Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
tuckerle
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I'm really looking forward to this opportunity.  I just returned from a vacation in mexico and it made me miss learning and speaking spanish.  i was just considering buying spanish study materials on my nook and saw this on twitter! 

New User
Christine36
0 Kudos

Hello, I took Spanish in high school and, again, last year at Berlitz.  Problem is I don't get very many opportunities to practice it.  That's why I'm excited to join this group.  I just registerd for the free Behind the Wheel program.  That is, I think I've registered because the instructions say it may take up to a week to receive a confirmation.  How does this work?  Do we just start writing in Spanish?  Well, here it goes:  Esta dia es Miercoles y voy a ver televison esta noche.

Do we have access to accent marks when we write in Spanish?  Well, I hope to be conversing/writing in Spanish to all of you. Su amiga.

New User
Huma27
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Huma. I have been wanting to learn Spanish for years. I'm looking forward to beginning my education in Spanish. Thanks B&N!

Contributor
peg_loves_books
0 Kudos

Hi, My name is Peggy. I know a little spanish but need a "boost" to keep learning more. My son lives in Honduras and is married to a Honduran girl & they have a son. I want to learn more spanish so I can talk with 'mi nuera y nieto'.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

[ Edited ]

Cristine Wrote

Do we have access to accent marks when we write in Spanish?

=========================

I found this on the Internet. I don't know if my cut and paste will post correctly. If not I'll try again. Use the ALT key on you keyboard and the numeric keypad on the right of your keyboard with the NUM locked. Hold the ALT key down while you type in the numbers below. When you release the ALT you should have your accented letter. I'm sure there is an easier way but this should do for this forum. I would print a copy of the codes and keep it next to your keyboard.
================================

á........ 160

é........ 130

í........ 161

ó....... 162

ú....... 163

Á......0193

É....... 144

Í...... 0205

Ó..... 0211

Ú..... 0218

ñ....... 164

Ñ....... 165

¿........ 168

¡........ 173

Reader 4
alphabetartist
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am really looking forward to this course.  I took Spanish (many moons ago!) in high school, and I definitely need to brush up!  This is a wonderful idea!

I am married, 40-ish, live in the midwest, am an avid reader, an online freelance writer (articles, SEO, etc.), and have recently returned to college to finish my Master's degree in social work. 

~Angela

New User
scottishpeace
0 Kudos

Very disappointed that class was closed before I could enroll. Please see my posted note in other area.

Patricia Chambers

Reader
wishfulauthor
0 Kudos

Hi.  My name is Carolyn and I am a senior at Boise State University studying English with an emphasis on writing.  I took Spanish I and II many years ago in high school and live in an area where English is almost considered a second language.  Brushing up on my Spanish is a dream come true for me and I am so excited to begin. 

Contributor
dz74
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Denise and I have taken several Spanish courses.  I can converse a little and understand a little.  My husband is from Mexico and is very fluent in English so I don't get to use it much.  I am hoping to take this course to refresh myself for when I go to visit his family.

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Linda. I just got my confirmation so I'm excited to be participating. I took two Spanish courses in college (back in the 80's) so it's been a long time. My son will be starting high school Spanish next year so hopefully I can help him a little. I also work in the public school system in Southern California so knowing some Spanish would be very helpful.

Reader 2
janeise
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Kristi. I am really excited to start learning Spanish for when I travel. My neighbors are also Spanish speaking so I am looking forward to having a conversation with them in their native language.

dulcinea3

[ Edited ]
Nadine wrote:

Cristine Wrote

I found this on the Internet. I don't know if my cut and paste will post correctly. If not I'll try again. Use the ALT key on you keyboard and the numeric keypad on the right of your keyboard with the NUM locked. Hold the ALT key down while you type in the numbers below. When you release the ALT you should have your accented letter. I'm sure there is an easier way but this should do for this forum. I would print a copy of the codes and keep it next to your keyboard.

á........ 160

é........ 130

í........ 161

ó....... 162

ú....... 163

Á......0193

É....... 144

Í...... 0205

Ó..... 0211

Ú..... 0218

ñ....... 164

Ñ....... 165

¿........ 168

¡........ 173

I also found this site, that explains several ways to do the accents:

http://spanish.about.com/od/writtenspanish/a/typingaccents.htm

I have a .txt file at home that has all the possible symbols that are not on the keyboard, but I don't have it here.  It also has the numeric combinations, like the ones Nadine posted above.  But do you what I find to be the easiest way?  Just copy and paste that list into a file, and then when you need to use one, just open the file and copy/paste what you need (the symbol itself, not the code)!  No need to memorize codes!

I tried one of the ones in Nadine's list, and got a totally different symbol than I expected.  I tried one from that article I posted (it's on the second page), and that worked, so I'm also posting the list from that article: (note - I found out what I did wrong: Nadine's list requires the Num Lock to be on, and the list below does not)

• á — 0225
  • Á — 0193
  • é — 0233
  • É — 0201
  • í — 0237
  • Í — 0205
  • ñ — 0241
  • Ñ — 0209
  • ó — 0243
  • Ó — 0211
  • ú — 0250
  • Ú — 0218
  • ü — 0252
  • Ü — 0220
  • ¿ — 0191
  • ¡ — 0161
  • « — 0171
  • » — 0187
  • — — 0151

If you're going to do it that way, remember that you need to use the numeric keypad, not the row of numbers at the top of the regular keyboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Nadine
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Cristine Wrote

á........ 160

é........ 130

í........ 161

ó....... 162

ú....... 163

Á......0193

É....... 144

Í...... 0205

Ó..... 0211

Ú..... 0218

ñ....... 164

Ñ....... 165

¿........ 168

¡........ 173

I also found this site, that explains several ways to do the accents:

http://spanish.about.com/od/writtenspanish/a/typingaccents.htm

I have a .txt file at home that has all the possible symbols that are not on the keyboard, but I don't have it here.  It also has the numeric combinations, like the ones Nadine posted above.  But do you what I find to be the easiest way?  Just copy and paste that list into a file, and then when you need to use one, just open the file and copy/paste what you need (the symbol itself, not the code)!  No need to memorize codes!

