Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Re: #1: The Book Explorers Just Read It List

IBIS wrote:
I'm also a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, ever since I visited the Guggenheim Museum in Manhattan when I was 12. I remember thinking that the architect was a better artist than the contemporary art show I was seeing there. For the life of me I don't even remember who the artists on exhibit were.

But I remembered Wright, and his architecture. Was Loving Frank a biography by his wife? I'm sure you learned a lot about Wright's personal life. As a teacher of Construction Technology, did the book teach you new things about your field?

IBIS

I've always thought that Wright's goal in designing the Guggenheim was to demonstrate the that architecture is a superior art. You're right, it's impossible to concentrate on the art with that magnificent structure all around you. Some people criticize him for that, after all, it is supposed to be a space for viewing art. But I love it. There is a little art museum in Des Moines, Iowa that was designed by I.M. Pei. It is the exact opposite of the Guggenheim. A perfect art-viewing space. I think both buildings are great accomplishments.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Yikes! So many choices to put here but I think I'll just stick with my favorites that are "off the beaten path" and have not hit it big in the best seller lists or the mainstream. (A couple may have made it and I'm just unaware). I'm horrible at giving brief descriptions but I will try.

Fiction:
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert--epic tale of a Hawaiian girl's life on the island of Moloka'i (a leper colony), beginning early 20th century.
A Blade of Grass by Lewis DeSoto--an exploration of the relationship  in the tumultuous 1970s between two women of different societies in South Africa.
A Black Englishman by Carolyn Slaughter-- A tale of a British woman's experiences with her new Army husband and Indian lover in early 20th century India.
The Night of the Avenging Blowfish by John Welter--Laugh out loud story of a secret service man's capers at the the White House and his wish to find love.
Sophie and the Rising Sun by Augusta Trombaugh--Heart touching cross-cultural love story in a gossipy, small southern town during WWII.
The Rich Part of LIfe by Jim Kokoris--heart warming and humorous story of a family's experience after winning a lottery. Character rich and told from an 11 year old's perspective.

Non-Fiction:
Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm--memoir of a college student's winter in the mountains trying to emulate a mountain man's way of life with little experience.
Persian Girls by Nahid Rachlin--memoir of a woman's girlhood in pre-war Iran and her early time in America and the women she left behind.
Manhunt by A. Swanson--Exceptional account of the days searching for John Wilkes Booth after the assassination of Lincoln.
Early Bird by Rodney Rothman--a memoir of early retirement. A man in his late 20s decides to retire and live in a retirement village in Florida.
In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick--Informational account of the Whaleship Essex and the sinking of the ship that inspired Moby Dick.
Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz--Sociological look of how the effects of the Civil War can still be seen today in the American south (sounds dry but it's not!).

Well, that's my short list!

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Whoops! Forgot to add 2 more books to my Fiction list:

The Sparrow and Children of God (in that order) by Mary Doria Russell--these two books took me totally out of my box. The Sparrow is sort of a cross between sci-fi space travel, colonization, and religious philospohy. I never would have read this book if my book club hadn't chosen it but once I finished I had to get the companion piece, Children of God (a view from the other side of the story). Awesome set to read (don't let the sci-fi or religious philosophy parts scare you away if that isn't your "thing").
New User
garyg
0 Kudos

Thank you, for this list.
I am very interested in broadening my "genre" if you will, in books this summer.

So thank you again.

Gary G.
Contributor
therapist
0 Kudos

I'd like to suggest:

The Debt: The Story of a Past Redeemed by Angela Hunt. It's an excellent book that gives people a look at what I would call true Christianity outside the 4 walls of a church building. 

0 Kudos

I see someone else already suggested A Prayer for Owen Meany, so I will suggest Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen. 
New User
Bookworm1288
0 Kudos

I suggest anything by Charles de Lint. His books are abstract but deal with the struggles that many go through.

New User
LvnEvryMin
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!  I just joined today and was excited to see a list of must reads.  I wanted to add a few of my own.

"The Glass Castle"...........Jeanette Walls.....her story of childhood with very unconventional parents and her siblings..and how they overcame the obstacles.     I cried and laughed all the way through this book.... at some points I was angry with the parents, but it was a great story.

