Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Daniel_B
0 Kudos

Book Finds by Ian C. Ellis

[ Edited ]
It’s surprisingly difficult to find good books on book collecting. There are many different price guides and references of various sorts (we’ll discuss some of these later), but these rarely lay out the principles that every good book collector should be familiar with.

The best general resource on the subject is Ian C. Ellis’s Book Finds: How to Find, Buy, and Sell Used and Rare Books. As the title implies, Ellis covers nearly every aspect of collecting – from determining what to collect to repair and restoration. I’ll be returning to Ellis’s book in many of my posts and I encourage participants in the club to become familiar with it (although this isn’t required).

Daniel

Message Edited by Daniel_B on 06-22-2007 05:39 PM
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

Re: Book Finds by Ian C. Ellis

My library does not have this book so I had them borrow a copy from a local college library fo me. Hopefully it will be here soon so I can check it out. It sounds very informational. I never realized how many books there were out htere on collecting books!
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I know these are fiction, not legitimate reference books, but do you have any opinion on how accurate the book evaluations and discussions are in John Dunning's Bookman (and now bookwoman) series? I've greatly enjoyed the books, but I've had no idea whether he was making up or exaggerating the book collecting information for literary effect, or whether his discussions are "the real thing."
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
I know these are fiction, not legitimate reference books, but do you have any opinion on how accurate the book evaluations and discussions are in John Dunning's Bookman (and now bookwoman) series? I've greatly enjoyed the books, but I've had no idea whether he was making up or exaggerating the book collecting information for literary effect, or whether his discussions are "the real thing."

... I saw your earlier exchange on Dunning and have heard others mention him before, but I'm not familiar with the series. If you want to give any examples of book collecting-related facts from the books for me to verify or refute, feel free.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 176 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: