Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

#8: I ♥ booksellers

Greetings Book Explorers:

Just back from a big bookseller conference in Louisville and I just have to say that I loved spending a couple of days with hundreds of booksellers. Why am I so crazy about them?

1. They are smart
2. They are interesting
3. They love books
4. They love talking about books
5. They are great conversationalists
6. They are great listeners
7. They are passionate about what they do
8. They have great senses of humor
9. And they’re just so pleasant to be around (or at least compared to most people)

Some highlights:
My Literary Ventures Fund colleagues, Jeffrey and Kate, and I were invited to present the books our foundation supports to the huge conference crowd. Quite an honor and opportunity since we were the only non-publishers there talking up our books. We got an excellent reception. Lots of buzz already about MONIQUE AND THE MANGO RAINS (featured here in Book Explorers), which more than one bookseller told me has the potential to be another THREE CUPS OF TEA -- wouldn’t that be grand! Also lots of enthusiasm for the two books we’re featuring here in February: THE BIG EDDY CLUB and THE LEPER COMPOUND, which has just gotten terrific reviews in the LA Times and San Francisco Chronicle. Please read these books. They are amazing and I’ll have the authors drop by Book Explorers in February.

Best bookseller name: Emoke. She came by to chat and told us that her name, Emoke, is the name of Attila the Hun’s favorite concubine. Who knew he had time for such things?

Danny Meyer, star restaurateur, knows a thing about food (too bad he didn’t cook the breakfast we were eating) and how to treat people. He gave us all a lesson in hospitality, which is a valuable skill whether or not you have a restaurant empire. It’s all about making people comfortable and making sure they know you are listening. Maria: good book for you and other foodies or anyone who wants to know what makes or breaks a dining experience.

There are so many good books coming out this spring. I brought back a dozen or so of the most alluring advance reading copies. I’ll keep you posted as I make my way through the pile.

My colleagues and I used our free time to stumble upon a terrific little neighborhood barbecue place on the edge of downtown Louisville (Wood City Barbecue), visit the Muhammad Ali museum and the Louisville Slugger factory.

While we’re on the subject: pitchers and catchers report to spring training in a few weeks. This ridiculous winter is almost over.

What's the best book you read this winter? And what do you have lined up for spring?

Ande
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: #8: I ♥ booksellers

Thanks Ande! We love you too :smileyhappy: And thanks to the LVF for supporting great books.

I read so many books this year I don't know if I could decide with was the best - I would have to say The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I'm looking forward to reading Toni Morrison's Beloved in April with the Literature by Women group.

ande wrote:
Greetings Book Explorers:

Just back from a big bookseller conference in Louisville and I just have to say that I loved spending a couple of days with hundreds of booksellers. Why am I so crazy about them?

1. They are smart
2. They are interesting
3. They love books
4. They love talking about books
5. They are great conversationalists
6. They are great listeners
7. They are passionate about what they do
8. They have great senses of humor
9. And they’re just so pleasant to be around (or at least compared to most people)

Some highlights:
My Literary Ventures Fund colleagues, Jeffrey and Kate, and I were invited to present the books our foundation supports to the huge conference crowd. Quite an honor and opportunity since we were the only non-publishers there talking up our books. We got an excellent reception. Lots of buzz already about MONIQUE AND THE MANGO RAINS (featured here in Book Explorers), which more than one bookseller told me has the potential to be another THREE CUPS OF TEA -- wouldn’t that be grand! Also lots of enthusiasm for the two books we’re featuring here in February: THE BIG EDDY CLUB and THE LEPER COMPOUND, which has just gotten terrific reviews in the LA Times and San Francisco Chronicle. Please read these books. They are amazing and I’ll have the authors drop by Book Explorers in February.

Best bookseller name: Emoke. She came by to chat and told us that her name, Emoke, is the name of Attila the Hun’s favorite concubine. Who knew he had time for such things?

Danny Meyer, star restaurateur, knows a thing about food (too bad he didn’t cook the breakfast we were eating) and how to treat people. He gave us all a lesson in hospitality, which is a valuable skill whether or not you have a restaurant empire. It’s all about making people comfortable and making sure they know you are listening. Maria: good book for you and other foodies or anyone who wants to know what makes or breaks a dining experience.

There are so many good books coming out this spring. I brought back a dozen or so of the most alluring advance reading copies. I’ll keep you posted as I make my way through the pile.

My colleagues and I used our free time to stumble upon a terrific little neighborhood barbecue place on the edge of downtown Louisville (Wood City Barbecue), visit the Muhammad Ali museum and the Louisville Slugger factory.

While we’re on the subject: pitchers and catchers report to spring training in a few weeks. This ridiculous winter is almost over.

What's the best book you read this winter? And what do you have lined up for spring?

Ande

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Awwwwwwwwwww. I'm feeling the love, thank you <3 :-) That's my bad attempt at an upside heart hat.

Name of the Rose: Always meant to read the book because I have seen the fascinating movie five times. I wish I had more eyes -- or two heads -- so I could catch up on my reading.

Beloved: Extraordinary book. I was pulled into the dream/nightmare plot and hypnotic prose and couldn't put it down. It haunts me, still, as it should.

Ande

Message Edited by ande on 01-31-2008 05:37 PM
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

I am new to this website so please be patient! The best book I have read this year has to be Mary - Mrs. A. Lincoln by Janis Cooke Newman. I can't wait to see what this author is working on.

The story goes all the way back through Mary's life with reflections on her time in the institution. I learned a lot about Lincoln's life that I had either forgotten or just never knew. I am also from Chicago so I was very familiar with the locations they discussed in the book. Fantastic! If you haven't read it yet it is well worth the 620 pages.

I can't wait to hear more about the Spring releases! Thanks
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome to Book Explorers, Erina. As I said to someone the other day who expressed their "newness," I had never done anything like this before either. It's easy, it's fun and I have found the folks who come to Book Explorers to be thoughful, generous, smart and funny. Hope you stick around and check in often.

Thanks for stopping by.
Ande
New User
mediamongul
0 Kudos

I set a goal this year that I would read 60 books and it has been extremely hard to pick a favorite so far. I am currently reading the Mists of Avalon and are loving it. I have all the rest of the books in the series by Marion Zimmer Bradley as well and would have to say the Avalon series are the best books I have read this winter.

Come spring I will embark on Roots and Gone with the Wind and so many more.
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
Welcome to Book Explorers, Erina. As I said to someone the other day who expressed their "newness," I had never done anything like this before either. It's easy, it's fun and I have found the folks who come to Book Explorers to be thoughful, generous, smart and funny. Hope you stick around and check in often.

Thanks for stopping by.
Ande

Thanks Ande!
Frequent Contributor
erina
0 Kudos

Thanks Ande!