Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I didn't know it was public..Thanks for the information..SusanVtc

Nadine wrote:

sissy1961 wrote:

Hi, would you please tell me where to go to subscribe to or join this book club

You just have to visit the board and join in. This is a public board. You might want to buy the text for the class, though. B&N used unfortunate wording when they said "Enrollement is Closed" when what they really meant was that they had given away all the free copes of the product. See the posting from Administration below:

Behind the Wheel Express - Spanish 1

Administrator
Paul_Hochman
Re: How to Enroll--Sorry, Enrollment is Now Closed. 

Nadine wrote:

I have received my confirmation so I imagine those that made it will  know soon.

Kristin, for those that did not make the enrollment quota, can they purchase the product and still participate in the class?

They sure can. The board will be public.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Hola/Soy igual/Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hola Candace,

I'm the same.  (Soy igual)

I'm a language addict. (Soy adicto de los idiomas)

Let's learn Spanish together!  ¡Apredamos español juntos!

Mark

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Manos a la Obra/Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hola everyone,

The class officially has begun.  Manos a la obra.  Let's get to work.

Any questions?  ¿Preguntas?

Mark Frobose

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Hola everyone,

Mark Frobose

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

¿Preguntas?Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hola everyone,

Mark Frobose

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Hola Peggy,

Hola everyone,

Mark Frobose

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Accents/Re: Welcome and Introductions

Good question!  ¡Buena pregunta!

I confess (Confieso) that I use a Mac which has the accents available.

Does anyone know how to best access accents on Word?

Mark

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Hola Angela/Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hola Angela,

I look forward to having you on board.

Adelante.  Onward.

Mark

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Hello Carolyn/Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hola Carolyn,

Bienvenida a la clase.  Welcome to the class.

Mark

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Bienvenida/Re: Welcome and Introductions

Of course.

Welcome.  Bienvenida.

No dude en hacerme preguntas.  (Don't hesitate to ask me questions)

Mark

Author
Mark_Frobose
0 Kudos

Hola /Re: Welcome and Introductions

Yo también tengo una hija - I also have a daughter

Pero la mía (but mine) ya tiene trece años (is already thirteen years old).

Como pasa el tiempo = How time flies

Mark

Contributor
SueWho
0 Kudos

Re: Accents/Re: Welcome and Introductions

Mark, on page 3 of the Welcome and Introductions thread, participant Nadine posted a response to this question.   Her response was as follows:

===============================

I found this on the Internet. I don't know if my cut and paste will post correctly. If not I'll try again. Use the ALT key on you keyboard and the numeric keypad on the right of your keyboard with the NUM locked. Hold the ALT key down while you type in the numbers below. When you release the ALT you should have your accented letter. I'm sure there is an easier way but this should do for this forum. I would print a copy of the codes and keep it next to your keyboard.
================================

á........ 160

é........ 130

í........ 161

ó....... 162

ú....... 163

Á......0193

É....... 144

Í...... 0205

Ó..... 0211

Ú..... 0218

ñ....... 164

Ñ....... 165

¿........ 168

¡........ 173

===============================================

I have tried this myself in some other posts and have found that it works well.

So says SueWho, another obsessive-compulsive bibliophile
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

Mark_Frobose wrote:

Good question!  ¡Buena pregunta!

I confess (Confieso) that I use a Mac which has the accents available.

Does anyone know how to best access accents on Word?

Mark

About 70 postings ago dulcinea and I posted a keyboard method that uses ascii codes. Dulcinea is better:

--------------------------------------------------

Dulcinea Wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Cristine Wrote

Do we have access to accent marks when we write in Spanish?