"Gods in Alabama"..... Joshilyn Jackson....... a story about the past coming back to haunt a girl who knew that going back to the south would never be the same.  "There are Gods in Alabama: Jack Daniels, high school quarterbacks, trucks and also Jesus.  I left one back there myself, back in Possett.  I kicked it under the kudzu and left it to the roaches."       LOVED this book.... just bought her "Between, Georgia" yesterday.

"A long way gone; Memoirs of a Boy Soldier".........Ishmael Beah......... This book left me in tears throughout the story.  I usually don't read things like this, but had talked with a friend who read it and told me to "just try it"............ I am SO glad that I did!  True story of the authors life as a child soldier in Sierra Leone.

I have many more...will add to it later. 

"A mind is like a parachute, It only functions when it is open."
Reader 2
slandrey
0 Kudos

arts-letters wrote:
I recently finished "A Good and Happy Child" by Justin Evans. Usually a non-fiction reader, I decided I needed something a little different. While browsing in the bookstore, a brightly colored cover illustration caught my eye. The first page drew me in immediately, and the book kept me reading well into the night. Suspensefully told by this first time novelist, this story invites the reader to ask the question: Does truth need to be seen and touched, or is truth a leap of faith? With a child's health and future at stake, the author takes the reader on a journey through a child's eyes, a view of the world yet to be tainted by conventional beliefs.

Such a good book. I read it myself this summer, and couldn't put it down. I think I read it from cover to cover without a couple breaks to eat something. It brings up some very interesting issues about what the human mind is capable of. What's really interesting is the religious aspect brought forth in the book, and what "visions" the mind or outside force can produce. How does society handle the "truth" of these experiences? 

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
- Albert Einstein
Contributor
ellarogue
0 Kudos

Here are some just-reads and recommendations:

1. Scheisshaus Luck by Pierre Berg - memoir, an account of the Holocaust from a non-Jewish perspective

2. What Happened to Anna K. by Irina Reyn - a modern take on Anna Karenina

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Ella,

What Happened to Anna K. is the November pick for Rachel's "New Reads" group - I'm sure she'd love to have you drop by!

ellarogue wrote:

Here are some just-reads and recommendations:

1. Scheisshaus Luck by Pierre Berg - memoir, an account of the Holocaust from a non-Jewish perspective

2. What Happened to Anna K. by Irina Reyn - a modern take on Anna Karenina

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
ellarogue
0 Kudos

How do I find this list? I'm new on here...
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome to Book Explorers! The Just Read It List is an ongoing endeavor. There isn't one centralized list -- all the books are within the individual posts in this thread. So go back to the beginning and read through! Then add your favorites.

Thanks,
Ande

ellarogue wrote:
How do I find this list? I'm new on here...

Contributor
ellarogue
0 Kudos

thanks Ande! I was actually looking for the Rachel's "New Reads" group that another moderator mentioned in a previous post...
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The direct link to Rachel's board is here but when you're in the long list of groups you can find her board under the "Books and Author Boards" section.  The group is finishing Jennifer Haigh's The Condition and will start Anna K. on Monday, November 3.

ellarogue wrote:
thanks Ande! I was actually looking for the Rachel's "New Reads" group that another moderator mentioned in a previous post...

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Well, come visit us again! We're loads of fun.

Ande

ellarogue wrote:
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I just finished Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson. It is a quick read and a really sweet book about two lonely women of different generations. Keep a tissue handy at the end. I loved it.

twj

Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

My son recommended that I read The Places in Beween.  I agree with IBIS that this is a must read book.   It takes you on an adventure to places you will never go.  It was sad, funny, and exciting to read.    

New User
melissadawn
0 Kudos

"Elsewhere," by Gabrielle Zevin. It is aimed at younger (teenage) readers, but the idea of Elsewhere and the characters in the book are thought provoking and tear jerking at times! Once I started this book, I literally could not put it down until I was finished. It is a fairly quick read, but a wonderful one!!! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

My recent find was The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones. It was a great ficitonal novel which explored culture and the effects of food and culture.