Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
mcknzbwl
0 Kudos

Re: BOOK SNOOP!

Hi Jessica:  I see that you have read Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I just finished one
of her earlier books for my Book Group.  It is called Stern Men. 
Hope you try it.  Let me know what you think.  Donna McKenzie.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

mcknzbwl wrote:
Hi Jessica:  I see that you have read Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I just finished one
of her earlier books for my Book Group.  It is called Stern Men. 
Hope you try it.  Let me know what you think.  Donna McKenzie.

Actually, I'm among the group of people who have not read it.

Everyone on my train to work seems to have read it though... :smileytongue:
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Saw something new today on the bus - someone was playing a Nintendo (??) hand-held, whatever those are called (obviously I am not a gaming afficionado). 

Other than that there were many newspapers; I was reading Susan Jacoby's The Age of American Unreason.   
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I saw someone reading the brand new Beautiful Boy (a father's story about his son's meth addiction) yesterday. I read the author's original article in the NYTIMES magazine that was turned into the book and that was plenty for me. But it's the new Starbuck's pick so I'm probably in the minority on that.

Ande
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

Now I will reveal myself as a non-coffee-drinker but I had no idea Starbucks had "picks" -- what is a pick for Starbucks ?  Is it a suggestion, are there discussions, are the titles for sale at the stores?  Seems a bit off their core business- maybe that is why they had to close and re-train this week.:smileywink:

ande wrote:
I saw someone reading the brand new Beautiful Boy (a father's story about his son's meth addiction) yesterday. I read the author's original article in the NYTIMES magazine that was turned into the book and that was plenty for me. But it's the new Starbuck's pick so I'm probably in the minority on that.

Ande

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I think Starbucks has been in the bookselling business for only a year or so and they sell one title at a time, I believe -- not certain how many they plan on offering each year.  And I have no idea why they decided to get into the book business is the first place. In any case, their CD business is much more active.

I agree with you: they should concentrate on making better lattes.

Ande
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

There were an inordinate number of newspapers today (bad news tends to spike the paper sales around here).  The only other reading material on the bus besides my copy of Then We Came to the End was a Bible.  And it was being read aloud by a guy with some poor personal hygiene.  Pretty sure he was reading Revelations.  It wouldn't have been so bad except he was trying to be louder than the pack of little kids on their way downtown.  They were excited.

It was noisy.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Hi Jessica:

I'm a little late joining this discussion, but thought I would respond to your question:

Jessica wrote:

hi all,

here are a few more books i snooped this morning:

yet another Eat, Pray, Love (if you've read this book, please post and let us know why you think it's so popular... other than the Oprah touch. every time i look up, it seems, someone's reading this book.)

jess

I am about a third of the way through Eat, Pray, Love and think it is fantastic! It is more than Gilbert's writing style--I do love her descriptions, honestly and self-effacing humor--what I really like is that I can identify with her struggle to find her true self and learn from her experiences.

You said you've seen a lot of people reading it--I'm wondering about the age group. Would you say that most of the people are mid 30's to mid'40's? I suspect that Gilbert has struck a chord that many of us in that age span can relate to.

Beth
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

My response to "Eat Pray Love"-fabulous.  I read it , found it the most delicious dive into life, love  and a spiritual journey.  Her search for love was earthbound and heaven sent and I just could not let this book down.
The combination of food, prayer and love, cravings I guess, but so real and so intensely written and described  The words   filled me with memory and in a way a longing . 
 I admired her struggle to find herself and learn to let go and be forgiving of herself was touching. 
I could go on and on, but I won't belabor.  I just felt a strong connection with her, having known the same guru and also share her love of good food and her struggles in her relationships. Joan

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I spied several book the last few days:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Rose Madder by Stephen King
My Name is Anne (author unknown, but it's about Anne Frank)
Several books of crosswords and Sudoku
A Susan Hooper mass market and a Mary Higgins Clark (too far away for a title)
Uplift War (mass market sci-fi I think)

I've been reading Villette, Then We Came to the End, Birdsong, The Devil in the White City, and Beloved.

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 04-08-2008 06:38 PM
Melissa W.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Great finds I read and loved The Historian.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I was flying from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale last week; the woman sitting on my left  was reading Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Love, Pray. We spend the entire 3-hour flight discussing the book.

The woman on my right was gripped by our conversation; she said she'd grab a copy of the book on her way home.

Word-of-mouth advertising. What a wonderful thing.

IBIS

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Today I caught sight of someone reading In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower from Proust's In Search of Lost Time.   (As well as several Sudoku games and a bunch of class notes - it's finals week here)
Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

pedsphleb, r u a student?
**DLN**
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Not really - I'm trying to go back to grad school to get an advanced degree in literature.  I finished my master's in epidemiology so I'm a research assistant in the college of medicine right now and I work for B&N to support my book habit.

iloveloveloveedward wrote:
pedsphleb, r u a student?

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

ok, i just ask b/c of what u said earlier.
**DLN**
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

flyjo9 wrote:
My response to "Eat Pray Love"-fabulous.  I read it , found it the most delicious dive into life, love  and a spiritual journey.  Her search for love was earthbound and heaven sent and I just could not let this book down.
The combination of food, prayer and love, cravings I guess, but so real and so intensely written and described  The words   filled me with memory and in a way a longing . 
 I admired her struggle to find herself and learn to let go and be forgiving of herself was touching. 
I could go on and on, but I won't belabor.  I just felt a strong connection with her, having known the same guru and also share her love of good food and her struggles in her relationships. Joan

You could be a book reviewer! You described my reaction so well. I think it was her utter honesty that I loved so much. So often people seem to have an agenda when they write a book but she seemed to just be open to the truth.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I must be in the minority because I just did not like that book. I got two-thirds of the way through and then just could not read anymore. I do like her writing style-she is quite witty, but I found it annoying. Maybe I just have been over-exposed to the recent onslaught of memoirs, i.e. James Frey, Augusten Burroughs. I don't find them very credible and they seem more like fiction than non-fiction.

I love this thread because I am always book-snooping. Anytime I see someone with a book, I try to get the title, love to get ideas for new books!
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

On an American Airlines flight to Dallas the people in my row were reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Zoo Keeper's Wife, and Crispin (haven't heard of Crispin). 
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Crispin is a children's book by the author Avi (who has many, many other titles for kids and YA).

pjpick wrote:
On an American Airlines flight to Dallas the people in my row were reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Zoo Keeper's Wife, and Crispin (haven't heard of Crispin). 

Melissa W.