigos. Pero un día, Toby se ha considerado en el bosque es entrenado por su amo para ser un cazador de zorro. Cuando Toby regresa como un perro se desarrolla crecido los problemas de su amistad porque Toby es ahora un cazador. Sin embargo, cuando Toby y su amo se encontran con un oso y se encuentran en grave peligro, es Tod que viene al rescate de su viejo amigo.

The introduction in my book says:

"This is an excellent Beginner film for the student who is just starting to use Spanish in context because the dialogue has a fairly slow pace, the accents are easy to understand, and the grammar is simple."

I only watched it with the subtitles to get the story line. Tonight I'm going to try it with some of the vocabulary. It is a delightful story and I think a good film to study to begin with. They have made a few changes for the Spanish version in some of the character names. But I think some are for the better. There is a woodpecker named Boomer in the English version who, from bagging on wood all the time, ends up with a scrambled brain and tongue. Boomer is a perfectly good name for a woodpecker but I thought his Spanish name, Trabalenguas, was brilliant.

You won't have the benefit of the subtitles or the vocabulary list, but you might want to watch this Spanish language excerpt to see if it suits your level.

 

El Zorro Y el Perro Cazador.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Spanish Movies

[ Edited ]

Eight Below

Rescate en la Antartida

 

I should probably stick with The Fox and the Hound, but I wanted to test out some of the other films so I'm going to watch Eight-Below tonight and I will write a review (hopefully with my Spanish translation) tomorrow. Maybe some of you would like to play and test your own Spanish comprehension?

 

First some background reading to test your reading comprehension:

 

Back Ground Reading.

 

If you can't manage that here is Google's translation into English

 

Now it happens that Google Books has the total vovabulary for this movie as part of their excerpt. Go down the "elevator" about 2/3rds after the "Core Vocabulary" to Page 2.

 

Excerpt from Spanish with your Favorite Movie

 

Then watch it and see if you can follow it. Maybe write your own review.

 

First 10 minutes of Eight Below in Spanish

 

My book puts this movie in the Beginner category and it says:

 

"Although the dialogue is spoken at a faster clip than in the other Beginner movies, the dialogue is evenly paced, easy to follow, and spaced throughout the film to give the student frequent and visually impressive breaks."

 

Hey, I may know some Spanish by the time this class starts!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Spanish Resources

Hey I just discovered another great tool from Google. If you go to this Goggle web translation I gave above for the movie Eight Below and place your cursor over a sentence, Google will shiow you the original Spanish in box above the sentence. Another great way to learn Spanish!


Spanish background for Eight Below translated by Google into English.

Reader
Ryane_Candyce
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

That was a hard start for me. The first 20 or so pages, then I could not put it down. It kept me on the edge of my seat and guessing. Usually I can guess the bad guy well before the end of the book. Now I am reading The Girl Who Played With Fire <3<3:smileyhappy:

Ryane Candyce
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

 

Ryane_Candyce wrote:

That was a hard start for me. The first 20 or so pages, then I could not put it down. It kept me on the edge of my seat and guessing. Usually I can guess the bad guy well before the end of the book. Now I am reading The Girl Who Played With Fire <3<3:smileyhappy:

 

 

Most of the members of this board are very new and have only put in one or two posts. There is a problem that might not be evident to you yet. Unless a reader of the board is following messages in threaded mode (which I don't think too many people are) we can't tell when we read your post what you are referring to. You should either make it clear in your post what you are talking about or simple hit the "Quote" button when you reply and we can see what the previous post was.

 

I am interested in your above statement, Ryane, but I have no idea what book you are referring to. I noticed that other new people are doing the same thing. It is an easy mistake -- you hit the reply button on the post you are referencing and assume everyone knows that, but we don't necessarily. Just remember, your posts need enough information so we know what you are talking about. :smileywink:

 

----------------------

Oh, I just realized after I just posted this I need to add a point. I don't know if this happens to everyone, but when I use the "Quote" I always get an HTM error message when I post the message, and I get this no matter what I do. I merely hit the Post button again and it all works out. Just one of the quirks in the system but I'm used to it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

While I'm at it, I might mention the tags. You can tag any messages that interest you under a category name. that way you can retrieve them later. The hitch is that it has to be meaningful to you and MUST be one word or a series of words made into one by using something like hyphens. So far the tags for this board are:

 

 

They are probably not very useful to even the originator. The "tag" option is at the bottom of the message.
The powers that be, and none of us has ever been able to figure out the system or even the value in the system, will raise your rank if you use tags, post a lot, give out laurels, start threads and who knows what else. Right now most of you are New Users, though some are Readers. If you get a few posts in, I think you become a Contributor. After that who knows! :smileyhappy: If you are interested in our scholarly  :smileyvery-happy: discussion of this system, visit The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia board.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Spanish Movies

Nadine wrote:

The Fox and the Hound
El Zorro y el Perro Cazador

This movie is about the friendship between two young animals, a fox, Tod and a dog, Toby. Tod's mother is killed and Tod is left orphaned. The Widow Tweed finds him and takes care of him. Her neighbor, Amos, is a hunter and brings home a puppy, Toby. The two young animals play together and become good friends. But one day Toby is taken into the woods and is trained by his master to be a fox hunter. When Toby returns as a grown dog there develops problems in their friendship because Toby is now a hunter. However, when Toby and his master encounter a bear and are in grave danger, it is Tod that comes to the rescue of his old friend.

With and assist from Google . . . (please feel free to correct my Spanish)

Esta película es sobre la amistad entre dos animales jóvenes, Tod un zorro y Toby un perro. La madre de Tod's es matar y Tod se deja huérfanos. La viuda Tweed lo encuentra y lo cuida. Su vecino, Amos, es un cazador y trae a casa un cachorro, Toby. Los dos animales jóvenes jugar juntos y ser buenos amigos. Pero un día, Toby se ha considerado en el bosque es entrenado por su amo para ser un cazador de zorro. Cuando Toby regresa como un perro se desarrolla crecido los problemas de su amistad porque Toby es ahora un cazador. Sin embargo, cuando Toby y su amo se encontran con un oso y se encuentran en grave peligro, es Tod que viene al rescate de su viejo amigo.

 

¡Hola, Nadine!

 

I'll give it a try.  I can't guarantee that I'll catch everything, though!  Great attempt!

 

Let's see...

 

La madre de Tod's es matar y Tod se deja huérfanos.

 

In Spanish, you would not use the possessive "'s" at all.  "La madre de Tod" is "Tod's mother".  One of the confusing things about Spanish is that there are two verbs for "to be", ser and estar.  I'm sure the course will explain when to use each one.  In this case, it should be "está matado".  "matar" is the infinitive "to kill"; "matado", "killed".  I can't think of the exact term for the verb tense, or is it just an adverb?  Although "dejar" does mean "to leave", in this case the proper verb would be "quedar", and it should be "Tod se queda huérfano" (you also used a plural there).

 

Los dos animales jóvenes jugar juntos y ser buenos amigos.

 

Again, just a matter of verb tenses.  You have used the infinitives "jugar" and "ser"; they should be "juegan" and "son".  (Yeah, in this case it is "ser" instead of "estar"!)

 

...Toby se ha considerado en el bosque es entrenado por su amo...

 

I'm not sure how you got to "se ha considerado" which means, more or less, "has considered himself".  I think you probably meant something like "está traído al bosque y está entrenado".  "to the woods" is more appropriate than "in the woods".  And, yes, in reply to your earlier post, "amo" was the right choice!

 

Cuando Toby regresa como un perro se desarrolla crecido los problemas de su amistad porque Toby es ahora un cazador.

 

I understand that you were expressing that Toby was now a "dog" as opposed to a "puppy", but in general, "perro" could be used for a dog of any age, so you might want to add an adjective, like "perro maduro" ("mature").  The next phrase seems a bit awkward even in your original English; I would change it to something like "se desarrollan problemas con su amistad".  "problemas" is the subject here, and is plural, so the verb form must match that.  I'm not sure how to be specific as to why, but "ya es cazador" would be how most Spaniards would say the last bit; in any case, they don't use as many articles as we do, so "un" would be left out, as would "los" earlier ("los problemas").

 

Sin embargo, cuando Toby y su amo se encontran con un oso y se encuentran en grave peligro, es Tod que viene al rescate de su viejo amigo.


This might have been a typo, because you do have "encuentran" a few words later, and "encontran" should be the same.  Actually, rather than repeating it, I might say something like "se encuentran con un oso y en grave peligro".

 

I think you did a great job!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Spanish Movies

Muchas gracias, Duquesa de Fantasia. This is great! Your comments are very appreciated and worth studying. I'm going to know a lot of Spanish before the class even begins.

 

 

dulcinea3 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

The Fox and the Hound
El Zorro y el Perro Cazador

This movie is about the friendship between two young animals, a fox, Tod and a dog, Toby. Tod's mother is killed and Tod is left orphaned. The Widow Tweed finds him and takes care of him. Her neighbor, Amos, is a hunter and brings home a puppy, Toby. The two young animals play together and become good friends. But one day Toby is taken into the woods and is trained by his master to be a fox hunter. When Toby returns as a grown dog there develops problems in their friendship because Toby is now a hunter. However, when Toby and his master encounter a bear and are in grave danger, it is Tod that comes to the rescue of his old friend.

With and assist from Google . . . (please feel free to correct my Spanish)

Esta película es sobre la amistad entre dos animales jóvenes, Tod un zorro y Toby un perro. La madre de Tod's es matar y Tod se deja huérfanos. La viuda Tweed lo encuentra y lo cuida. Su vecino, Amos, es un cazador y trae a casa un cachorro, Toby. Los dos animales jóvenes jugar juntos y ser buenos amigos. Pero un día, Toby se ha considerado en el bosque es entrenado por su amo para ser un cazador de zorro. Cuando Toby regresa como un perro se desarrolla crecido los problemas de su amistad porque Toby es ahora un cazador. Sin embargo, cuando Toby y su amo se encontran con un oso y se encuentran en grave peligro, es Tod que viene al rescate de su viejo amigo.

