Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

SOUNDING MORE NATIVE WITH 'TAGS' from MARK FROBOSE

Saludos a Todos Mis Alumnos,  = Greetings to all of my students

¿Cómo les ha ido?  = How have you you all been??

It's nice to hear back from all of you.

I thought you might like a few tips on sounding 'more native' though the use of tags.

Here goes .......

Tags are a great way to enhance your communicative ability in Spanish.

What is a 'tag'??

It's something you attach to the end of your sentences.

Here are a few suggestions:

¿Verdad? = Right?

¿No es cierto? = Isn't that correct?

¿Qué opina usted?  = What's your opinion?

¿Cómo la ve? = How do you see it? (colloquial Mexico)

¿No cree? = Don't you think? (believe?)

¿No? = Right?  Correct?  Alright?

Try these out today and see the magic they work on making you sound 'more native'.

Yours in language learning,

Mark Frobose

Contributor
mollz20
0 Kudos

Re: SOUNDING MORE NATIVE WITH 'TAGS' from MARK FROBOSE

Bien gracias. Y tu? Thank you for this lesson, I have copying down these phrases and practicing them at work as well.

Buenas noches,

Molly

Contributor
peg_loves_books

Re: SOUNDING MORE NATIVE WITH 'TAGS' from MARK FROBOSE

I have a couple questions after listening to the 1st CD:

1. why do you say 'dar un paseo' and not 'tomar que caminar' (to take a walk)

2. Why do you say 'sacar buenas notas'  instead of 'conseguir buenas notas' (get good grades).

gracias,

peggy

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Mark's Response/Re: SOUNDING MORE NATIVE WITH 'TAGS' from MARK FROBOSE

Hola Peg,

Thank you for your questions!!  - Gracias por tus preguntas

Here are the answers - Aquí están las respuestas

1. 'Dar un paseo' is an idiom.  It literally means 'to give a stroll' but the actual meaning is

'to take a walk'.

Please note:  You would never say 'tomar que caminar'.  Incorrect.

Simply say 'caminar'.  Voy a caminar.  I'm going to walk.

2. Sacar buenas notas is also an idiiom. In the whole it means to get good grades.  One cannot translate idioms word-for-word.

For example ....  Imagine you are teaching a Spanish speaker how to speak English.  The student asks you what 'I'd just as soon' means.  You try to explain that is has nothing to do with the word 'soon', or 'just'.  Together the meaning of 'just as soon' is 'prefer'.

I'd just as soon go to the store = I'd rather go to the store

The same rule applies to Spanish.  Idioms cannot be translated word for word, but must instead but seen as having an entirely new meaning when these seemingly disparate words are used together.

I hope this helps.

Happy language learning.

Mark Frobose

P.S. The verb  'Sacar' is very versatile and can mean everything from 'sacar la basura' to take out the garbage to 'sacar la pelota' for 'to serve the ball' while playing volleyball.  Interesting, ¿Verdad?

Contributor
peg_loves_books

Re: Mark's Response/Re: SOUNDING MORE NATIVE WITH 'TAGS' from MARK FROBOSE

Muchas gracias, Marco.

Si, tus respuesta estan muy interesante. Yo entiendo ahora!

You can tell I am working with the cd's & the book. I really appreciate them both and your personal help to our (todos alumnos) preguntas.

peggy

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

I Appreciate Your Questions - I'm Here to Serve You - Mark Frobose

Hola Peg,

El gusto es mío - The pleasure is mine

I'm happy to serve and to help.  It's in giving that we receive.  I get more happiness that way too.

Please keep the questions coming.

¡Qué me hagan más preguntas! - May you all ask me more questions.

Abrazos,

Mark

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 748 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: