Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

#25 Feather Man, by Rhyll McMaster. Update: Giveaway copy offer is over! Thanks to all.

[ Edited ]

August 2 UPDATE: Thanks to all who signed up for a free copy of Feather Man.  But be prepared to start the discussion right after Labor Day. I'll post the discussion schedule soon, set up a "say hello" space and also let you know what week author Rhyll McMaster will be visiting us in Book Explorers.

Dear Book Explorers:

Enough of you have said that you would read and participate in a discussion of Feather Man, so I am offering advance reading copies of this amazing first novel by the much-applauded Australian poet Rhyll McMaster. It will be published in September in the UK, US and Canada. The plan is to have you read Feather Man in August and we shall start our discussion right after Labor Day. We have a limited amount of books so please don’t ask for one if you really don’t intend to participate in the discussion. Last time we did this we ran out of books and some very motivated Book Explorers didn’t get a chance.

Feather Man was published in Australia in 2007 and was enthusiastically reviewed there and has won all sorts of prestigious awards. As you know I am the editorial director of the Literary Ventures Fund and we are teaming with Rhyll McMaster's British publisher, Marion Boyars, to bring Feather Man, to readers in the United States.

About Feather Man: Set in Brisbane, Australia, during the stultifying 1950s, and moving to the grubby London of the 1970s, Feather Man is about Sooky, who, ignored by her parents, is encouraged to make herself scarce and visit Lionel, the farmer next door—there, an incident will take place that will impact the rest of her life.

Against the backdrop of rural Australia and the London art world, McMaster meticulously paints the landscapes of Sooky's internal and external worlds through a narrator that brings to mind Scout of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Following Sooky from her neglected childhood to womanhood and her entry into the art world, the book combines comedy with emotional intensity. When Sooky’s attraction to Redmond leads her to London, her past follows her into the future in a deadly confrontation.

Awards and acclaim:

An American Booksellers Association pick for September

Winner, the Barbara Jefferis Literary Award

Winner, University of Technology, Sydney, Glenda Adams Award for New Writing

Short-listed for the Australian Literary Society's Gold Medal Award

Catherine O'Flynn, author of What Was Lost, says: “Feather Man is at once both unflinching and poetic. McMaster's unique perspective illuminates the hidden corners of the lives she portrays.''

And more:

Sooky's unflinching eye and sense of humor imbue the book with complexity and vitality. It's clear that McMaster is a poet. —Forward Magazine

"Let me say that Rhyll McMaster is an extraordinary writer. Her prose is dazzling, poetic and thought-provoking, and this is literary fiction at its best... I have likened Rhyll McMaster to Margaret Atwood. Atwood is brilliant, but in my view McMaster is even better. Feather Man has quite rightly won literary prizes in Australia and my money is on Feather Man making the Booker Prize longlist here." Vulpes Libris 

A striking work...McMaster's insights, by turns moving and mordant, are always wise, and if the unraveling of Sooky's life is profoundly unsettling, it is all the more satisfying when she learns how to ravel it back together. This is literature that sticks to the bones.—Lynn Stegner, author of Because a Fire Was in My Head

"Rhyll McMaster has struck gold with her debut novel of betrayal and loss...This is a stunning, dark story with tight, controlled prose. Unforgettable. Five Stars" Goodreading Magazine

Thanks to you all.

Ande

Message Edited by ande on 07-29-2008 10:56 AM
Message Edited by ande on 08-02-2008 12:09 PM
Message Edited by ande on 08-02-2008 12:10 PM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: #25 Feather Man, by Rhyll McMaster, giveway! First come, first served.

I remember hearing somewhere that this was the ABA pick for September so now I'm intrigued (and for anyone who reads the blurbs toward the bottom, Lynn Stenger's novel was one of the first LVF books mentioned on the Book Explorers board).
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

hi,

i don't use windows mail so i can't send the email. i tried another computer but i couldn't do it on that either. i haven't had this problem before. any suggestions?

twj 

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

If you can't "point and click" to get a mail client to work you should be able to highlight, copy and paste the address into the "To" portion of your message, whatever client you're using :smileyhappy:

thewanderingjew wrote:

hi,

i don't use windows mail so i can't send the email. i tried another computer but i couldn't do it on that either. i haven't had this problem before. any suggestions?

twj 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

thanks for the info. i think i am confused about the process of identifying my email to me if i don't send it from the link on the book explorer's website.

i called my server and i set up a windows mail account and hopefully it worked. i did it on my computer with vista. now i have to figure out how to do it on my computer with 2000!

twj

pedsphleb wrote:

If you can't "point and click" to get a mail client to work you should be able to highlight, copy and paste the address into the "To" portion of your message, whatever client you're using :smileyhappy:

thewanderingjew wrote:

hi,

twj

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

TWJ:
 If all else fails send me a private message with your mailing adddress and I'll make sure you get a copy.
 Ande
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

thanks for that wonderful offer. i will take you up on it, but is there anyway for me to check to see if the message got through properly?

ande wrote:
TWJ:
 If all else fails send me a private message with your mailing adddress and I'll make sure you get a copy.
 Ande

twj 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

i sent mbisbee.beek@gmail.com a regular email and she said just send her my address so i did. sorry to cause so much trouble but thanks so much for everything!
twj

ande wrote:
TWJ:
Ande

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

No trouble at all! Glad you got it figured out and that you will be joining us for a lively discussion of Feather Man.

Ande
Contributor
LollySirk
0 Kudos

This book sounds extraordinary.  Hope I get one.  The world has released its hold on me so now I am free to indulge myself and jump into something for ME.  Thanks in advance.:smileyhappy:
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

LollySirk:

If you send your email request in today to the address provided you should be all set.

Thanks for joining in!

Ande
Frequent Contributor
wbarker
0 Kudos

Hi Ande/Group,

I sent in an email, and hope to be able to join in the discussion.  The book sounds very intriguing, and I love to read about characters and watch them develop and grow through experiences.

It sounds like a great book that will provide us lots of opportunity for discussions!

:smileyhappy:  Wendi

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Terrific. It's a great book for discussion and as we did with The Spirit of the Place I will ask author Rhyll McMaster to join us, too.

Ande
Contributor
therapist
0 Kudos

I sent in my e-mail and was told my copy was being shipped today. I do have a question, though....will we be charged for this book? I know, I'm going about this backward---requesting book first, then asking the question....but, that's just how it happened.
0 Kudos

I love having the opportunity to hear from and interact with the author!   What a great opportunity for the group!! 
Contributor
dege
0 Kudos

I am very interested in obtaining a copy of this great new book and participating in the discussion. How exciting to be one of the first readers! Thank you.
DMJ
Reader 2
DMJ
0 Kudos

Would love the opportunity to read and discuss this new novel. Thanks very much. DMJ
Contributor
moeh
0 Kudos

If there's still room, I would love to discuss this book choice.  Maureen
Frequent Contributor
ashen_rain
0 Kudos

Sent an email earlier this evening.  Hope to get a reply soon!
This discussion sounds like a great opportunity, especially if the author will be joining us!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

It's a giveaway! So it's free and all I ask in return is that you read Feather Man and be ready to discusss it in this forum right after Labor Day. Deal?
Ande