Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
dizzyreader

Book social networking sites

I love a good book discussion and the forums here are fantastically busy and occupying! But what are people's favourite book social networking sites? In some ways I like Shelfari, the visual nature of it is great, but it has it's limitations. Goodreads for me is a bit boring and naff. The one I've been trying lately and quite enjoying is BookArmy, which is only just out of beta but has a promising number of users already.

Anybody else recommend any better sites?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Re: Book social networking sites

Thanks for the leads.  I took a quick look at BookReads.  From the list of most read books and the favorite authors of some of the members it looks heavily into current books and genres.

You might check out the book discussions at Yahoo groups.  There are tons of them, some  with little or no recent activity, some very active.  

dizzyreader wrote:

I love a good book discussion and the forums here are fantastically busy and occupying! But what are people's favourite book social networking sites? In some ways I like Shelfari, the visual nature of it is great, but it has it's limitations. Goodreads for me is a bit boring and naff. The one I've been trying lately and quite enjoying is BookArmy, which is only just out of beta but has a promising number of users already.

Anybody else recommend any better sites?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check the yahoo pages out!
Frequent Contributor
karinlib

I am a member of goodreads.com as well.  I think what i like about it, is all the books I have looked up for a review have been available, and I have found the reviews helpful. I like having my own online library.
Inspired Correspondent
bookaholic_girl

Lately, I've been using weread.com. It is really cool. I have a book club on their for teens, as well. No offense to B&N but the recommendations on weread are more accurate, but not perfect, and I love how you can sort things into lists. I still like coming here too though.

~I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.~
Philippians 4:13
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

I've tried similar sites such as Shelfari, and got bored with it pretty quickly.  As far as the best . . . this has got to be it.  It's very difficult having a book discussion online I think.  So I am more one that likes to share what I've read, see what others are reading, and have an easy way to buy the product or reserve it at my local store.  Plus the other content such as author inteviews and local store events all built into one makes this the best place.

With purpose and on purpose