 

¡Hola, Nadine!

 

I'll give it a try.  I can't guarantee that I'll catch everything, though!  Great attempt!

 

Let's see...

 

La madre de Tod's es matar y Tod se deja huérfanos.

 

In Spanish, you would not use the possessive "'s" at all.  "La madre de Tod" is "Tod's mother".  One of the confusing things about Spanish is that there are two verbs for "to be", ser and estar.  I'm sure the course will explain when to use each one.  In this case, it should be "está matado".  "matar" is the infinitive "to kill"; "matado", "killed".  I can't think of the exact term for the verb tense, or is it just an adverb?  Although "dejar" does mean "to leave", in this case the proper verb would be "quedar", and it should be "Tod se queda huérfano" (you also used a plural there).

 

Los dos animales jóvenes jugar juntos y ser buenos amigos.

 

Again, just a matter of verb tenses.  You have used the infinitives "jugar" and "ser"; they should be "juegan" and "son".  (Yeah, in this case it is "ser" instead of "estar"!)

 

...Toby se ha considerado en el bosque es entrenado por su amo...

 

I'm not sure how you got to "se ha considerado" which means, more or less, "has considered himself".  I think you probably meant something like "está traído al bosque y está entrenado".  "to the woods" is more appropriate than "in the woods".  And, yes, in reply to your earlier post, "amo" was the right choice!

 

Cuando Toby regresa como un perro se desarrolla crecido los problemas de su amistad porque Toby es ahora un cazador.

 

I understand that you were expressing that Toby was now a "dog" as opposed to a "puppy", but in general, "perro" could be used for a dog of any age, so you might want to add an adjective, like "perro maduro" ("mature").  The next phrase seems a bit awkward even in your original English; I would change it to something like "se desarrollan problemas con su amistad".  "problemas" is the subject here, and is plural, so the verb form must match that.  I'm not sure how to be specific as to why, but "ya es cazador" would be how most Spaniards would say the last bit; in any case, they don't use as many articles as we do, so "un" would be left out, as would "los" earlier ("los problemas").

 

Sin embargo, cuando Toby y su amo se encontran con un oso y se encuentran en grave peligro, es Tod que viene al rescate de su viejo amigo.


This might have been a typo, because you do have "encuentran" a few words later, and "encontran" should be the same.  Actually, rather than repeating it, I might say something like "se encuentran con un oso y en grave peligro".

 

I think you did a great job!

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

I'm already thinking ahead to Behind the Wheel Spanish 2! Hey, I intend to fast track this learning process! I've been looking at it and it seems like it might be complimentary in some ways to #1 especially if you already have some Spanish background. In fact, looking at the introductions here, most people have several years of high school or college Spanish so I thought some of you might be interested in #2 as well. After all we will have the developer of the program here in July so we should be able to ask questions at all three levels of Behind the Wheel.

 

What interested me about #2 was that it seems like a good tool for listening comprehension. I think you can communicate and get by with relatively simple Spanish but understanding what is being said to you is very important, not very easy and not really taught that much. That is why I'm watching these movies. I listened to an excerpt from #2 and you are given a simple story that is first broken down for you sentence by sentence and then the native speakers tells you the story through. I thought that was a brilliant idea. I can first drill on the English-Spanish narrative to get the meaning of the words and how they sound. And then listen to the second part, the dialog until I can understand it. The description of the book suggests constructing your own dialog based on the story, which we can do here.

 

Here is the description of the product from the B&N site:

 

From the Publisher

Now that you know the basics of Spanish, put your knowledge into practice with the unique stories and dialogue lessons offered in Spanish Level 2. Read a story about a couple in a restaurant and then practice ordering yourself a campechano, maybe a cerveza (o dos!) while you’re at it. Or read a dialogue set in a store and then form your own questions, like asking how much something costs. Diez dólares? Quince dólares? Behind the Wheel Spanish Level 2 first reviews vocabulary and basic concepts from Spanish Level 1 and then expands on these areas, focusing on medium length sentence combinations, versatile vocabulary, and extensive sentence building instruction to improve conversational skill and listening comprehension. Spanish Level 2 features both English and native Spanish speaking instructors.

This program includes a companion book to reinforce and enhance the audio experience.

 

You can listen to a five-minute audtio portion here

 

In fact you can download an mp3 version and actually work on this segment.

 

And here are some sample pages from the book..

 

I already ordered it and should have it soon.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Spanish Movies

The Princess Bride

Princesa Prometida

 

I didn't get my Eight-Below from Netflix yet so I didn't get a chance to watch it. But I also have Princess Bride in my que.

 

So here is an excerpt from Princess Bride in Spanish for you to test drive.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 695 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: