Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: #1: The Book Explorers Just Read It List

I'm also a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, ever since I visited the Guggenheim Museum in Manhattan when I was 12. I remember thinking that the architect was a better artist than the contemporary art show I was seeing there. For the life of me I don't even remember who the artists on exhibit were.

But I remembered Wright, and his architecture. Was Loving Frank a biography by his wife? I'm sure you learned a lot about Wright's personal life. As a teacher of Construction Technology, did the book teach you new things about your field?

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
ML
Contributor
ML
0 Kudos

I just finished Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera. I don't know why it took me so long to read one of his books. It was amazing! Although, I'm never sure how much of the "amazing" part should really be attributed to the translator as well.

One of my students suggested the following must-read: The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Has anyone read this yet?
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome, ML:

That's one of my all-time favorite books. Have you read others by Marquez?
New User
MyIrish11
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho - I don't know how I lived before I read this book.

"Everything is Illuminated" and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer

"Love is a Mix Tape" by Rob Sheffield

Message Edited by MyIrish11 on 12-18-2007 10:36 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
Thanks for your input. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is on my ever-expanding list and my ever-expanding list of her books. Have you read other books by Barbara Kingsolver -- especially some of the early ones?

I read the Poisonwood Bible. It was about a missionary preacher who went to Africa with his family. The daughter was the narrater. I read it years ago, it seems but I remember the story. Its still very vivid to me as being a rememorable remarkable book. I have read most of her first ones about adopting or either caring for a child. But mostly I remember Poisonwood Bible. She is a good writer but just hasn't written very much. Especially in the style of Posionwood.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

MyIrish11 wrote:
"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho - I don't know how I lived before I read this book.

"Everything is Illuminated" and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer

"Love is a Mix Tape" by Rob Sheffield

Message Edited by MyIrish11 on 12-18-2007 10:36 PM

Truly you are right! I did not think logically before I read Coelho's Alchemist. And now I have got to get busy and buy some more of his books before they go out of print. I love a realistic writer as he is.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

That's quite the endorsement! Thanks.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Greetings, MyIrish11. Welcome to Book Explorers and thanks for adding to the ever-growing Just Read It List.
ML
Contributor
ML
0 Kudos

Next I will get to One Hundred Years of Solitude, but I am now reading What is the What by Dave Eggers for my book club.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

One Hundred Years of Solitude is magnificent. Another one for you, if you haven't read it already (and for all fans of magical realism): The House of the Spirits, by Isabel Allende. The movie version of that was so disappointing that I'm going to pass on the film adaptation of Love in the Time of Cholera. Unless someone can convince we otherwise. Has anyone seen it?
Contributor
aglassmd
0 Kudos

OK, Ande --

I'm new to this list -- but I'm goin' jump right in and take your suggestion about The Sheltering Sky. I'm on my way to the local B&N to get it.

Does anyone else have the problem that sometimes you read a book that is so good that when you are done you cannot find anything else to read? It's crazy...but I have about 200 books in my TBR "room." This list is great, because I can get so many new ideas and share some of my hidden treasures.

Here's a couple of my suggestions:

The Linnet Bird by Linda Holeman

The Best of Friends by Sara James & Ginger Mauney

Both of these were "stay-up-all-night-until-I'm-done" reads.

Amy
ML
Contributor
ML
0 Kudos

Ande,

You should go see the movie anyway. I remember when A Scarlet Letter came out and I was so against seeing it, but a professor once convinced me to see the film adaptations, even if they are considered "horrible." It's a good way to reflect on images and characters depicted through another's eyes, even if the story does not strictly adhere to the book.

ML
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Thanks for the push. I'll let you know how it works out.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

That's the spirit, Amy. Thanks for adding to the list. Let me know what you think of The Sheltering Sky. And the film adaptation is beautiful to watch.

Speaking of films: I guess I better read Atonement before seeing the movie. Whenever I do it the other way around I regret it.
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

I just finished the book "Coal Black Horse" by Robert Olmstead. What an incredible book about the Civil War. It is only 218 pages but is a book I would read again .The author gives such a real image to the battles and the death and destruction of the war. It is a book I highly recommend. Yvonne
New User
boboflo
0 Kudos

kmcryan0809 wrote:
Inside the Kingdom: My Life in Saudi Arabia by Carmen Bin Ladin

this book was written by Osama bin laden's former sister-in-law. it talks a little about the bin ladin family and the culture of saudi arabia. i thought it was amazing.

LOL love your tag
Teresa
New User
boboflo
0 Kudos

I am just reading The memory keeper's daughter (almost finished) The Alchemist is next I am halfway reading Ishmael. I just finished reading a teen series by Stephenie Meyer Twilight series and I loved it.
Thanks for all the suggestions. My wish list is growing by leaps and bounds.

If anyone has a small child or in my case a 12 yr old daughter growing up right before my eyes, read You are my I love you. I think she will like the reminder of the old days when I sang her to sleep or read to her.
Frequent Contributor
kmcryan0809
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

boboflo wrote:

kmcryan0809 wrote:

this book was written by Osama bin laden's former sister-in-law. it talks a little about the bin ladin family and the culture of saudi arabia. i thought it was amazing.

LOL love your tag
Teresa

you mean the thing that says "Gaspard Ulliel is he true Edward Cullen"? or the thing that says "it's all fun and games until the vice-president shoots you in the face"? if you really liked the twilight series you should go check out the thread "What are your hopes for Breaking Dawn?" it's pretty interesting what people come up with and how excited they all are about the next book. i have to say i cant wait for august and the next book in the series.

Message Edited by kmcryan0809 on 12-24-2007 08:35 PM
-Kay

"It's all fun and games until the vice-president shoots you in the face."

Gaspard Ulliel is the true Edward Cullen
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
For lists of books and ideas for reading, try Nancy Pearl:

Book Lust

More Book Lust

Ms. Pearl is a librarian in Seattle.

A number of her suggestions have made my TBR file/pile -- I have not, however, kept track of origins, so can't tell you what HAS been read from among her recommendations. Still, just perusing her categories and suggestions is fun.

Message Edited by Peppermill on 12-26-2007 03:20 PM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
boboflo
0 Kudos

kmcryan0809 wrote:

boboflo wrote:

kmcryan0809 wrote:

LOL love your tag
Teresa

you mean the thing that says "Gaspard Ulliel is he true Edward Cullen"? or the thing that says "it's all fun and games until the vice-president shoots you in the face"? if you really liked the twilight series you should go check out the thread "What are your hopes for Breaking Dawn?" it's pretty interesting what people come up with and how excited they all are about the next book. i have to say i cant wait for august and the next book in the series.

Message Edited by kmcryan0809 on 12-24-2007 08:35 PM

The one about fun and games....lol funny
My son says it all fun and games until someone starts bleeding all the time.