Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Kristin_Z
0 Kudos

Community Room

Que pasa?

Que estas leyendo? (What are you reading?)

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

I have tried to read C.S. Lewis'  El León, la Bruja y el Ropero but not with a lot of sucess. I also got the CD which is the same translation as the book (an of course the book in English for when I'm desperate!), and the DVD which is dubbed in Spanish.

The package seemed like a good idea.

El león, la bruja y el ropero (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)

El Leon, La Bruja y El Ropero [With Earbuds]

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Nadine
0 Kudos

I also found this handy vocabulary list for the first chapter of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Maybe by the end of this course I will be able to actually read the first chapter! :smileywink: I must have all the tools I need!

New User
chabuca
0 Kudos

Hola,

Estoy muy bien, gracias. En este momento estoy leyendo Reading Lolita en Teheran y me encanta el estilo de la escritora. Acabe de leer The Prince of Mist de Carlos Luis Zafon y a pesar de que es un libro para ninios lo encontre interesante y de suspenso. Me encantan sus libros, el mejor que he leido es La Sombra del Viento, buenisimo. Tambien estoy leyendo The Open Veins of Latin America de Eduardo Galeano y 2666 de Roberto Bolano. Me gusta mucho leer pero me toma tiempo por que siempre estoy ocupada. No he terminado Don Quijote de Cervantes Saavedra pero alli voy lentamente y planeo leer nuevamente 100 Anios de Soledad de Grabriel Garcia Marquez, en Castellano (cuando tenga tiempo) para recordar de cuando lo lei en 1973 -1974. Me encanta tambien Arturo Perez Reverte. Y a ti, que te gusta leer?

Saludos.

Nadine
0 Kudos

chabuca wrote:

Hola,

Estoy muy bien, gracias. En este momento estoy leyendo Reading Lolita en Teheran y me encanta el estilo de la escritora. Acabe de leer The Prince of Mist de Carlos Luis Zafon y a pesar de que es un libro para ninios lo encontre interesante y de suspenso. Me encantan sus libros, el mejor que he leido es La Sombra del Viento, buenisimo. Tambien estoy leyendo The Open Veins of Latin America de Eduardo Galeano y 2666 de Roberto Bolano. Me gusta mucho leer pero me toma tiempo por que siempre estoy ocupada. No he terminado Don Quijote de Cervantes Saavedra pero alli voy lentamente y planeo leer nuevamente 100 Anios de Soledad de Grabriel Garcia Marquez, en Castellano (cuando tenga tiempo) para recordar de cuando lo lei en 1973 -1974. Me encanta tambien Arturo Perez Reverte. Y a ti, que te gusta leer?

Saludos.

Wow, I'm impressed by your reading list and Spanish capabilities! Way above my head. But the Internet has resources.

---------------------------------------

Courtesy of Google Translation: (Keep this link handy.)

Hello,

I'm fine, thanks. Right now I'm reading Reading Lolita in Tehran and I love the style of the writer. Finish reading The Prince of Mist of Carlos Luis Zafon and although it is a book for vernier I found interesting and suspenseful. I love his books, the best I've read is The Shadow of the Wind, buenisimo. I am also reading The Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo Galeano and Roberto Bolano 2666. I love to read but that takes time I'm always busy. I have not finished Don Quixote de Cervantes Saavedra, but there I plan to read again slowly and from 100 years of Solitude by Gabriela Garcia Marquez, in Castilian (when I have time) to remember when I read in 1973 -1974. I also love Arturo Perez Reverte. And you, you like reading?

-------------------------------------------------

Google Translator is not bad for a machine!

I want to add some of these to my list---someday.  I've only read 100 Years of Solitude -- but in English!

They are reading Don Quixote in Spanish over at Audiria but it is mainly Level 4 stuff and I'm still at level zero. It is a l-o-n-g load since it looks like they have been reading it in small segments for several years. You can listen to it in Spanish as well and it is European spanish.

I love the Internet!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In English for now <grin>,  I just finished this excellent book

The Map of True Places 

and am now reading these two:

Storm Warning  

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Series #1)  

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
New User
smiley41
0 Kudos

Hola, I haven't found a book yet in spanish but I'm looking for a "kid" book for beginners, i'm taking spanish because I've always wanted to learn a second language, and I love the spanish soap opera(telenovela?) I know I will enjoy it. thanks.

New User
doobtones
0 Kudos

Watching telenovelas (soaps) is an excellent way to expand your vocabulary and become accustomed to hearing the spoken language.  I turn on the closed captioning to discover new words and to make sure I understand what is going on. 

Ahora mismo no estoy leyendo nada, pero me gustaria leer algunos libros en espanol muy pronto! (Right now I'm not reading anything, but I would like to read some books in Spanish very soon!)

Reader
tuckerle
0 Kudos

i'm reading:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Bitter is the New Black

on my nook  :smileyhappy:

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

Soy leyendo Night World vol1 (Not sure that is correct). I am reading Night World vol1 and so far I am feeling a little disappointed with it. I have two book in Spanish. I am not sure what Cien anos de soledad by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is about. The other book is called EL CLUB DUMAS. My best friend thought she was getting the English version and ended up wth the Spanish version. She sent the book to my husband and because he is not much of a reader the book has been sitting on my bookshelf. I would like to read this book and talk to her about it.

