Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Maya2
0 Kudos

Bookstores

I am new to the club.  I love reading and have sooo many books.  What do you guys do with all your books? 

I work in a college bookstore but am losing my job because they are leasing it out to some other company.  I live in Wisconsin and love my job.  I want to work in another bookstore. This club looks interesting.  I just picked up Deepak Chopra's Perfect Health. Has anybody read any of his books? This is my first.

Patty

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Bookstores

I am new to the club.  I love reading and have sooo many books.  What do you guys do with all your books?

I build bookshelves.  And build more bookshelves.  And more bookshelves.  And pay lots of money to mail dozens of boxes of books when I move (it's cheaper, or at least used to be cheaper, to mail them than to pay moving company rates which are based on weight).  Then things got so bad that when we built our retirement home I built a two-story library into it. And even then there are bookcases all over the house for those that won't fit into the library, and I left several thousand at our old house (now our guest house) because they wouldn't fit into the new house, and in about a year or two I'll have filled all available bookshelves here and will be building more bookshelves.  

In case you hadn't guessed, I buy books and I keep them.  

0 Kudos

Hi Patty:

Glad you found us. Welcome. You may be interested in reading our earlier discussion about how we all deal with our loads of books

Ande

Maya2 wrote:

I work in a college bookstore but am losing my job because they are leasing it out to some other company.  I live in Wisconsin and love my job.  I want to work in another bookstore. This club looks interesting.  I just picked up Deepak Chopra's Perfect Health. Has anybody read any of his books? This is my first.

Patty

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

You know, Nicholas Basbanes really ought to interview you for one of his books.  Perhaps he'll write a sequel to A Gentle Madness

Everyman wrote:

I build bookshelves.  And build more bookshelves.  And more bookshelves.  And pay lots of money to mail dozens of boxes of books when I move (it's cheaper, or at least used to be cheaper, to mail them than to pay moving company rates which are based on weight).  Then things got so bad that when we built our retirement home I built a two-story library into it. And even then there are bookcases all over the house for those that won't fit into the library, and I left several thousand at our old house (now our guest house) because they wouldn't fit into the new house, and in about a year or two I'll have filled all available bookshelves here and will be building more bookshelves.  

In case you hadn't guessed, I buy books and I keep them.  

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Maya2 wrote:

After I read (or abandon) a book I start loaning it out (I usually have about 10-15 out at one time). When I get them back I keep the ones I liked and swap the others out with either a used book store or paperbackswap.com. I'm very limited for space. Wish I had Everyman's space, that was one of my dreams as a young girl, to have a room with walls and walls of books!

New User
sierra58
0 Kudos

I read Chopra"s The Way of the Wizard.  I thought it was insightful and helped me look at life from a new angle.
sierra58
Distinguished Correspondent
Taylor-Marie
0 Kudos

Oh I keep them! I could never sell those books. Most of my books I've already read at my school library and if I love them I go out and buy them.
I'm running out of floor space in my room so right now I'm working on investing in some shelves since my fantastic 5 shelf bookcase is getting cramped.

Some say I should get rid of the books, like my old Animorph books when I was younger (maybe) or the book with the binding holding on by an inch and a coffee stain on the front (Rebel Angels by Libba Bray)

But I can't bring myself to do so, even though I'm widening out my genres that I read (a lot of more classics, just started Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov).

So its either shelves on my wall or being packed in with my dvds in my amoire.

-------------------
My teachers tell me I daydream too much....I tell them they work too much.
Frequent Contributor
leighvmewithmyimagination
0 Kudos

I never sell back a book!  It's a disease.  I have 848 books (yes I have list of all the books I own-how else will I know what I've got, what I've read, and what I want to buy next?), not counting my college textbooks - two and a half bookshelves full and approximately 11 tupperware boxes full. 

I think I've only gotten rid of two books since I've been collecting my "personal library"  and it was because it was the worst book I have ever read.....

novel_gal
0 Kudos

Wow, I just moved to a smaller place and unfortunately my books don't quite fit, so I'll be storing some of them for awhile.  I just hate getting rid of any in case I want to re-read one of them or loan it out....I think it is an obsession :smileytongue:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I have 848 books (yes I have list of all the books I own-how else will I know what I've got, what I've read, and what I want to buy next?),

Let's see whether you still have an exact count when you get above 10,000!  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Kudos

wtg on having almost 900 books!!!!!! I'll be there eventually, unfortunatly my mom gave a good deal of my books away the first time we moved so i was left with only the books that i didnt read yet ( i was VERRRRY upset when i realized she gave them all away!)

But ive been attacking the Goodwill stores around me to up my collection and my TBR pile :smileyhappy: