Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

#35 Have a happy! How about a round of Book Snoop (Holiday Version)?

[ Edited ]

Book Explorers:

Sorry for my absence. I was hit with a perfect storm of freak accidents and long-distance family health crises (husband badly broke his arm in two places; both in-laws had medical meltdowns). Everyone is doing much better – including moi! But for several weeks I felt like a cross between a farmer (moving from one chore to the next) and an air-traffic controller (keeping all the balls in the air and praying that they don’t crash).

I see while I was otherwise occupied that many of you traded ideas and recommendations. Also, there are some new Explorers on board who found us and say they feel at home with us. A warm welcome to all of you.

Thanks to all for the ongoing contributions to the standing JUST READ IT LIST. I originally started that thread as a reaction to the sameness of “Best of” lists. Even during this brutally tough year in the book industry there have been an avalanche of books. Why does it seem the media only focus on a very narrow group? But I know YOU have more imagination and also you have the devotion to seek out hidden gems. The folks at B&N have created a place on this site to list your picks and if you feel so inclined, click here.

Speaking of hidden gems: if those of you who discovered how smart, funny and talented Feather Man author Rhyll McMaster is during our month-long book group this fall and wondered what she sounds like, here’s your chance. She was just interviewed on the widely syndicated BBC/PRI’s The World. Click here and then scroll down for the Dec. 18th audio.

Many of you are traveling this week and next or spending time at others’ homes. How about a lively round of Book Snoop -– Holiday Version? For those of you who never have played, here’s how it works: Do not ask people what they are reading. Instead observe, spy, be nosy and report back to us. Look for books in hands, on seats, on ticket counters, in suitcases, on bedside and coffee tables. It also would be great to know what city, country or airspace you’re in at the time of the sighting.

Finally, Book Explorers, I wish you the happiest, healthiest and safest holiday season. I was reminded recently what a great group you are when I read an article about how some book groups are so contentious and some members so obnoxious that they have to hire facilitators. I suppose that is what I am but you guys are so smart and generous and imaginative and kind to each others and so game for any crazy thing I throw at you that I can’t think of a time when I had to referee.

So I raise my cup to you. See you January 5th.

Ande

Message Edited by ande on 12-22-2008 06:13 PM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: #35 Have a happy! How about a round of Book Snoop (Holiday Version)?

Glad to see you back, Ande!! :smileyhappy:

Hmmmm, Book-Snoop holiday version.....

I think it would be an understatement to say that not only am I selling massive amounts of the Twilight series but I see them toted around everywhere.

Scarpetta is a popular one as well as Marley and Me (movie coming out).

We just finished finals here so I'm seeing a lot of mass market romance and sci-fi emerge from hiding to replace pages of highlighted notes and textbooks.  I'm not sure of specific titles but many of them look very well-loved or are library books.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Ande, good to have you back. You were sorely missed.

I too have spotted "Twilight" and its sequels on my travels. I flew to Florida to visit relatives, and the movie itself was on the little screens in front of many fellow-passengers.

What a social phenomenon this "Twilight" series is. The author must be laughing her way to the bank!

Happy Holidays.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

I have been seeing a lot of 'Twilight' as well, especially in the middle and high schools where I teach.  Marley & Me is a big one as well, especially with the movie coming out on Christmas Day.  The movie coming out seems to have attracted more people to the book.  Although I am a dog lover, M&M did not appeal to me at first, but after I read it ~ I loved it!  I've read it several times now.  Another thing I've been seeing many of the women in my own circle reading are 'autobiographical fiction' books, books that aren't really autobiographies, but are written as though they are, especially books about women from history, such as 'I, Elizabeth' (about Elizabeth I) or Jean Plaidy.  Phillipia Gregory is another popular one right now, especially among women I know and see.  Another one I've been seeing is 'the Story of Edgar Sawtelle' (which I've been meaning to read for myself).  A lot of people are still reading Obama's books.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu2
0 Kudos

Ande, I'm so sorry to hear about what you've all been through.  Hope this new year brings nothing but good health to you and your family.
Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

Wow!  This has been a bad year in general, but sounds as though you in particular are having a very rough time right now!  Hope things are going better!