Nadine
0 Kudos

HBT wrote:

Soy leyendo Night World vol1 (Not sure that is correct). I am reading Night World vol1 and so far I am feeling a little disappointed with it. I have two book in Spanish. I am not sure what Cien anos de soledad by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is about. The other book is called EL CLUB DUMAS. My best friend thought she was getting the English version and ended up wth the Spanish version. She sent the book to my husband and because he is not much of a reader the book has been sitting on my bookshelf. I would like to read this book and talk to her about it.

You people have great taste in books! HBT, Chabuca who posted above, has also read these books:

------------------

Chabuca wrote:

planeo leer nuevamente 100 Anios de Soledad de Grabriel Garcia Marquez, en Castellano (cuando tenga tiempo) para recordar de cuando lo lei en 1973 -1974. Me encanta tambien Arturo Perez Reverte. Y a ti, que te gusta leer?

-----------------

Though I would love to read these (and hope to sometime soon) they are way above my capabilities. Right now my short list of possible Spanish reads consists of:

La telaraña de Charlota

Winny de Puh

Charlie y la fábrica de chocolate

El Principito

El León, la Bruja y el Ropero

Is anyone else at my level? Since we have more than five weeks before this class starts, maybe we could read a book together.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Kristin_Z wrote:

Que pasa?

Que estas leyendo? (What are you reading?)

I don't know if I am doing this right, I'm only copying Kistin above. So any of you more advanced people please feel free to correct me.

¿Que estas mirando? (What are you watching?)

I'm ordering a bunch of movies from Netflix either originally in Spanish or Spanish dubbed. This way I can get used to hearing Spanish and they usually have subtitles. Any suggestions on REALLY easy ones?

Doña Nadine

Reader
kristinmcd
0 Kudos

In almost all DVD's, there is a Spanish soundtrack and Spanish subtitles. Just go the the set up menu and you can change it.

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Nadine: How courageous of you to read in Spanish!  Good luck with the reading! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

WOW!  I'm so impressed with how everyone is doing something Spanish...I guess I'm behind the eight ball!:smileywink:  I won't start until the class begins as I'm in the middle of two summer classes for college that both end on July 14th.  however, I'm now reading: 

The 9th Judgment (Women's Murder Club Series #9) 

and Eat, Pray, Love  

Anna Louise

Contributor
Turner_A
0 Kudos

Estoy terminando la derecha Expiación ahora. Tal vez cuando el curso se va seré lo suficientemente valiente como para leer un libro en español.

Google Translator is great! :smileyvery-happy:

Nadine
0 Kudos

Anna_Louise wrote:

Nadine: How courageous of you to read in Spanish!  Good luck with the reading! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Thanks for the encouragement, Anna Louise. I don't expect to get too far. This is a perfect case of "my eyes being bigger than my stomach". But I'll be thrilled if I get through the first chapter of anything, though the process might be quite tedious.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Turner_A wrote:

Estoy terminando la derecha Expiación ahora. Tal vez cuando el curso se va seré lo suficientemente valiente como para leer un libro en español.

Google Translator is great! :smileyvery-happy:

Did you put English in the translator to get the Spanish? What a clever idea. Hey I'll be speaking Spanish in no time!

Of course it is a little like playing "telephone" so I put your Spanish back in the translator:

Atonement I am finishing right now. Perhaps when the course I will be brave enough to read a book in Spanish.

I can understand what you said. This is fun

dulcinea3

[ Edited ]

From what I'm seeing, those translators are helpful, but far from perfect.  I don't understand the inclusion of the word 'derecha' in the first sentence.  Did you put in that you were reading it on the right?  'Derecha' usually means 'right' as opposed to 'left'.  Or another use of 'derecha' is similar to English - it can be a 'right', something you are entitled to, as in the Bill of Rights.  And 'el curso se va' seems to be implying the course is going to physically leave or depart.  I'm impressed by the 'como para leer' usage, though!

Nadine, since you asked (I'm a bit afraid of coming off as pedantic if I correct anything, but  didn't mind when it was an electronic translator!) -

¿Que estas mirando?

You're just missing some accents (as was Kristin earlier).  'Que' means 'that' (not like in 'that one', but like in 'the book that I read'); 'qué' means 'what'.  Also, 'estas' means 'these' (feminine); 'estás' means 'you are' (in this case, because it is a question, that gets reversed to 'are you').  So, it should be -

¿Qué estás mirando?

as it should have been

¿Qué estás leyendo?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Nadine
0 Kudos

dulcinea wrote:

Nadine, since you asked (I'm a bit afraid of coming off as pedantic if I correct anything, but  didn't mind when it was an electronic translator!) -

--------------------------------------------

Not at all! I'm very appreciative that you would take the time to help us beginners. If I don't at least try, I'm not going to learn. If I do it wrong and don't know what I did, I am just learning it all wrong and it will be hard to change later on.

I know I'm excited about getting back into Spanish and I'm eager to get going. I think it might be fun and educational to play around a bit with Spanish before the class starts. We are not going to have a teacher here for six weeks so we are kind of dependent on the more advance people to help us along.

Hmm. I tend to talk a lot. Probably the best way to shut me up would be if I only wrote in Spanish! :smileywink:

-------------------------------------

¿Que estas mirando?

You're just missing some accents (as was Kristin earlier).  'Que' means 'that' (not like in 'that one', but like in 'the book that I read'); 'qué' means 'what'.  Also, 'estas' means 'these' (feminine); 'estás' means 'you are' (in this case, because it is a question, that gets reversed to 'are you').  So, it should be -

¿Qué estás mirando?

as it should have been

¿Qué estás leyendo?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 243 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: