Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: The Leper Compound - finished!

Melissa:

Thanks for taking the time to read The Leper Compound and for writing such a thoughtful and intelligent review! Would anyone else like to add to this?

Ande
Contributor
robertafking
0 Kudos

Hi Melissa,
I finished Leper Compound back a bit. I totally agree with your comments about not belonging and your observation about Sarah. Sometimes people with a disability find community more naturally than the rest of us do. This book was pretty complex, as you mentioned many themes to consider.
I enjoyed your insights.
Roberta
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

You're welcome :smileyhappy: It was a very good story so thanks to you at LVF for getting it out there for us to read. 

Bellevue Literary Press is a new imprint, I think, yes?
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
Paula_Nangle
0 Kudos

Melissa,

Like Roberta and Ande, I appreciated your careful reading. The title, as you said, has much to do with Colleen being outside of boundaries. Many of the characters are marginalized in some way -- the people with leprosy, the children in quarantine at Groote Schuur. Your comment about Sarah is very accurate.When writing about her, I kept assuming that she would also be marginalized, but she seemed curiously able to adapt.

Bellevue is a new imprint, a project of the New York University School of Medicine in its second year.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Paula

Learn more about The Leper Compound.