Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
booksmartfool
0 Kudos

Re: #1: The Book Explorers Just Read It List

recent reads  that I wished I could have shared with someone after I read them:

China Road  - Rob Gifford

Eat,Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

Travel Writing - Paul Ferry

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Sex,Time & Power - Leonard Shlain

How We Die - Sherwin Nuland

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

After viewing yr list I believe you would also like "The Shadow of the Wind" Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Did you sign up for the "First Look Book Club"  Just follow the posts and they guide you through. Good way to share .This is a very good Community to be in...Susan VtCozy
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
imaladygolfer
0 Kudos

Here's a vote for one of the best books I have ever read:

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Stein

fairly recent release; don't know many people who have read it yet, but those I know who have, concur with me!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Just finished Trollope's Marion Fay.  I place it among his good but not his best books.  

Most of the way through a re-reading of Barchester Towers, which I love.

0 Kudos

One book that I read recently which I couldn't put down:

After the Fire by Robin G. Fisher.  An amazing account of 2 Freshman in college that had been burned horribly in a dorm fire and their recovery.  

New User
VivaciousReader
0 Kudos

luciadelabyss wrote:
Hello! I generally stick to science fiction and fantasy, but occasionally something totally different will jump out at me. Lian Hearn has written a wonderful series based on ancient Japanese culture. The first book is "Beyond The Nightingale Floor". She received a fellowship to Japan to learn of the history and culture. While the story is not based on real royal families, the story is solid with great characters. Her details of the countryside are so vivid that you can easily visualize the landscape as the people walk thru it. There are several plots woven thru the story, but they all tie together. There is tragedy and romance and battles...never was I bored!

I found the book through the author's name, not the title.  Apparently the title is "Across the Nightingale Floor" not Beyond.  Thanks for the recommendation either way.  It's on my list of books to find at the library!

Contributor
ellarogue
0 Kudos

Has anyone here read 'Telex From Cuba' by Rachel Kushner?

I recently finished it - beautiful writing, complex and very interesting characters, very good debut novel.

New User
sierra58
0 Kudos

I've loved reading everyone's suggestions.  I have a couple books to recommend.

Water For Elephants - I love books that make me look at life sideways or at least from a new perspective.

The Sweet Potato Queens First Big Ass Novel By Jill Conner Browne  This is a light read about fitting in and friendship.  Its a quick read.

Add me to the Wild about Harry group! These are probably the first books I needed to read as soon as they came out.  From Goblet of Fire on, I preordered these.

I'm now reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.  I read Pride and Predjudice years ago and wasn't into it at all.  Now 40 years later, I couldn't put it down. I think I might try

Love in the Time of Cholera again, too.

sierra58
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Just finished E.V. Lucas's biography of Charles Lamb.  Wonderful stuff. Long out of print, but available on interlibary loan. 
0 Kudos

The Lazarus Project-Hemon

The Commoner-Schwartz

The Border of Truth-Redel

A Day of Small Beginnings-Rosenbaum

The Story of a Marriage-Greer

twj

Contributor
imaladygolfer
0 Kudos

Just got through reading Gardens of Water by Alan Drew.   Anyone else read it?