Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Mark Frobose/New Lessons

Queridos Alumnos = Dear Students,

Here are some lessons that I gleaned from answering your questions.

fui a una orientación (fem.)

Las lecciones - feminine plural

español e inglés (e takes the place of y before a vowel or vowel sound)

You would also say 'Fernando e Isabel' but 'Isabel y Fernando'.  Get it guys?

Las lecciones duran dos horas = The lessons last two hours

Now ... on to your 'preguntas'

1. You are correct in stating that the best translation for 'excited' is emocionado(a).  'Exitado(a)' does have a sexual connotation.  

Sensitive in Spanish is 'sensible'. 

'por' means 'for' or 'because of' something or someone

Por tí = Because of you  'Por tí estoy aquí'  Because of you, I'm here.  This can be either positive or negative, depending upon the context.

Para - For or in order to.  "Para aprender bien hay que estudiar'.  In order to learn well, it's necessary to study. 

There have been books written on the differences between the two, but this gives you the gist of it I hope.

Hasta Pronto,

Mark Frobose

www.frobose.com

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Mark Frobose/New Lessons

Mark, isn't the 'e' instead of 'y' used for 'and' only in front of a word beginning with 'i'?  (or a similar sound; maybe there are words beginning with 'y' as a vowel, although I can't think of any off the top of my head).  For example, you would say 'querer y amar', not 'querer e amar'.  In other words, only if the following word starts with the same sound as 'y' would have, so you change to 'e' so that it is distinguishable.  Or is this something that is different in South America as opposed to Spain, so that you would say 'querer e amar'? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Re: Mark Frobose/New Lessons

Yes.  Correct.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 288 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: