Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: The Leper Compound - finished!

Melissa:

Thanks for taking the time to read The Leper Compound and for writing such a thoughtful and intelligent review! Would anyone else like to add to this?

Ande
Contributor
robertafking
0 Kudos

Hi Melissa,
I finished Leper Compound back a bit. I totally agree with your comments about not belonging and your observation about Sarah. Sometimes people with a disability find community more naturally than the rest of us do. This book was pretty complex, as you mentioned many themes to consider.
I enjoyed your insights.
Roberta
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

You're welcome :smileyhappy: It was a very good story so thanks to you at LVF for getting it out there for us to read. 

Bellevue Literary Press is a new imprint, I think, yes?
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
Paula_Nangle
0 Kudos

Melissa,

Like Roberta and Ande, I appreciated your careful reading. The title, as you said, has much to do with Colleen being outside of boundaries. Many of the characters are marginalized in some way -- the people with leprosy, the children in quarantine at Groote Schuur. Your comment about Sarah is very accurate.When writing about her, I kept assuming that she would also be marginalized, but she seemed curiously able to adapt.

Bellevue is a new imprint, a project of the New York University School of Medicine in its second year.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Paula

Learn more about The Leper Compound.