I tried one of the ones in Nadine's list, and got a totally different symbol than I expected.  I tried one from that article I posted (it's on the second page), and that worked, so I'm also posting the list from that article: (note - I found out what I did wrong: Nadine's list requires the Num Lock to be on, and the list below does not)

• á — 0225
  • Á — 0193
  • é — 0233
  • É — 0201
  • í — 0237
  • Í — 0205
  • ñ — 0241
  • Ñ — 0209
  • ó — 0243
  • Ó — 0211
  • ú — 0250
  • Ú — 0218
  • ü — 0252
  • Ü — 0220
  • ¿ — 0191
  • ¡ — 0161
  • « — 0171
  • » — 0187
  • — — 0151

If you're going to do it that way, remember that you need to use the numeric keypad, not the row of numbers at the top of the regular keyboard.

Gracias Duchess! I keep forgetting to lock in that NUM key.

Doña Nadine

Reader 4
fit4life21
0 Kudos

Hello friends!  I hope this finds all of you happy, healthy, and well!!

My name is Stacy and I am a healthcare professional in California.  I've taken a few 'Spanish for Medical Professionals' courses and can 'get by' with my patients....in more of an entertaining-type-of-fashion!  LOL!  :smileywink:

I am also a new mom and my husband and I are teaching our daughter 'baby sign language' --- which is a lot of fun for the whole family!  We also want to teach her Spanish; and since babies/toddlers/kids learn languages sooooo much faster than adults we want to capitalize on her learning curve!  =)

I am looking forward to starting the class with all of you and becoming more fluent in Spanish! 

Keep smiling!  Cheers!

~ Stacy ~  :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

Hola!  (Sorry couldn't find the upside down !)  Me amo Michelle!  Muy bein? That's about all I can remember at this point.  I am 23 but will be 24 by the time we start this lesson!  I am currently working on my masters in Criminal Justice.  I graduated last May with bachelors in criminal justice and two years before that with my associates in law enforcement.  I took two years of spanish in high school 2003 and 2004, as well as a semester in college which was fall of 2006 if I remember correctly.  I remember a little bit of spanish.  My high school teacher has this funny song about how to pronounce the different letters in spanish so I remember that a bit and I remember congating verbs.  (For some reason the verb ir which means to go is permantly stuck in my head.  Voy, Vas, Va, Vamos, Van!)  

But anywho,  I currently work full time in a financial instutition while work on my degree.  I enjoy taking vacations.  My husband and I belong to a vacation club and we enjoy our time away.  I love to read.  I've had my nook for not quiet six months.  I read a lot of law and criminal books.  (Who would have guessed it!)  I enjoy spending time with friends and family.  I don't have any children but I treat my god daughter and her sister (who is what I consider my "half god daughter". She has another god mother but the odds of her god mother being able to take care of her are slim.)  So that's me in a nutshell. 

I want to learn more about spanish for three reasons.  The first is that I find other languages interesting.  The second is that it would be beneficial for my degree in criminal justice and lastly and most importantly, my husband and I have a child in El Salvador that we sponser named Belen.  I would love to be able to write her a letter in Spanish or be able to communicate with her one, if I ever get the chance to meet her. 

I look forward to speaking some Espanol with you all!!

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Reader
mpakpg
0 Kudos

Hello there! I am Paige and excited about learning spanish.  Been with my hispanic husband for 18 years and can't seem to learn.  I think he just doesn't know how to teach :smileywink:

Look forward to when class starts

Contributor
mollz20
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Molly and I am a secretary at collection agency. We have many Spanish-speaking people come into our office and I would like to learn the basics to speaking their language. I am an avid reader and I enjoy the outdoors. I look forward to learning Spanish!

Reader
kristinmcd
0 Kudos

Another Kristin here! I am excited about this opportunity to refresh my Spanish. I am in the Atlanta area, but am originally from Texas.

Gracias!

Contributor
Turner_A
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Amanda. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school but really don't remember much. I can't wait to learn Spanish!

Reader 4
AprilRN
0 Kudos

Hola!  My name is April and I am a RN in Florida.  I am excited that I was confirmed for this class.  I am currently on a break from obtaining my BSN at University of Phoenix online.  I live in central Florida with my husband, my 24 year old son, my 17 year old daughter, and my four-legged furkid, Caesar the Mighty Min Pin.  In my spare time I like to go to the beach, read, hang out by my pool, scrapbook, and go on cruises with my family and friends.  

I am looking forward to expanding the very small amount of Spanish that I know so I can better communicate with patients and families.  I will also be taking Spanish online for my BSN since foreign language is a requirement for a Bachelor's degree.  Unfortunately, foreign language wasn't required in high school many years ago so I am a little behind the eight ball.  

Looking forward to learning and growing with everyone!

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881)