Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Gina: Male authors and their female characters

[ Edited ]
I'm pleased -- and often amazed -- when male writers get women so right and so true. Alan Cheuse's Gina is a perfect example -- particularly his dead-on portrait of her mid-life miseries. What do you think? Who are some other authors you admire who have taken on this high-wire act?

Message Edited by ande on 09-03-2007 05:38 PM
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Gina: Male authors and their female characters

Tell us, Alan, as a author who populates his books with women characters, how did you develop such a knack for writing in a woman's voice? Many of us wonder how you manage to get it so right.
Author
AlanCheuse
0 Kudos

I suppose I'm a latent Jungian, because I believe that we have both
states of mind in our heads from birth onward...(or, as my writer friend
James Houston puts it, in a comic mood, "Men are women, too....")
The rest is part of the writer's work of noticing everything everything
everything that happens around him/her...
The most famous example of this is, of course, "Madame Bovary" and coming
after that, perhaps, "Anna Karenina"...but look at what George Eliot does
with her MALE characters, and Joyce Carol Oates...("Women are men, too....")
A.C.

Learn more about The Fires.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Do you ask a woman to give you feedback on what you've written before it goes to your editor? Or are you so experienced at this point that you feel confident about your ability to get the voice right.
Author
AlanCheuse
0 Kudos

I give everything to my wife to read, and I'm confident that she will
tell me the truth about her responses. And I've always benefited from
comments from editors at various publishers and magazines.
You probably know that when he was writing "Sons and Lovers" D.H.Lawrence
asked his then girl friend Jesse Bernard to write the sequences about
the protagonist's girlfriend from her point of view?
so, yes, I'm experienced and confident, and at the same time questioning
and wondering if I've gotten things right...

Learn more about The Fires.