Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

About the Book & Author

Body Surfing by Anita Shreve

Title: Body Surfing

At the age of 29, Sydney has already been once divorced and once widowed. Trying to regain her footing, she has signed on to tutor the teenage daughter of a well-to-do couple as they spend a sultry summer in their oceanfront New Hampshire cottage.

But when the Edwardses' two grown sons arrive at the beach house, Sydney finds herself caught up in a destructive web of old tensions and bitter divisions. As the brothers vie for her affections, the fragile existence Sydney has rebuilt is threatened.

With the subtle wit, lyrical language, and brilliant insight into the human heart that has led her to be called "an author at one with her métier" (Miami Herald), Shreve weaves a novel about marriage, family, and the supreme courage it takes to love.

About the Author: For many readers, the appeal of Anita Shreve’s novels is their ability to combine all of the escapist elements of a good beach read with the kind of thoughtful complexity not generally associated with romantic fiction. Shreve’s books are loaded with enough adultery, eroticism, and passion to make anyone keep flipping the pages, but the writer whom People magazine once dubbed a “master storyteller” is also concerned with the complexities of her characters’ motivations, relationships, and lives.

Shreve’s novels draw on her diverse experiences as a teacher and journalist: she began writing fiction while teaching high school, and was awarded an O. Henry Prize in 1975 for her story, “Past the Island, Drifting.” She then spent several years working as a journalist in Africa, and later returned to the States to raise her children. In the 1980s, she wrote about women’s issues, which resulted in two nonfiction books -- Remaking Motherhood and Women Together, Women Alone -- before breaking into mainstream fiction with Eden Close in 1989.

This interest in women’s lives -- their struggles and success, families and friendships -- informs all of Shreve’s fiction. The combination of her journalist’s eye for detail and her literary ear for the telling turn of phrase mean that Shreve can spin a story that is dense, atmospheric, and believable. Shreve incorporates the pull of the sea -- the inexorable tides, the unpredictable surf -- into her characters’ lives the way Willa Cather worked the beauty and wildness of the Midwestern plains into her fiction.

Discover all titles and editions from Anita Shreve.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book & Author

Anita Shreve has a writing style that is not like no one elses I have read and I have read alot of authors. It seems every book she writes,is so different, with the type of subject and the characters. It is with great surprise that you read each novel being they are entirely different.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Of course, the reason for my love for her books, is because of the strong women theme in all of them. How women survive from harsh elements that smash at the center of their very souls. THose souls are rebuilded with Shreve's ingenous intelligent writings.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

This story is so different from any I have read that I can remember. But it is so heartfelt, with the pain and suffering, we remain strong at the end.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Linda,

I've heard that about Shreve's novels - that they're not at all the same. Would you say the same thing about Jodi Picoult? I find her novels to have a common thread, but all are very different types of stories.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Linda,

I've heard that about Shreve's novels - that they're not at all the same. Would you say the same thing about Jodi Picoult? I find her novels to have a common thread, but all are very different types of stories.

Yes, Stephanie. Jodi Picoult's books are all entirely different but are about radical controversial issues that everyone differs on. That is why they are so interesting to discuss. She has one in March, are you doing that?
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Yes, Linda, Nineteen Minutes. Love Jodi Picoult. This Anita Shreve novel is making me want to read much more of her work, though. I really like the style she's using.

Group: What do you all think of the short clips, especially early on in the novel?
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 624 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: