Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

#20 Announcement of The Spirit of the Place reading copy giveaway

[ Edited ]

May 15th UPDATE: Thanks for the enthusiastic response! Our supply of advance reading copies is now spoken for. We hope to get your books in the mail by the end of this week.

Greetings, Book Explorers:

This is my 20th post and I have a great treat to help us celebrate our judgment-free, just-read-it community filled with people of all ages, all tastes, from all sorts of locations and, who knows, maybe even all shapes and sizes.  A few weeks ago (see #16) I mentioned that the Literary Ventures Fund is supporting Samuel Shem’s new novel, The Spirit of the Place

Would you like to be part of a discussion with the author about this wonderful new book that will be published in June? And would you like a free advance reading copy sent to you? We have a limited number of those to give out so speak up –- it’s first come, first served.

I figure we’ll mail the books out by the end of this week and start the discussion in early June, which will give you a few weeks to read the book. As I said, I really love it and it is a fast fun read.

To refresh your memory about the book:

The Spirit of the Place is about many things –- love, loss, family, community, leaps of faith –- a small-town doctor and a not-so-sure-he-wants-to-be-a family doctor are at the heart of this very insightful, charming and funny book. If you are a fan of Empire Falls, by Richard Russo, and all it has to say about community and connection then you will enjoy this book very much.  

Does the author’s name ring a bell? Samuel Shem wrote The House of God, the classic novel about medical internship, which was recently named by the British medical journal The Lancet as one of the two most important American medical novels of the 20th century, the other being Sinclair Lewis’ Arrowsmith. It has sold over two million copies, in thirty languages and is required reading in medical schools throughout the world. If there is a doctor in your family or you have a friend who is a doctor chances are he/she got or gave this book as a gift.

Here’s what some other talented authors have to say:

‘'The Spirit of the Place is written with a large heart, a healing touch, wry and wise insight into the human condition. Worthy of the Best of Samuel Shem, which is worthy indeed.'"

James Carroll, National Book Award Winner and author of House of War

"A deeply moving and profoundly intelligent exploration of the complexities and rewards of family, profession, and place. The story of a young physician returning to his small town becomes a tale with universal meaning. This book continues to resonate in the mind and heart long after it is read."

Jerome Groopman, M.D., author of How Doctors Think

"In this lovely novel Samuel Shem brilliantly describes scenery from the Italian Lakes to the Hudson River Valley with vivid enchanting detail. But his real subject is the landscape of the human heart with its dangers and delights, its vertiginous cliffs and mossy woods, its comforts and contradictions. This is a wonderful book about the surprises of human connection and the infinite power of love."

Susan Cheever, author of American Bloomsbury

Looking forward to a fun discussion!

Ande

Message Edited by ande on 05-12-2008 06:21 PM

Message Edited by ande on 05-15-2008 09:09 AM

Message Edited by ande on 05-15-2008 09:18 AM

Message Edited by ande on 06-01-2008 12:47 PM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: #20 The Spirit of the Place discussion in June with author

I sent a little note to the address, so if I get one I'll help discuss a little :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Thanks so much! You always make great contributions.
Contributor
olivia-yasmin
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Olivia. I hope to participate in the discussion. I have also sent an email for an ARC.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome, Olivia! Looking forward to hearing your thought on The Spirit of the Place.
Ande
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Re: #20

My name is Phyllis and I would be happy to read the ARC copy and discuss it with the Author and other on the BN.com Book Clubs site.  As requested I sent an email with my name and address.

Phyllis
Contributor
blondemom74037
0 Kudos

ARC Spirit Book Offer

I hope all the copies aren't claimed. I would enjoy reading this.
Judy
Reader
thescarlette
0 Kudos

Re: ARC Spirit Book Offer

I would also like to read this. I sent an email begging "pick me!". I feel like I'm back in third grade waving my hand in the air. :smileyvery-happy:

Scarlett - Fayetteville NC
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Hi Judy:
If you sent an email to the address I supplied you should be getting a book.
Ande
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: #20

Thanks! And welcome to Book Explorers.
Ande
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Thanks, Scarlett. Welcome to Book Explorers!
Ande
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

#20 The Spirit of the Place ARC

Ande, I've sent an email for an arc of Spirit... I hope to add to the discussion once I've started....

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: #20 The Spirit of the Place ARC

Great. You're a lively contributor!
Ande
Contributor
klmnca
0 Kudos

Re: #20 The Spirit of the Place

Hi--I'm Kelly and I just sent an email hoping I get lucky! I've never participated in an online discussion, but really hoping I get the chance to start! I've been a reader all my life and just recently discovered all the wonderful opportunities on the web for this type of activity.
Frequent Contributor
Readingrat
0 Kudos

Re: #20 The Spirit of the Place discussion in June with author, free advance reading copies

Hi. I'm new to this group and I'm hoping to get a chance to participate in this discussion. I sent my email now I'm crossing my fingers.
:smileyhappy:

Thanks,
Elaine
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Re: #20 The Spirit of the Place discussion in June with author, free advance reading copies

I just requested my free book -- hope I get one --  :0)
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

I sent a message for one too...looks like an interesting book...hope I get one. I would love to discuss the book!!
Thanks for the chance!
Frequent Contributor
DONNAJG24
0 Kudos

Re: #20 The Spirit of the Place discussion in June free advance reading copies available

My name is Donna and I live in Gainesville GA. I sent an email requesting a copy. I hope that it isn't too late. I look forward to reading and discussing it with everyone!!

Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

Re: #20 The Spirit of the Place discussion in June free advance reading copies available

Hi Everyone, I sent my e-mail yesterday and haven't heard back yet.  I just saw the post that copies are now gone, I hope I made the cut!  I really want to read this. 
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I hope, too, that you got in under the wire. But, if not, you should know that discussion will go on for awhile so if you don't get a freebie and end up buying the book you won't miss out.