=========================

I found this on the Internet. I don't know if my cut and paste will post correctly. If not I'll try again. Use the ALT key on you keyboard and the numeric keypad on the right of your keyboard with the NUM locked. Hold the ALT key down while you type in the numbers below. When you release the ALT you should have your accented letter. I'm sure there is an easier way but this should do for this forum. I would print a copy of the codes and keep it next to your keyboard.
================================

á........ 160

é........ 130

í........ 161

ó....... 162

ú....... 163

Á......0193

É....... 144

Í...... 0205

Ó..... 0211

Ú..... 0218

ñ....... 164

Ñ....... 165

¿........ 168

¡........ 173

I also found this site, that explains several ways to do the accents:

http://spanish.about.com/od/writtenspanish/a/typingaccents.htm

I have a .txt file at home that has all the possible symbols that are not on the keyboard, but I don't have it here.  It also has the numeric combinations, like the ones Nadine posted above.  But do you what I find to be the easiest way?  Just copy and paste that list into a file, and then when you need to use one, just open the file and copy/paste what you need (the symbol itself, not the code)!  No need to memorize codes!

I tried one of the ones in Nadine's list, and got a totally different symbol than I expected.  I tried one from that article I posted (it's on the second page), and that worked, so I'm also posting the list from that article: (note - I found out what I did wrong: Nadine's list requires the Num Lock to be on, and the list below does not)

• á — 0225
  • Á — 0193
  • é — 0233
  • É — 0201
  • í — 0237
  • Í — 0205
  • ñ — 0241
  • Ñ — 0209
  • ó — 0243
  • Ó — 0211
  • ú — 0250
  • Ú — 0218
  • ü — 0252
  • Ü — 0220
  • ¿ — 0191
  • ¡ — 0161
  • « — 0171
  • » — 0187
  • — — 0151

If you're going to do it that way, remember that you need to use the numeric keypad, not the row of numbers at the top of the regular keyboard.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SueWho Wrote:

Mark, on page 3 of the Welcome and Introductions thread, participant Nadine posted a response to this question.   Her response was as follows:

-----------------------------

Sue, you were a couple of minute faster than I was! Thanks.

Nadine

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you. To All Who Have Posted Bits and Pieces of info...My daughter has a similar method,but she also uses word ,she is fluent.. ..This will help me more than you know..Since I am intimidated and must get over it..Not much in this world intimidates me,..so I will get over it.:  )  Susan Vtc....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
donelsonj
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

My name is Jeanette and I'm from Ohio. I have never taken Spanish (just German, 40+ years ago). My sister winters in Mexico and we have visited her several times. We are planning on going again, and this time I would like to be able to communicate at least a little bit. I am looking forward  to this.

Contributor
peg_loves_books
0 Kudos

Hola! Me llamo Peggy.  I have a son living in Honduras, married to a young honduran woman, Ana & they have a son, Aaron (mi nieto).  Ana is learning english & I have been learning spanish.  I thought this course would be kind of neat in interacting with others who are learning.  I've started the 1st chapter and so far it is a review of what I already know, though it is helping me to confirm what I know so far. I still consider myself a beginner, so I hope to learn much. I have already learned from some of your "gracias" frases that you have posted.  I have trouble putting sentences together, so it was a great help: an 'ah-ha' moment.  thank you very much.

New User
Letsgocats
0 Kudos

Is it too late to join in?  I have one year of college Spanish and would like to advance.

New User
bici-doble
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

¡Hola!  

While researching a Nook,  I found this site...serendipity! Especailly, since at this time I'm living in Chile, which allows lots of opportunities for practicing Spanish.  However getting the CD/book es imposible porque el correo is on strike. 

This is my first venture into blogging...so I'm not even sure if I'm doing este pequeño mensaje correctamente.  But I'm excited about the opportunity of getting feedback from all of you, about blogging and mi español

salud,

judy

Contributor
Faerie
0 Kudos

While that is one way to get your accent marks there is another method that I have found especially useful especially when typing longer papers and such in spanish. I have my bachelor's in spanish and without this tool I would have been at the computer way longer. 

There is actually the option under Control Panel to change the keyboard layout, so no typing lots of extra keys to get the accented letter, just the apostrophe then the letter you want.  So under control panel, go to Regional and Languages, select the tab "languages", then click on Details, then add and find spanish, there are some different options for spanish, but I have never had an issue using the modern or traditional sort setup.  I hope this helps some people out, I know it helped me greatly.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 286 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: